The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

I think I'm going to order something very similar from my local Atlanta AE store. I toyed with the idea of standard brown shell, but I've all but decided to go with the new, limited edition Dark Brown. Although I love the look of the shoes in your photo, I think I want something I can cross over to business casual - probably chili welt and medium brown edging.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. AndyC

AndyC Senior member

I just got invoiced for a natty shell MacNeil and a natty shell Dundee. Still considering the above makeup, but man that's going to put a hurting on my wallet this month!

3. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

did anybody manage to take pictures of the shell colors?

4. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I would love to see some pics of the event as well!

5. frankmartin

frankmartin Well-Known Member

Is there anywhere which describes the different insoles and linings which would be available in the scope of an MTO ?

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Check out the first post of this thread

7. mdubs

8. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Just got back from the trunk show - thanks to Paul, Skip, Ryan, Matt, and the guys from the production team - who were chock full of information on parts of the process that our MTOs are going through... Got there late, so didn't get to spend as much time getting familiar, but Paul did toss me a compliment on my jacket while I was there... [​IMG]

It couldn't have turned out better!

As for photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bottle Green Macneil , Natural Dundee and Deep Dark Brown Strand. The Navy PA (if I remember correctly) slipped away from the display for a moment, and I was a little loopy from low blood sugar - ate all the cookies put out for us. Glad I went...Am concocting my shoe now...thinking about a Bottle green Strand without medallion or Natural Macneil. Will call in tomorrow - happy to hear suggestions!

9. mdubs

Rumor has it that they won't remove the medallion from the Strand.

10. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Funny that the bottle green looks like a shade I was hoping the Navy would be...The Deep Dark Brown is darker in person than in the photo? In the photo it looks like regular ole Dark Walnut...sorry could not help myself.

Glad you had a great time and thanks for the pics!

11. frankmartin

frankmartin Well-Known Member

Unless I'm missing something, the first post in the thread doesn't cover all the insoles and linings available.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Oops.

Well for insoles you have three options: standard leather, poron foam, or independence insole, which is leather wrapped in padding and only available with indy or shell cordovan price points.

Edit: you can also add a heel pad or padded sockliner or half-sockliner. I'll upload some pics of each in the morning.

For lining, you have standard leather in various colors (brown, black, blue, orange, red, maybe more), or independence lamb skin lining (again only for 499$+ makeups.)

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Those pics have just pushed me over the edge...yo Atlanta...PM incoming...

14. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

I felt the same way about the green; that's kind of how I wanted the navy to look.

The deep dark brown looks very, very similar to the brown that has been available. I said to Matt, one of the guys who works at the store, that it looked like the same brown cordovan Strand that they normally have on display.

15. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

I thought that same thing, Kahuna, but if you take a peek at the Bottle Green swatch next to the shoe...a decidedly different shade of green. More...green. Variations in depth of color on both the swatch and the shoe were beautiful.

When I placed them side by side - with Matt's help as well - the Deep Dark Brown has a much richer tone; actually a "deeper" brown. You could see more of the lighter tones in the shell of the old brown, which is not to say that the new one wouldn't lighten up nicely as well. It's a very minor difference at a glance, I agree.

Hmmm... There was some talk about a shell First Avenue makeup; that in Bottle Green or a Green debrogued Dalton might just take this cordovan thing to another level for me.

It's not fair in person. My pictures lie slightly, but especially so on the green's eye catching appeal, I think. It got a lot of the comments that I heard. Natural, Bottle and Deep Dark Brown leave their mark on you quickly. I wish I could see into the future to a point when the navy shell that was on display has lightened up some; it is probably darker than the EC Navy Calf MTO by a shade under bright light, and more blue. I'm glad I went because it doesn't sound like any of these colors is necessarily around for good. I'm happy to own one of the first from a limited color run of Horween AE, and meet the men in person - BTW, Paul seemed 6' 7" when we were talking. Wonder if he was an athlete.

I really need to go back and look at what models and options are available for me to tweak without incurring SMU fee - this could be hard to choose.

As an aside, the oxblood calf Dalton I saw had some great color to it; burnishing was the cherry on top for the boot in this hue.