1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

2. Bleach Connoisseur

Bleach Connoisseur Member

speaking of the black shell daltons I was talking to my local store manager and he decided to stonewall me after I explained that I wanted to do a gtmo poor customer service on his part. Emailed Allison - no response. Called her she said no black shell daltons. Anyways if its that hard to spend 700+ dollars at a company maybe its not meant to be. Meermin did open up a their first store very close to me and meermin boots do look juicy in person

3. Bleach Connoisseur

4. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Distinguished Member

Certainly a reasonable response, how you feel matters.

OTOH, there are very few SA's proportionally that have the expertise to manage a GMTO, maybe $9000 transaction. If you ask Ashley at Charleston store or Kristen at Paramus store, they seem to have the best current view of these projects and have both successfully handled some fantastic builds with great service before and after.

If by chance you mean an individual order of black shell Daltons, those would run maybe $835 if they would make them. I'd ask the current SAs that posters here mention with high regard if still interested.

Wearing SMU Daltons today, with Othello soles.

IMG_1500 2.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

5. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

You should be able to get an Alden black shell wingtip boot. I love their pattern for that boot.

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

Rancourt can almost certainly accommodate you.

7. Bleach Connoisseur

those are outstanding soles!!

Alden is certainly on my radar

Personally I only buy mocs and loafers from rancourt, in my humble opinion I find their boots to be a bit more clunky even more so than Alden. Other than that Rancourt is one of my fav companies in terms of customer service and flexibility.

IMG_2237.jpg

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

Never mind. Go for Alden instead. You’ll get a better boot for the money. I recommend Adam at Alden of Carmel or Yenni at Brick + Mortar.

Alden is awesome at black shell.

Or if you’re in NYC, go visit Carmina for a step up from Alden, even.

This is just crazy. All shell is MTO anyway. What’s the big deal of making it in another stock color? Short sighted, if you ask me.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018 at 8:19 AM

9. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

This. Exactly.

10. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Honestly, I think that any upgrade to shell shouldn't have an MTO fee since even the "stock" items are actually MTO.

11. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Active Member

I'll email Ashley, or call AE, about my one-off brown shell Long Branches. I would not ordinary do this until I was ready to buy, because I don't want to dangle the prospect of a commission in front of a salesperson unless I'm ready to close the deal. But if AE has already said no to someone else, I'd like to know if it's a matter of policy - no one-off leather changes for anyone - or whether they just don't want to make black Daltons for some reason.

Bagley, if I get the shell Long Branches, I promise not to post pics. This was your idea, you should get the credit, I'm just shamelessly copying your boots.

In the meantime here are my GMTO HM's, nothing new to see here because they are the same as those purchased by others. But wanted to post pics of such a beautiful boot.

IMG_0583.jpg IMG_0586.jpg