• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

True Tifosi, but the Custom Shoe program has limited styles and, I believe, limited options. I think the SF community are the only people adding the diverse set of options we've seen in recent months. 

It takes a while for any company to update/change processes...

Agreed.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how "out there" my MTO was. I got two out of five, one of which is being corrected. I got the black Danite sole and the brass eyelets, but I didn't get the Poiron insole or the brown welt and stitching. I might now have the only tan shoes with black welts and stitching. I hope that none of my Irish friends notice my black and tan shoes. I didn't get flat shoelaces, but they are being sent to me.

mdavis534

Reaction score
Finally my eagle county order from mid december shipped! looking forward to receiving them.

wonsmithr8

Reaction score
Sorry for the cross posting but I figured I should also ask here:

On another note, now that I know I'm actually a size 6.5EEE and not a 6.5E on the 5 last and that the size is available through the MTO program, I'd like to nail down four other dress shoes besides dark brown burnished strands (which I could still actually return if a better option arises) to wear with blue/grey suits. The first three are definitely in:

1) Walnut Strands
2) Walnut Jefferson
3) Bourbon Strand without medallion
4) Walnut PA to replace the size 6.5E that I own and have to sell?

Is the bourbon and dark brown burnished too similar? Also, I'm not a fan of the McAllister but do like the Jefferson and I'm iffy on the Fifth Ave. Thoughts? Thanks!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Sorry for the cross posting but I figured I should also ask here:

On another note, now that I know I'm actually a size 6.5EEE and not a 6.5E on the 5 last and that the size is available through the MTO program, I'd like to nail down four other dress shoes besides dark brown burnished strands (which I could still actually return if a better option arises) to wear with blue/grey suits. The first three are definitely in:

1) Walnut Strands
2) Walnut Jefferson
3) Bourbon Strand without medallion
4) Walnut PA to replace the size 6.5E that I own and have to sell?

Is the bourbon and dark brown burnished too similar? Also, I'm not a fan of the McAllister but do like the Jefferson and I'm iffy on the Fifth Ave. Thoughts? Thanks!

Won, that's a lot of light shoes! I personally love lighter shoes, but you may want to consider a burgundy/merlot in the mix. Since you are already getting a strand, that second one sans the toe medallion may be a good candidate. May also try and Indepence-ize them, with the nicer lining, soles, and wheeling! Otherwise, all solid and classic AE shoes. Totally with you on the Jeffersons. Awesome shoes!

-Mike

wonsmithr8

Reaction score

Won, that's a lot of light shoes! I personally love lighter shoes, but you may want to consider a burgundy/merlot in the mix. Since you are already getting a strand, that second one sans the toe medallion may be a good candidate. May also try and Indepence-ize them, with the nicer lining, soles, and wheeling! Otherwise, all solid and classic AE shoes. Totally with you on the Jeffersons. Awesome shoes!

-Mike

Haha I do love the lighter shoes Mike and I initially thought you said "wow." But that's how it usually is for me when people don't think Smith is my first name hah.

I just replied back to peppercorn in the AE thread with the following:

Hmm I just had a thought. I do really like the strands so maybe I could do this:

Return the dark brown burnished strands and get the strand in walnut, merlot, and bourbon (bourbon without medallion-I like the brown burnished pair that LeviMay posted in the MTO but prefer bourbon) and walnut Jefferson. I could make due with four since I'd only wear suits 4 days a week and I could just keep the walnut PAs as backup since I wouldn't get much in return and it's still wearable.

Also, I thought I read earlier in the thread that wheelings only allowed on the independence line even though you were able to get them on your latest MTO strands.

Smith

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Invoice received... Incoming MTO... Here is to hoping for the best.
cheers.gif

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if any 8.5 D's want a great deal on those Leeds I posted pics of the other day shoot me a PM...

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if any 8.5 D's want a great deal on those Leeds I posted pics of the other day shoot me a PM...

Had I not already snagged a pair of Alden CXL PTB I would be all over them, are you planning a different MTO since they didn't quite come out the way you wanted?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, warm weather is on the horizon and naturally my thoughts turn to summer shoes. This morning I was taking a long hard stare at these two pairs:

The latter I own, but the former I just purchased from BB. Although I do like the former, it dawned on me that I might be able to do better by Allison. So, I'm considering a spectator MTO in navy suede and off-white linen. If I want to go the LWB route, I would start with the MacNeil; if shortwing bal, the Neumok. Either way, I would want tone-on-tone stitching, flat natural welt, natural edge, single-leather sole, and maybe a TOPY. (One thing I'm not sure about is whether having them be unlined would be desirable or even possible.) I would wear them with loafer socks.

What do y'all think?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had I not already snagged a pair of Alden CXL PTB I would be all over them, are you planning a different MTO since they didn't quite come out the way you wanted?
I am going to have them replaced the way I want buy have the ability to buy these at a very low price additionally and just wanted to offer it up to everyone here rather than returning them

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads