• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NewYawker

Reaction score
Same here, all i got was a generic receipt. The SA said that they have to put your order specs in a separate program that doesn't generate an email to the customer.
Thanks for the response. SA told me the same. Its concerning because a detail could easily be overlooked/input incorrectly. At $700 per shoe I would hate to receive an incorrect order.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Ask her about the mini lug tap sole, which leaves a bit of leather sole showing. Then there is the Toby mini lug which covers the whole sole but not as high as the vibram lug sole.

rostov

Reaction score
I'm not too interested because it's a bal, but I just realized that the $199 Jingle Bell Mok would be an inexpensive base for someone looking to do an MTO of a short-wing bal. Not sure if they'll let you do an MTO of a webgem...

EDIT: Other thoughts:
- The McTavish is also for sale for $199, so you can just MTO that instead...
- The Jingle Bell is unstructured so you might be able to save money versus an MTO of a Neumok.
- They're using a "bottle green" chromexcel or dublin leather on this shoe. That might be available for other calf makeups? Chromexcel isn't shell, but some polish can go a long way. I wish I could see it in person, but I wonder if this could be a poor-man's bottle-green shell? I suspect it's a Dublin leather since it *looks* like Cognac dublin for the red.

Last edited:

suitntieguy

Reaction score

Just got a paid invoice for the burgundy strands! It's happening! (Ironic still news on the brown shell Bayfields which were ordered a couple weeks sooner.)

argh, I didnt get one yet. It would have been nice. I am so close to the AE factory that shipments reach me next day. It would have been nice to have them here by Monday for a big meeting I have. Oh well.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I still like them an awful lot. They're my go-to boot for just about anything that needs more than I want to throw at my Dalton's leather soles. You'll be happy with English tan Dublin; it just keeps getting better with age.

Good looking bayfields. Is the "buff" color of the welt lighter or darker than the "natural"? I'd love to find out what the lighter colors are.

Agree with other comments. That is a really nice combination. I like the soft lugged Gumlite, and recently did my first dublin leather (chestnut/Odenwald) liking the dark/light variation.

The price is awesome, under $375 for a boot specified "your way".

I would skip wheeling based on those specs. It is interesting, dressy, not the perfect fit for the rougher look of the Dublin leather, imo.

Noted, I was thinking that the knobby look up top and from the lugs would be just too much knobbiness. The whole issue I have with the LB and Dalton's is that I want something in between and more daily driver practical.

Thanks everyone!

The toby mini lug is what we did on our Bayfield GMTO and I think if you go mini lug then you need to also add a midsole...errr never mind I see you had that...sounds great and drop the wheeling...while I love the wheeling can you imagine drying to clean dirt and muck out of it which the Long Branch tends to get worn for more poor weather adventures

Last edited:

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those blue suede Graysons are nasty in the nicest way, watch; I'm not the biggest fan of loafers, but those will probably convert a couple folks like myself... Beautiful makeup - I'm with Kahuna - a little GREEN looking at your shoes, Sir! Why did it take so long to get?
Thanks indyoshi! I'm a big loafer fan since it's practically summer the whole year where I'm from. Also fits my usual get up of chinos/denim/trousers.

On why I only received it recently, back in 2013 AE refused to ship MTOs directly to my address in Asia. The only way around that was for me to ship it to my in laws who would then ship it to me, or to ship it to a forwarding company who would ship it to me. In this case I chose a shipping company who specializes in consolidating orders and ships them via sea freight to Manila. I had about 8 pairs of shoes consolidated into a a single shipment and it was sea freighted to Manila where I'm originally from. Problem is I now live in Brunei. I'm now back in Manila for a 3 week vacation and finally had time to get the shipment delivered to me. My wife was not very happy when I opened the boxes haha.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying I LOVE Allen Edmonds. It hits the right spot for me on the value for dollar scale. Plus the customer service is great, and the CEO is an SF member who actually reads and listens to random strangers like us.

However, from time to time i get a shoe in such a bad shape I don't know what they actually do during inspection. This is one of those times.

I just received my merlot EC MTO (an earlier one before the GMTO) and I can't believe this passed through QC. This is probably the worst defect I've ever had and the most obvious too.

Here's the condition of the welt. Looks like it melted.
72ea2ee0d67f2b9c135bd82c9da9f911.jpg

But I wasn't talking about that. This is what befuddles me. If the heels were attached by a person, how could that person not see what happened here? Also how could QA/QC miss this?
c7a796e478816cb59a79b4e993cc9f0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying I LOVE Allen Edmonds. It hits the right spot for me on the value for dollar scale. Plus the customer service is great, and the CEO is an SF member who actually reads and listens to random strangers like us.

However, from time to time i get a shoe in such a bad shape I don't know what they actually do during inspection. This is one of those times.

I just received my merlot EC MTO (an earlier one before the GMTO) and I can't believe this passed through QC. This is probably the worst defect I've ever had and the most obvious too.

Here's the condition of the welt. Looks like it melted.
72ea2ee0d67f2b9c135bd82c9da9f911.jpg

But I wasn't talking about that. This is what befuddles me. If the heels were attached by a person, how could that person not see what happened here? Also how could QA/QC miss this?

Sounds like your nitpicking...that nail is clearly there to help prevent pre-mature heel wear...

I thought welts were made of leather?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... Its concerning because a detail could easily be overlooked/input incorrectly. At $700 per shoe I would hate to receive an incorrect order.

Well, it's actually only $350 per shoe.
biggrin.gif

In other news, happy for you shell Strand folks. Seven weeks in today for the merlot EC's and still nothing.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think in the Independence Collection, the nail is brass and arrayed in a nifty pattern. But there's an upcharge for that.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
CdM, keep the faith: just got debited for mine today, I'm sure all will be done by the end of the month.

NewYawker

Reaction score
Well, it's actually only $350 per shoe.
biggrin.gif

In other news, happy for you shell Strand folks. Seven weeks in today for the merlot EC's and still nothing.
IF anyone purchased their shoes from the cordovan trunk show for $350 please let me know who your sales associate is asap...lol... I believe I would have alot more shoes arriving at my doorstep come the holidays. I do regret not jumping on any of the EC mto's - they all look fantastic.

jch1

Reaction score
In case someone wanted to see olive "graysons" again...

I sure do wish I got a pair in navy as well, WI.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics