The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. LaffinPoet

LaffinPoet Active Member

You're right! It was a First Ave. Very sweet looking boot. Out of all the colors, the Natural was my favorite by far. I would've liked to ordered a pair but the shoe budget said no mas, as did the wifey.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  2. Wood

Wood Active Member

I'm happy to hear that someone else thinks the Deep Brown looks good! I feel like it has been the least talked about color of the four. I ordered a Strand in Deep Brown with Independence additions because it seems so versatile.

3. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Wearing Navy EC today
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Gotten several compliments today, but the eyelets are DESTROYING the tongue leather on both boots:
    [​IMG]
    Polish is more blue than AE finish, so bluish spots will result after some damage control. Are others having this issue with any of their EC's in Merlot or Grain? Do i bang in the eyelets with something to reduce/stop this from happening? It's actually DIGGING into the leather; looks shredded in one spot. Also, the crease hitting below the cap on that right boot is now digging into my toes...very bad for a guy with a bum pancreas. :(

4. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I have a pair of shell boots where the back of the eyelet was shredding the tongue. I just filed the back of the eyelet a bit.

5. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Exactly what I did on my old Bayfields, just got a metal file and went to town until it was smooth.

6. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

I think we spoke briefly, I am 6'4" wearing green Filson shirt and jeans. And I did not see a stroller, so Peppercorn must have walked in shortly after I walked out.

That "walnut" EC was actually a natural shell first street. When they said walnut, I held it against the natural Dundee and asked if they were sure. So, I know it was you, because that topic was clarified while I was there. :)

I loved that boot, but was still reluctant about the new last. Paul described it as being a bit wider and having more toe area room than the 2 last, which is great...

So I ordered natty First Streets and bottle green Leeds.

If there was room to get around and or chat, they could have rolled me for 3+ pairs. :) It was worth the visit and I felt good ordering only 1 boot and 1 shoe as I planned on the way in.
    (Was going to do a natty austerity Dalton)

7. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Wearing my brown grain ECs for the first time today. Thanks to @watchidiot for setting this up and to those who recommended adding a bit of width due to the narrowness of the 2 last--the 8E fits perfectly.

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Haha!!! I think we were actually there at the same time, as I overheard an SA trying to convince another one that yes, the customer DID in fact want a vibram gumlight on his First Streets. That was you, right??? :)

I didn't even notice the difference between the new brown and the old one until the SA held up the two different strands side by side for me. I do think the new brown is nicer by a small degree. I liked it a lot, but I was only in the market for one pair, so natty won out by a hair over green. I actually loved the green the best, but it would have been a very impractical expensive purchase.

Yup, that was me. I was literally in and out. First of all because it was super crowded and loud in there (and my son was asleep), and secondly because I had to get back to Brooklyn to pick up my daughter from school. Also, Tuesday's and Thursdays are when I'm home with the kids, so I wasn't wearing appropriate iGent apparel, and didn't want to be spotted. ;)

I do wish I had been able to get a photo with Paul.

Also, no clue why they chose this store to host. It's soooo small, and the Bryant Park store right around the corner is so much bigger, as is the Rock Center...

But anyway, yeah thanks so much Paul (if you're reading this) for doing this!!! It was fun.

9. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I though the Deep Brown was noticeably different. Deep brown has reddish/burgundy undertones, unique compared to any other shell color I've seen,

When I talked to the SA a few weeks ago, she said they were having it here because it's the oldest store in NYC and they are very productive in terms of $/sq. ft. The location is also in NYC menswear central which is nice.

Lastly, I agree! I was going to tell Paul that we appreciate his interactions, but it was truly a madhouse in there.

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure that the store just opened two years ago. :(

11. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Yes, that was me. sorry I did not see you. :)

Agree about the green, it is odd and beautiful; I liked it most. But the natural first street boot was love at first sight.

Hopefully, this was a test drive for similar future events.

12. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I'm hoping to be at the Phila. even by 6pm. If you see a short guy wearing this combo come over and introduce yourself!

[​IMG]

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

way to bring a gun to a knife fight...

14. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

LMAO!

15. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Haha, If I wouldn't take 2 years I'd get those instead. I'll be at Atlanta's this evening for a bit before heading to guys BBQ night.