• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before conditioner I’d try a small amount of water and brushing (read: lick your thumb or finger of your choosing, run it over the scratch, and brush gently for a minute). That’s often sufficient without having to bring product into the mix. If you do need conditioner, just the smallest drop is enough for that scratch.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GMTO Shell Higgins Mill came in over the weekend. These were a pleasant surprise because I didn't receive a shipping notice and they were delivered on my doorstep. I went with the JR soles on these.
View attachment 909053 View attachment 909054
View attachment 909055 View attachment 909056

I'm really excited to wear these, but the weather hasn't cooperated. One boot has a light scratch on the vamp, what's the best way to treat it? Conditioner/polish and back of a spoon? View attachment 909057

Congrats, the JR soles also look great! I would do the moist finger first to that scratch, an unfortunate location, but shell will heal over a few trials.

Looks like you also have a shell tongue. Is it attached? Mine is not, has the little tab on the outside to be attached, not sure if that matters. I um don't want my tongue to go where it doesn't belong but on first wear, no sign of any issue.

Enjoy them, another variation winner. I would have been happy with any of the three variations in soles.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GMTO Shell Higgins Mill came in over the weekend. These were a pleasant surprise because I didn't receive a shipping notice and they were delivered on my doorstep. I went with the JR soles on these.
View attachment 909053 View attachment 909054
View attachment 909055 View attachment 909056

I'm really excited to wear these, but the weather hasn't cooperated. One boot has a light scratch on the vamp, what's the best way to treat it? Conditioner/polish and back of a spoon? View attachment 909057

First of all, congrats!!! Those look absolutely amazing! I have to say this would be what I ordered - very classic! (I own/like the lug sole, but the JR sole just looks terrific)

On the scratch, I'd actually start with nothing but brushing. The shell is new enough that I doubt you want to add much moisture. I scuffed my natty shell Cornwallis at the heel yesterday:
YbeGPLA.jpg

All I did was breathe on it and brush for 4 minutes:
WLYNRa2.jpg

Literally didn't touch it. The slightly-dark spot disappeared after about 10 minutes too. :)

(make sure you have a nice horsehair brush)

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats, the JR soles also look great! I would do the moist finger first to that scratch, an unfortunate location, but shell will heal over a few trials.

Looks like you also have a shell tongue. Is it attached? Mine is not, has the little tab on the outside to be attached, not sure if that matters. I um don't want my tongue to go where it doesn't belong but on first wear, no sign of any issue.

Enjoy them, another variation winner. I would have been happy with any of the three variations in soles.
Tab on the tongue? I have to check that on my boots when i get back this evening..

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tab on the tongue? I have to check that on my boots when i get back this evening..

Yes, the usual HMs with suede tongues are attached on one side. Both of mine have a tab that could be sewn but are not attached. Awful pic attached but the small tab is on inward side of both boots' tongues about 2 inches from top.

Maybe the soft / suede tongue needs that tab to keep tongue somewhat in place or from slipping down during a day or wear, but the shell tongue feels more substantial and I cannot see it moving around.

I am not sure if this was an oversight or a decision. Wore mine around the house last night and saw no slippage in 30 minutes. Just curious.

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 8.52.03 AM.png

Reaction score

First of all, congrats!!! Those look absolutely amazing! I have to say this would be what I ordered - very classic! (I own/like the lug sole, but the JR sole just looks terrific)

On the scratch, I'd actually start with nothing but brushing. The shell is new enough that I doubt you want to add much moisture. I scuffed my natty shell Cornwallis at the heel yesterday:
YbeGPLA.jpg

All I did was breathe on it and brush for 4 minutes:
WLYNRa2.jpg

Literally didn't touch it. The slightly-dark spot disappeared after about 10 minutes too. :)

(make sure you have a nice horsehair brush)

Agreed with @M635Guy - brushing for a few minutes is all that will be required. No licking of horse butt required!

Thanks guys, I'll try brushing and moisture/wet finger before conditioner or polish.

My pair also has a shell tongue and isn't connected or sewn to the upper like the other HMs. Well see how this tongue plays out because on my other HMs they were all flopping all to the sides.
IMG_20180116_0821338.jpg

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is there any interest in a boot similiar to what user bkotsko made on page 3? Im looking for an all black shell.

Well, I think there definitely would be interest, but I doubt you'd be able to get it made right now. AE doesn't have the mini lug sole right now, and I doubt they'll do unlined shell on that boot under the current MTO climate. Right now, I think you could accomplish getting a black shell Dalton, then take it to a third party to have a lug sole installed. HOPEFULLY, AE will open back up their MTO service a bit more for something like this to go through as a GMTO. I could be totally wrong, but that was the feedback i was getting during 2017 when I was inquiring about specials.

So they will hesitate to make the unlined shell, because it has a tendency to tear. I had to get mine made 2x in order to get a clean pair.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll try brushing and moisture/wet finger before conditioner or polish.

My pair also has a shell tongue and isn't connected or sewn to the upper like the other HMs. Well see how this tongue plays out because on my other HMs they were all flopping all to the sides. View attachment 909206
I'm betting because the shell is more stiff than the suede you won't have the same issues.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm betting because the shell is more stiff than the suede you won't have the same issues.
Not necessarily. The tongue on the right boot of my JCrew PCT boots slipped really bad. However the tongues on those were unlined.

Bleach Connoisseur

Reaction score
Hello everyone so good news and bad news! Allen Edmond said they wouldnt do unlined shell dalton reason being it teared in the past :rolleyes2: but they would do a mini lug sole! :slayer:
So this is the proposed build currently.
*BLACK CORDOVAN
*TONE ON TONE UPPER STITCHING
*BLACK FLAT WELT
*BLACK SOLE AND EDGE DRESSING
*MINI LUG TAP OUTSOLE

What does everyone think?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello everyone so good news and bad news! Allen Edmond said they wouldnt do unlined shell dalton reason being it teared in the past :rolleyes2: but they would do a mini lug sole! :slayer:
So this is the proposed build currently.
*BLACK CORDOVAN
*TONE ON TONE UPPER STITCHING
*BLACK FLAT WELT
*BLACK SOLE AND EDGE DRESSING
*MINI LUG TAP OUTSOLE

What does everyone think?
Would it be the new translucent lug sole? (Stirling and several of the HM GMTO)

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it be the new translucent lug sole? (Stirling and several of the HM GMTO)

Wow, similar to my desired black shell Stirling, interesting! When my natty Stirlings arrive, I want to evaluate fitment, I would consider these particularly if Stirling fitment is not what I hope. A bit partial to the more casual lighter welt though.

Added: Not sure if they mean the clear lug, but black welt + clear lug, not sure of that either.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads