• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous. Truffle was a special run a while back, wasn't it? My #8 Cambridges are some of my favorite examples of the cherry red that burgundy shell can be, and yours remind me of that.

Can't bring yourself to wear the blue shell? I've seen multiple pairs of blue shell now, and I want a pair badly but I guess since MTO is gone I will be waiting a while :violin:

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous. Truffle was a special run a while back, wasn't it? My #8 Cambridges are some of my favorite examples of the cherry red that burgundy shell can be, and yours remind me of that.

Can't bring yourself to wear the blue shell? I've seen multiple pairs of blue shell now, and I want a pair badly but I guess since MTO is gone I will be waiting a while :violin:
There are other shoemaker out there that will take your money for a superb navy shell, if so inclined. @peppercorn78 listed several on the previous page that are top notch

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m sharing these as a small symbol that perhaps AE is making changes that will allow successful MTO again.

These arrived this weekend, after being held up during production while new systems were implemented.

I’m not sure that they’d be considered MTO in this group. The changes were minor, and the order slipped in at the 11th hour — just before any sort of changes were disallowed last summer. I went with a lug sole instead of Dainite, and contrast welt stitching.
C2A4F58D-5C99-461C-A163-3ABBBDEFA98E.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen some of the manufacturers but I prefer GYW over Blake and I just can't seem to find a style that I like. For whatever reason I'm stuck in the Alden/Allen Edmonds styles; I just love 'em. Maybe it's just the way Americans make shoes, some of the European ones just don't feel like they'd fit my style, if that makes sense :embar:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen some of the manufacturers but I prefer GYW over Blake and I just can't seem to find a style that I like. For whatever reason I'm stuck in the Alden/Allen Edmonds styles; I just love 'em. Maybe it's just the way Americans make shoes, some of the European ones just don't feel like they'd fit my style, if that makes sense :embar:

Taste is taste! But just so you have complete info, of the makers I listed above, Carmina is GYW, and Bonafe and Vass both use handwelting, which is superior to GYW and Blake Rapid in every way.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@peppercorn78, Ah maybe I don't have the full picture then! The photos I've seen of Carmina don't seem to show channel stitching on the soles.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@peppercorn78, Ah maybe I don't have the full picture then! The photos I've seen of Carmina don't seem to show channel stitching on the soles.
Closed channel stitching. The leather is reglued in place to hide the stitches. It's a higher end technique due to the time involvement. I have a pair of vintage Johnston and Murphy gator oxfords and J Fitzpatrick button boots that have closed channel stitching. It's a nice bit of finishing, even if it doesn't change the function of the shoe.
A quick reader for you:
http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2014/10/closed-vs-open-channel-sole-stitching.html

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, this is a Higher end technique used by makers like John Lobb and Edward Green. It makes the shoe look much nicer and protects the stitch for greater durability. It also drives labor cost way up.

Vass and Bonafe also do this
on leather soles. It’s actually default practice in shoemaking. Stitching “aloft” as Loake and Alden do was an invention of practicality and efficiency. For a factory operating at efficiencies to keep cost down, the greater sole life is not worth (to them literally, as it increases longevity of soles) the increase in time and effort for each pair.

These days the prime benefit is visual attractiveness, as actual impact on durability will vary from pair to pair and person to person.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Closed channel stitching. The leather is reglued in place to hide the stitches. It's a higher end technique due to the time involvement. I have a pair of vintage Johnston and Murphy gator oxfords and J Fitzpatrick button boots that have closed channel stitching. It's a nice bit of finishing, even if it doesn't change the function of the shoe.
A quick reader for you:
http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2014/10/closed-vs-open-channel-sole-stitching.html

Very good read, thank you. Clears a few things up in my mind!

Yes, this is a Higher end technique used by makers like John Lobb and Edward Green. It makes the shoe look much nicer and protects the stitch for greater durability. It also drives labor cost way up.

Vass and Bonafe also do this
on leather soles. It’s actually default practice in shoemaking. Stitching “aloft” as Loake and Alden do was an invention of practicality and efficiency. For a factory operating at efficiencies to keep cost down, the greater sole life is not worth (to them literally, as it increases longevity of soles) the increase in time and effort for each pair.

These days the prime benefit is visual attractiveness, as actual impact on durability will vary from pair to pair and person to person.

Thanks for the explanation. Always learning from this group :cheers:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads