Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

you and me both. I am adding way more in suede and calf lately than shell. I find myself reaching for it the least frequently and am somewhat lazy with my shoe care regiment these days

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

The last shells I went nuts over were those navy vibergs, really unique great stitching. I actually just stepped regimen up a notch, picked up bick four, oblp, lexol, and some fiebings as well.

3. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

If you haven't checked them out, Rancourt and Carmina might reawaken your interest . . . both have unique colors and MTO programs (Carmina's is pretty expensive unless you can find enough people for a group, but Rancourt's is close to AE in price).

4. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

C&J and EG does MTOs as well.

5. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

Aaaaand a 2nd pair of Lexington MTO's arrived today. This time a bit different than the last... Bourbon Calf and flat wheeled welt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specs:
    - Lexington Cap-Toe Oxford
    - Leather: Bourbon Calf
    - Exposed antique brass eyelets
    - Tone on Tone stitching
    - Chili flat welt
    - Wheeled and fudged edges
    - Double butyl leather outsole
    - Light brown transparent edge dressing
    - Standard Brown leather insole

6. bbob2013

bbob2013 Senior member

These look great, as well as your CXL creation! How different are these side by side? Color profiles look very similar.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

No help with the Voyager dilemma? Planning on calling in to Allison tomorrow.

8. Harryd14

Harryd14 Member

These are some amazing and inspiring AE designs. As a new member to the forum and AEs it's nice to see what can be done. Can't wait until I am ready to order myself a pair of mtos.

I haven't come across any LaSalle mtos on here, are they not a popular style or just don't offer them in different variations?!

9. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Ill take a stab. I think your design would work well. One other idea is to make an all white voyager to make it look like a trainer with a red vibram gumlite sole. I bet those would be very comfortable.

You can also go use the same leather they used for the banchory/cronmok/chukkamok (comes in tan, brown, blue, and grey) which is really butter soft. I would say use the grey uppers with red gumlite sole.

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

What do you think about suede? That might work to "trainer" them up a little...

11. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

Not very different side by side. In fact, when I first opened the boxes I thought they'd made a mistake and used the same leather on both of them. I guess I didn't realize that Bourbon and Golden Brown CXL were so similar in color. But at the sale price, I'm not fretting about it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure any leather choice or stitching choice can make those look good. I'd keep looking...

12. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Hmm I saw it before but I'm really not feeling that shoe so I didn't say anything haha.

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Thanks. I think the standard makeup uses the super soft Neumok leather. I was thinking CXL due to it's more weather-resistant qualities.

I dig the gumlight sole, but I don't think it's quite grippy enough for wetter conditions or playground/park days with the kids.

Hmm. Suede. Interesting. That opens up some different color choices. I suppose when well-treated they're as weather resistant as full grain leather can be, though I think I would still feel a bit ginger about stomping around in the park with them.

I think I'm opting for comfort over looks, and trying to find a shoe that I won't have to throw away after a year (like Clark's or Rockports). For feet as wide as mine (3E-4E), I'm limited in options. After burning through 3 pairs of Clark's in 3 years, I've sworn them off. And I really don't like wearing canvas sneakers when I'm not running.

I know it's rather ugly, but do y'all really think it looks worse than what else is out there in my size? Hope not!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

14. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

In terms of roughing it it up, I agree that CXL may be the leather to choose. The reason I suggested the chukkamok leather though is to get colors that I feel is more appropriate for a sneaker. I just feel that brown looks like its still trying to be a smart looking leather shoe, even though the design looks like it was copied from a sneaker.

What soles are you thinking? Maybe a red harrier or a red dainite would work, though I feel that the red dainite doesnt have enough give to be called a playground sole.

As for your other hoices, I prefer the voyager.

15. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

the Voyager is on the 1 last, which leaves you a lot of options that would look much better and fit similarly. what about the Gridiron with a crepe sole and flat laces?