The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Gents, I'm back in the game! Got the call from James at the Boston AE store and I couldn't resist the trunk show offerings. Gonna grab two pair... here's what I had them put me down for. Oh, and you know there's gonna be exposed eyelets! :)

#1:
    - Leeds Derby Shoes
    - Size: 12D
    - Leather: Natural Shell
    - Exposed antique brass eyelets
    - Tone on tone stitching
    - Chili split reverse welt
    - Double Rendenbach leather outsole
    - Light brown transparent edge dressing
    - Standard Brown leather insole

#2:
    - Bradley Dress Shoes (Norwegian Split Toe)
    - Size: 12D
    - Leather: Brown Shell Cordovan
    - Exposed antique brass eyelets
    - Tone on tone stitching
    - Natural split reverse welt
    - Double Rendenbach leather outsole
    - Natural edge dressing
    - Standard Brown leather insole

(This 2nd config is the one I tried to submit the day before the MTO program was shut down and I was denied. It's good to be back!)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Those Leeds sound great! However if you ever get tired of them, I know of a 12D that could fill them ;) I'm planning on eyelets for one or two of mine. Besides brass, what other eyelet options are available that you know of, o eyelet master.

3. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing!

4. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Glad you were thinking of me. They'd be to big for your 11.5D anyways.

5. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

6. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Looks like you got some good responses but if it's helpful here are a pair I had made up earlier this year. I wanted something that was unique. I've actually worn them more than I thought I would. I know it's a different style but here you go...if it gives you ideas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Blaster, congrats! Those sound awesome!!!

-Mike

8. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Regarding the GMTO's, does anyone else get the impression the shells were moved to the head of the line? There seem to be a lot of Townleys and Bayfields popping up relative to merlot EC's.

They also seem to be giving priority to folks who ordered multiple pairs, which I supposed is understandable.

I'm mindful they only have so many craftsmen available to work on these and somebody has to be the last person to get theirs shipped. Whatever their system is, it ain't exactly FIFO.

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

And it's not a blanket priority for multiple orderers: my Bayfields were done over a week ago, but no news on my merlot EC. So don't take it personally. :)

10. AndyC

AndyC Senior member

I'm in the same boat. Bayfields are here, nothing on merlot EC.

11. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

I don't normally cotton to the smooth-and-suede combinations, but those are exquisite.

12. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Order of receiving for me
    Navy EC
    the below three all shipped within 2 days of each other
    Townley
    Bayfield
    Merlot EC

I am sure there is no reason for the schedules...I would have been very happy if they were spaced out further...I did order a Shaker MTO I guess 5 weeks or so ago and have not received them yet

13. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

It is a bit gut wrenching the process of not knowing and wondering the randomness. It'd be much easier on everyone waiting if they all shipped with in a few days of each other from one order. Sounds like the first person will get theirs, then possibly the last person to get them a few weeks later. Versus a few days. I fully expected all the ECs to be done before the Townleys and Bayfields to be shipped out. But the first Bayfield was done and shipped 2 weeks after the order was submitted.

My Townley shipped yesterday and the Bayfield is in lasting. So hoping for next week, fingers crossed.

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Ok, so on the subject of MTO QA issues, I have had a string of bad luck recently.

Let me preface this by saying that I feel incredibly guilty complaining about this, since the company's customer support has been so stellar, and, dare I say, kind.

Last fall, I had a burgundy cordovan Kenilworth made. I loved these shoes. My absolute favorites!

[​IMG]

After roughly 10 wears, I noticed some fissures starting to open up in the toe of the right shoe. I pretty much stopped wearing them, and hemmed and hawed about contacting Allison for months.

[​IMG]

Eventually, back in September, I sent her the shoes, and the team decided that it was a manufacturing flaw, and Allison very kindly and graciously offered to have a completely new pair made, despite the fact that Kenilworth has been discontinued.

I finally received my replacements.

[​IMG]

A little darker than my last pair. No problem, I like it, actually.

Oops a few missed specs. Medium brown transparent edging instead of toasted. Ok, looks better with the darker shell color, actually. No wheeling and fudging. Meh, overrated, I say. Looks good without.

Uh-oh. Some issues. The entire toe and vamp of one of the shoes is covered with pits and craters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, the spray shellacking was done rather haphazardly and sloppily. Streaks and blotches of dye all over the place. Some even dripped down onto the edging. Yikes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I tried them on. Ouch. The insole of the left shoe is completely lopsided. I can not walk in these. It sends nerve pain up my leg. You can see it clearly looking at the back of the shoe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If I can't wear these shoes, then there's no way I can keep them. But honestly, yall, considering the generosity of the replacement offer, should I feel like a complete arse-hole for sending them back?

:(

I'm dreading making the call to Allison, and I feel guilty having to do it. But seriously, how could these have passed inspection? There not even seconds, because they can't be worn.

My other issue involves my THIRD pair of replacement bourbon Bleecker Streets being defective. I'm going to give up on these, as much as I love the design. I won't bore yall with pics as this post is already quite long, but I really not that picky with shoe flaws, so what's going on here?

15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

@peppercorn78 I am on the extreme easy going side(my Bayfields GMTO pull strap is completely off center) and there is no way I would keep those and I disagree the lighter welt looked way better [​IMG]

what bugs me more than the pits in the leather is the mis shaped sole on the toe area and the stitching being so close to the edge...not sure why but in all shoes that bugs me when the sole is not shaped to match the curve of the upper.