The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Good news: EC Brown Grains are on their way!
    Bad news: They are "direct signature required," so not only will I almost certainly not get them tomorrow, but I'll also have to drive way out of my way to pick them up. When did AE start making their shipments direct signature required? Previous MTOs did not, I believe, have this requirement.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I believe that's always been the default shipping method. However, I've never actually signed for a package from AE...

3. heldentenor

Are you sure? "Signature required" means that I can either sign their door tag and have the boots dropped off next day or, in many cases, just leave a note asking the delivery driver to leave the package. "Direct signature" means that if they don't see me sign for it in person, I have to go pick it up at a "nearby" (ha!) FedEx location. I've only done this twice, but I'm pretty sure this is a change.

Anyhow, lesson learned; next time I'll ask Allison to ship to the closest AE store, which is much nearer to me (and has better hours) than the FedEx location.

4. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Glad to get an email from Allison today letting me know I have been invoiced for my GMTO Merlot EC. I got the initial order verification 7 weeks ago. A little longer than I was hoping for, but I am super stoked to get these. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow.

5. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

Yup. If you look at pics of the brown Jomoc, you can see it as well.

I ended up passing. When I got to the store around noon, the sample shoes weren't there yet. While they had small shell swatches, I didn't want to pull the trigger on a $650 shoe without seeing how the leather made up on a full shoe.

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Just logon to FedEx and select delivery options and you may be able to schedule time for drop off. All my ae packages have been Sig required, however unless it is wine then 9 out of 10 times FedEx ground will leave it. Fed ex express service generally sticks to Sig required rules.

Call 1800gofedex and ask how to put a signature release on file.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

7. heldentenor

Thanks, Kahuna--can't do anything through Fedex.com with delivery options, but I'll try giving them a call.

Edit: No dice.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

8. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Fed ex ground? That stinks, I think all the options I mentioned are for regular Fed ex...sorry about that.

9. heldentenor

Thanks, but it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. I was able to get them to hold it at the "nearby" location, and while that's not especially convenient, hopefully it means that I'll be able to pick them up after work tomorrow.

10. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I didn't order them yet. I'll get around to it, maybe during black friday sales.

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Ha. I did one in Navy Shell. I really wish that I could have tried them on before. They shipped me a Grayson so that I could try it on. I find boots a little bit more size tolerant than shoes and much more size tolerant than loafers.

-Mike

12. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

You know I wrote that to keep convincing myself I don't need a first ave....boots for sure are more forgiving.

13. tanbar

tanbar Senior member

Thinking about a Patriot in Natural shell, can't decide on the welt/edge dressing colors though. Chili/Light Brown or Natural/Natural?

Also, not that it would make that big of a difference, but any idea whether they would do the V-tread on a JR sole?

14. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I would do Chili Welt and Medium Brown Transparent Edges myself. I expect the Natural Shell will darken quicker than typical shoes like Whiskey or Walnut. Just as a tipper, you could play around with the Rancourt MTO tool to see what you think of Natty on Natty verses Natty on Antique.

Just as a reference, these are 5 year old Whiskeys. They started a lot lighter.
    [​IMG]

I personally appreciate the higher quality of the oak bark tannage of the JR soles. You may also consider adding a toppy to the JR soles to get the best of both worlds. That is exactly what I did to the above shoes.

-Mike

15. csmitty

csmitty Senior member