The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. mry8s

mry8s Senior member

This noob is about to move forward on an MTO for a Long Branch that's hopefully going to fill in as the boot I've been looking for for the last two years.

I'm glad I found you guys and this thread.

Here's what I'm thinking of creating (and your feedback would be welcome, of course!):

Long Branch boot
    Tan wax infused (aka Tan Dublin) leather
    buff split reverse welt (wheeled or not, I haven't decided)
    leather midsole
    vibram mini lug sole
    "natural" color stitching all around.

and either a blue leather lining or a pale natural, depending on my whim when I order.

I already spoke with Allison to confirm the sale price + $110 SMU fee which means I get my ideal boot at a great price.

For reference, the leather is the same that is used on the lighter McTavish and Eagle County. I'm looking for that orangey hue with lots of dark/light variation that will become more pronounced with age.

The overall look will be light like the EC boots but with the wings and broguing of the Long Branch.

Thoughts?

2. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

Also got invoice! I was hoping for delivery before holiday season so I can take them to vacation!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Sounds great! One thing, though AE no longer uses the vibram lug soles on Long Branches. They now use some kind of "lugged" vibram gumlight, with is more squishy...

4. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Sounds like a wingtip version of the Bayfield I ordered this time last year...

I still like them an awful lot. They're my go-to boot for just about anything that needs more than I want to throw at my Dalton's leather soles. You'll be happy with English tan Dublin; it just keeps getting better with age.

5. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Agree with other comments. That is a really nice combination. I like the soft lugged Gumlite, and recently did my first dublin leather (chestnut/Odenwald) liking the dark/light variation.

The price is awesome, under $375 for a boot specified "your way".

I would skip wheeling based on those specs. It is interesting, dressy, not the perfect fit for the rougher look of the Dublin leather, imo.

6. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Type 1 since '88 - one sister was diagnosed at 3... Already lost another sister to complications from it. That's my motivation to stay well :( This shoe aversion has me pushing the envelope on purchases that are acceptable for my dogs, though... Trying to squeeze into 8 different lasts can be an issue! Need an AE crosstrainer to work out in! Insulin pump was a game-changer for me!!! Good luck with your management, @fairlynerdy.

7. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

I was beginning to wonder if i was the only EC guy with this going on; it started to happen to my calf Daltons some time back...then just sort of "corrected" itself. Nothing like it happening on the shell version, though - or my LB's. Will drop by a store on lunch for a metal file.

8. mry8s

mry8s Senior member

I want a mini-lug to keep it from looking too "hiking boot" so I'll see what they have to offer.

Good looking bayfields. Is the "buff" color of the welt lighter or darker than the "natural"? I'd love to find out what the lighter colors are.

Noted, I was thinking that the knobby look up top and from the lugs would be just too much knobbiness. The whole issue I have with the LB and Dalton's is that I want something in between and more daily driver practical.

Thanks everyone!

9. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Those blue suede Graysons are nasty in the nicest way, watch; I'm not the biggest fan of loafers, but those will probably convert a couple folks like myself... Beautiful makeup - I'm with Kahuna - a little GREEN looking at your shoes, Sir! Why did it take so long to get?

10. tdes81

tdes81 Senior member

Just got a paid invoice for the burgundy strands! It's happening! (Ironic still news on the brown shell Bayfields which were ordered a couple weeks sooner.)

11. random-adam

Sorry, I really couldn't say -- there are no natural-welted shoes in my stable. I just chose buff because I knew it'd go nicely against the tan.

12. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Question for you gents that placed an order for the cordovan trunk show over the phone - have any of you been able to obtain a copy of the invoice/order? I want to confirm the specs just for peace of mind. I only received a receipt that lacked details. Thanks in advance.

13. mry8s

mry8s Senior member

Here's a question you might be able to answer then:
    When I spoke to Allison about the tan Dublin, she mentioned that the stiffer cowhides are harder to stretch over the last and may result in a slightly roomier boot. I'm midway between 10.5 D and E ... more like a 10.75 D.5. I was planning to go forward with a 10.5 E and just let it be roomy but I was wondering if you had some real world fit experience. Did yours fit larger than the standard calf?

14. random-adam

Sorry -- 0 for 2. My only other 1-last shoes (a Wilbert, two pairs of Leeds) are "outland leather" and shell cordovan, so I can't speak to the fit of calf relative to Dublin.

I'd suggest, though, that you're going the right direction. You'll want to wear slightly thicker socks with boots anyway; the extra few millimeters will come in handy.

15. Wood

Wood Active Member

Same here, all i got was a generic receipt. The SA said that they have to put your order specs in a separate program that doesn't generate an email to the customer.