• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Happy Memorial Day. Allen Edmonds Navy Shell Cordovan Tassel. Navy and Red Argyles. LBM Linen Blend Trousers.

Allen Edmonds Navy Shell Tassels - 2018-05-28 - 1.jpg

-Mike

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E339F747-EBE9-4FFD-A1CC-E95F848B416E.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, been a while since I stopped by! Got married and moved across the country so I've been a little busy. :tongue: I believe it was posted, already but since AE was bought again, I was told they put the MTO program on hold for the time being. I was not given a time frame if (or when) they will restart the program :censored:

My sales rep (Kristle) is no longer with the company since the Jeffersonville store closed. She suggested I work through the Mebane, NC store (I'm not in NC), but I have seen a lady named Ashley mentioned. Should I get in contact with her?

I posted many moons ago about a black shell Fifth Avenue and they finally came to me last month after about six months of mishaps at the factory :brick: I'll try to get photos attached here sometime soon. They really turned out great with my options!

Sorry for the long winded post, but the one shoe I am after big time is a natural shell strand... Unobtanium? I know Mike the mayor has one and I always see photos of it online on various sites.

Cheers

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello, been a while since I stopped by! Got married and moved across the country so I've been a little busy. :tongue: I believe it was posted, already but since AE was bought again, I was told they put the MTO program on hold for the time being. I was not given a time frame if (or when) they will restart the program :censored:

My sales rep (Kristle) is no longer with the company since the Jeffersonville store closed. She suggested I work through the Mebane, NC store (I'm not in NC), but I have seen a lady named Ashley mentioned. Should I get in contact with her?

I posted many moons ago about a black shell Fifth Avenue and they finally came to me last month after about six months of mishaps at the factory :brick: I'll try to get photos attached here sometime soon. They really turned out great with my options!

Sorry for the long winded post, but the one shoe I am after big time is a natural shell strand... Unobtanium? I know Mike the mayor has one and I always see photos of it online on various sites.

Cheers
Yes. Ashley is very good. I'm in Texas and buy everything from Kristen in NJ. Interested to see how your pair came out!
Goooooood luck with the natural shell. Contact Ashley, give her your size, and she'll see if she can find anything hidden away. Otherwise, hope against hope that someday we get a trunk show or MTOs open back up. Or, you'll be looking to other companies to fulfill your natty shell needs!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Ashley is very good. I'm in Texas and buy everything from Kristen in NJ. Interested to see how your pair came out!
Goooooood luck with the natural shell. Contact Ashley, give her your size, and she'll see if she can find anything hidden away. Otherwise, hope against hope that someday we get a trunk show or MTOs open back up. Or, you'll be looking to other companies to fulfill your natty shell needs!

Thank you very much for the details! Where is Ashley located? A vote for Kristen? I was in Cincinnati and bought my MTOs from Kristle in Jeffersonville, having never met in person. I am in St. Louis now. There is an AE store and also a few Alden retailers (boo hiss) that I may check out for new styles.

It's a shame because Alden's answer to the Strand just doesn't compare. I know that folks say they do some shoes better, but the AE Strand is a sight to behold!

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers

Ashley is at the Charleston SC store. She and Kristen at Paramus are often and widely recommended. I can vouch for Ashley’s awesomeness personally.

Looking forward to seeing the 5th Ave!

I think the strands that @mdubs has are walnut shell (IIRC). I have some in natural and wore them yesterday:
3EAAFEF3-6E71-4094-BABF-5978046B8090.jpeg

Ashley found these for me, by the way...

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do however, want to see about Alden's unlined LHS in shell... That seems like a grail shoe. The Shoe Mart has a few special ones, but Alden seems like a mystery sometimes. AE seems to have bar none customer service and Alden and special ordering from them seems like quite a daunting task.

Thanks and sorry for my rambling.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ashley is at the Charleston SC store. She and Kristen at Paramus are often and widely recommended. I can vouch for Ashley’s awesomeness personally.

I think the strands that @mdubs has are walnut shell (IIRC). I have some in natural and wore them yesterday:
View attachment 985420

Oh my.... :nodding: Those are nice!! It is really a shame they don't offer the Fifth Ave in shell, but it looks oh so good. I'll get photos up soonish. Been preparing for a large professional exam. Alden makes a cap toe balmoral (Fifth Ave) equivalent that looks fantastic. I'll give Ashley a call!!

Is the natural shell the closet shade to AE's walnut in calf? That's what I am after. A light shade that really pops. I have some unline Walnut Shell Dalton's I got off a member here and they are great but I wanted something lighter!

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh my.... :nodding: Those are nice!! It is really a shame they don't offer the Fifth Ave in shell, but it looks oh so good. I'll get photos up soonish. Been preparing for a large professional exam. Alden makes a cap toe balmoral (Fifth Ave) equivalent that looks fantastic. I'll give Ashley a call!!
When you talk to Ashley/Kristen/Jay they all will tell you the condition of the shoes before you buy, and you can pretty well trust them to let you know of anything that might turn you away.

Alden is another animal, especially if you aren't a D width. I don't think they're doing natural unlined shell make ups these days, and you'll have to get on a list to have a chance to purchase in a couple years if they are... I'd argue that rare shell might be even harder to acquire new from Alden than AE was before the MTO shutdown. You're best bet on that front is to find a used pair. Be prepared to pay for them though...

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

View attachment 985420

I have Strands in Walnut Shell, Natural Shell, and Garnet Shell... :) I formerly had a pair in Brown Shell, but sold them when I got an Alden Cigar Shell version.

Walnut Shell
AE Walnut Shell Strands - 2018-01-16 - 1.jpg

Natural Shell
Allen Edmonds Natty Shell Strands - 2018-04-09 - 1.jpg

Garnet Shell
Allen Edmonds Garnet Shell Strands - 2018-05-04 - 1.jpg

-Mike

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you talk to Ashley/Kristen/Jay they all will tell you the condition of the shoes before you buy, and you can pretty well trust them to let you know of anything that might turn you away.

Alden is another animal, especially if you aren't a D width. I don't think they're doing natural unlined shell make ups these days, and you'll have to get on a list to have a chance to purchase in a couple years if they are... I'd argue that rare shell might be even harder to acquire new from Alden than AE was before the MTO shutdown. You're best bet on that front is to find a used pair. Be prepared to pay for them though...

I am a D width, 12D in AE. My AE shell loafers are all 11.5D. I would go for a traditional color (burgundy or cigar/whiskey) in the unlined LHS from Alden. Really just want a lined natural shell shoe :fistbump: Not too picky, right?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Strands in Walnut Shell, Natural Shell, and Garnet Shell... :) I formerly had a pair in Brown Shell, but sold them when I got an Alden Cigar Shell version.

Walnut Shell
View attachment 985424

Natural Shell
View attachment 985425

Garnet Shell
View attachment 985426

-Mike

Those are the ones!! The walnut shell matches my Dalton shells exactly. Bought from someone who had them on the original run. I'll have to get a photo up, but it may be some time. The natural shell is exactly what I am after. Wheeling and fudging. Those garnets are from Canada, right? It's really a shame, I would like some more exciting colors of shell because I basically own all the regular AE shell shoes in various combinations!

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a D width, 12D in AE. My AE shell loafers are all 11.5D. I would go for a traditional color (burgundy or cigar/whiskey) in the unlined LHS from Alden. Really just want a lined natural shell shoe :fistbump: Not too picky, right?

Garnet was offered to O'Connors in Canada but it was utilized during the last trunk show in the US as well just not advertised. I got a pair of cornwallis, leeds, and bradley done in the garnet. As it pertains to a natural loafer, you can always look at rancourt. Crockett & Jones does a very nice whisky shell loafer called the Harvard II. Order that directly from the UK though as the NYC store is more expensive even after exchange rate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads