• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BCer

Reaction score
As you can see, they are stunning! The burnishing came out great, which is somewhat tricky for bourbon shoes. 

BUT as we have seen with recent MTOs, there were some mistakes that I have brought to Allison's attention… maybe she grades the shoe manufacturers on following instructions.:facepalm:

The edges are supposed to be toasted, not brown. This is one issue that saddens me as I was really looking forward to the uniqueness of toasted edges.
And the other is the sock liner color, supposed to be snuff suede not tan suede. No biggie here, no one will ever see that.

Well I hope you enjoy the pic!!!!
[/quote]

Wow, those are incredibly stunning! Love everything about them. Obviously your lining and sock liner colours make them unique, but won't be seen by anyone. But what is 'out there to be seen' is dead-on. Great job, Maybe we'll see that makeup as standard offers soon?

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Well, here they are!!

As you can see, they are stunning! The burnishing came out great, which is somewhat tricky for bourbon shoes.

BUT as we have seen with recent MTOs, there were some mistakes that I have brought to Allison's attention… maybe she grades the shoe manufacturers on following instructions.
facepalm.gif

The edges are supposed to be toasted, not brown. This is one issue that saddens me as I was really looking forward to the uniqueness of toasted edges.
And the other is the sock liner color, supposed to be snuff suede not tan suede. No biggie here, no one will ever see that.

Well done, Superb makeup!

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, here they are!!

BUT as we have seen with recent MTOs, there were some mistakes that I have brought to Allison's attention… maybe she grades the shoe manufacturers on following instructions.
facepalm.gif

Thanks for the great pics - looks like they fit your feet well. Love the way they came out, and while you may be disappointed with the edges, they still look great to me. I do find the blue lining rather jarring and not complementary to the rest of the boot, but it might have also been exacerbated by the flash picture.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Thanks for the great pics - looks like they fit your feet well. Love the way they came out, and while you may be disappointed with the edges, they still look great to me. I do find the blue lining rather jarring and not complementary to the rest of the boot, but it might have also been exacerbated by the flash picture.

It is pretty jarring, but I think that makes it kind of fun. Especially since its a high boot and thus there is like a 0.1% chance anyone would actually see it unless you tried to show it to them.

-Mike

green garden

Reaction score
Wow, the Chili Grain looks amazing. Baffled that all this beautiful leather isn't getting used for a factory design like this!!! Gah! At least they let us do this!

-Mike
To tell you the truth, the verdict on this particular grain leather is still out for me. Aesthetically it looks great. I like the depth and warmth of the color. It's definitely a winner in this area. However, the leather seems thinner than AE's other dress leather. It also is not as supple. This is my first scotch grain type of shoes so I'm not sure if the texture I feel is characteristic of the leather. I'm worried from a longevity standpoint. I haven't worn it outside the house yet. But before I do, I'll condition. We'll see how it wears.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

To tell you the truth, the verdict on this particular grain leather is still out for me.  Aesthetically it looks great.  I like the depth and warmth of the color.  It's definitely a winner in this area.  However, the leather seems thinner than AE's other dress leather.  It also is not as supple.  This is my first scotch grain type of shoes so I'm not sure if the texture I feel is characteristic of the leather.  I'm worried from a longevity standpoint.  I haven't worn it outside the house yet.  But before I do, I'll condition.  We'll see how it wears.  

Gotcha. I understand that. I could not tell that it was that thin! I have no grain in calf skin. I have heard that grain tends to wear more like shell cordovan than calf skin. I have a pair of grain shell cordovan and that is all.

Would definitely be interested in updates as you get some milage on those shoes.

-M

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Gotcha. I understand that. I could not tell that it was that thin! I have no grain in calf skin. I have heard that grain tends to wear more like shell cordovan than calf skin. I have a pair of grain shell cordovan and that is all.

Would definitely be interested in updates as you get some milage on those shoes.

-M

Oh...that's all...ONLY some grained shell corvovan? No biggie, right?? haha

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

White Harrier sole
My MTO Brown Shell Strands come in on Friday. Excited, but now nervous, about things that may not align with the specifications. I would not be happy if they had White Harrier Soles! :) P.S. The harriers look good on your MTO, just wouldn't on a shell strand! ;-)

Last edited:

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

Thanks for the great pics - looks like they fit your feet well.  Love the way they came out, and while you may be disappointed with the edges, they still look great to me.  I do find the blue lining rather jarring and not complementary to the rest of the boot, but it might have also been exacerbated by the flash picture. 
The flash really brightens the blue, it is much darker and hardly noticeable even when looking straight down into the boot.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of a burgundy shell cap toe double monkstrap ? I saw a Carmina makeup that was stunning. Storm wetl. Not sure what color I'd make edge dressing or what I'd do with soles.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone posted photos of the mora 2.0 in burgundy shell....it was stunning.

Subutai

Reaction score

My MTO Brown Shell Strands come in on Friday. Excited, but now nervous, about things that may not align with the specifications. I would not be happy if they had White Harrier Soles! :)

P.S. The harriers look good on your MTO, just wouldn't on a shell strand! ;-)

Haha, thanks Mike; oh man, I very sincerely hope your shell Strands don't end up with white Harrier soles! I'm very happy with my MTO, but I think the sole looks best on CXL. If I ordered them now I'd probably use natty cxl for the upper

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads