• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, thats a tough situation all around. A couple miscues added together creates a huge mess. However, if they made the wrong size it wouldn't have mattered if they sold them. Why they did that I can only imagine. I'm glad the compensation is ok with you. I had issues last year where they damaged a recraft and made it good with me.

However, I've been told there's no more trunk show shell. But that they do have a small order to make shoes that didn't even get a first run. Oversold most likely, or the remake % was to high and they couldn't get to them.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn, thats a tough situation all around. A couple miscues added together creates a huge mess. However, if they made the wrong size it wouldn't have mattered if they sold them. Why they did that I can only imagine. I'm glad the compensation is ok with you. I had issues last year where they damaged a recraft and made it good with me.

However, I've been told there's no more trunk show shell. But that they do have a small order to make shoes that didn't even get a first run. Oversold most likely, or the remake % was to high and they couldn't get to them.
I'm hoping against hope that they can remake the MacNeils. Otherwise I'll be selling first quality natty MacNeil in 8E soon.

It's just ridiculous what a big mess the shell trunk show has become with all the missed specs. I'm starting to sound like a broken record but a simple solution of having specs in an invoice, which by the way is already being done by our dear Allison, could have prevented most if not all of the incorrectly spec'd orders.

jubu

Reaction score
@watchidiot hoping your crazy situation gets resolved....patience is truly a virtue and you seem to have it!

Took my Brown Grain GMTOs out for a test run today--I noticed that one of the speedhooks is loose and doesn't appear to be fastened 100% perfect---good thing it's one of the top 2 which I don't use, but I've ask Allison to confirm that I can send these in for warranty if they do get worse...Thanks again for all the sizing advice--the 8D fits PERFECT (I am normally an 8C in the 5-last, which I used as a reference point for the knowledgeable SF members here).

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to update the thread regarding my previous post about my shell trunk show orders as leaving it hanging may appear that I never got a response back which is unfair to the crew over at the magnificent mile.

I finally heard back from @ryansto and he informed me that that the SA who took my order is on vacation and that he himself was traveling for work as well thus it took some time for them to get back to me.

He also confirmed that he unknowingly sold my navy shell Dundee to @jso1 . Circumstances on how it happened is quite understandable, nonetheless he made the effort to compensate me for the trouble this has caused. I'm pretty happy with the compensation and anyway as I've shared previously I don't mind the wait as long as communication lines are open and that the shoes are in good quality and according to spec.

Now this is where the plot thickens. I actually spoke to jso1 and his Dundees are in 8E while my order was for 9D. So I called up the store and though Ryan wasn't in, the SA who picked up my call informed me that my order was recorded as 8E. Now nervous, I asked her to check the size of my natty MacNeil order and she confirmed 8E as well. I placed an order for 8.5D. Que Horror!

So I looked at the specs I submitted and indeed I had submitted 8.5D and 9D for the MacNeil and Dundee respectively. In fact it was the advise of the SA who took my order to size up to 9D. I double checked the receipt and it says black 8E which at the time I received it was strange. I actually sent another email immediately after receiving the receipt asking why the description is different. I was told this was the standard code and so I replied that in the absence of an invoice with specs ala Allison, I again sent a spec list with size which I said will be the reference for my order. Got the confirmation that my specs were recorded correctly and everything was good to go.

In hindsight, I guess my mistake was not pushing for another receipt but I was already assured that my specs were recorded correctly.

I have forwarded all these emails to Ryan to ask how it is possible that my size were recorded incorrectly. Hoping to hear from them soon.

I'm fine with waiting, I'm even fine with spec differences (at a discount) but I wouldn't be fine with the wrong size. They might tell me that they only referred to what's in the receipt but in my mind since I sent a reference spec list after receiving the receipt and they confirmed that my order is as per my spec list then I am holding them to that.

I do hope this is resolved. And that there is still natty sell left. And the saga continues...

I hope AE gets this resolved for you quickly. Sorry to hear of the miscommunications and wrong size notations. I agree with you 100% on the lack of invoices with these trunk show orders being a huge cause of the many problems that people have had with missed specs... I have had many positive experiences with the Michigan Ave store crew and am glad they are doing what they can to make it right.

I normally wear 8.5D, but my 8E Dundees fit great. My Long Branches are 8.5D and also fit great. Strange. I'm quite glad that I didn't inadvertently buy your pair from under you, since the sizing is wrong for you anyway.

On the bright side, when your Dundees finally come you will love them - they're an awesome makeup and I owe it to you, obviously.

rogejo321

Reaction score
So my trunk show order finally arrived. I ordered a pretty plain makeup, no exotic color. Ended up getting a pair of fifth street boots in black cordovan with independence lining and a v-tread sole. First, the good pictures:

The issue that I have is that both captoes have at least some pretty rough spots. One side especially is very rough toward the welt. Is this something you all would push back?

gatszu

Reaction score
Those are beautiful. I am kicking myself for not getting a pair fifth street during the show. I wouldn't complain too much about the cap toe especially when they're toward the welt. I don't get why AE doesn't get a nice piece of leather for the cap. Many of my shoes exhibit similar issue.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just looks dry to me. All new AE shell just looks dry when received these days. Not sure what they've changed about the finishing and why...

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@rogejo321 they look stellar and I have some shell like that also...My whole shaft panel on my Bayfield was like that but it is ok now....used lexol conditioner then some Bick4 and they are fine now.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bick 4 works wonders on dry shell spots.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bick 4 works wonders on dry shell spots.

@rogejo321 they look stellar and I have some shell like that also...My whole shaft panel on my Bayfield was like that but it is ok now....used lexol conditioner then some Bick4 and they are fine now.

Do yall apply the Lexol or bick4 to the entire shoe or just the dry area?

NewYawker

Reaction score

So this is the wrinkling that was being discussed. Very minor issue. Absolutely love thee boots. AE comes through again. Happy customer indeed.

Brown Dynamite

Reaction score

So this is the wrinkling that was being discussed. Very minor issue. Absolutely love thee boots. AE comes through again. Happy customer indeed.
I recieved word that my Chili grain boots were declared as seconds due to a similar issue. If mine are like yours...I'll probably feel like I got away with murder lol.

NewYawker

Reaction score

I recieved word that my Chili grain boots were declared as seconds due to a similar issue. If mine are like yours...I'll probably feel like I got away with murder lol.

Yup - I feel the same way. Considering these were purchased during a sale, then seconds pricing, plus $50 Amex credit, there is not a better deal out there. Very happy with how they came out.

jubu

Reaction score

Yup - I feel the same way. Considering these were purchased during a sale, then seconds pricing, plus $50 Amex credit, there is not a better deal out there. Very happy with how they came out.

Here I am thinking that the deal was already awesome and you remind me of the $50 AMEX credit to boot (no pun intended)! Insane net price after you factor that in.......no way in hell you could ever dream of getting boots like this for that price....EVER!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads