The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Cali

Cali Senior member

I got a similar email from Allison, that I take was a quote from Paul. I agree with Mike that it was extremely genuine and that we should be very understanding of the issues they are facing (significantly increased costs, few shoemakers, growth etc). Our special requests also generate more errors in the production line that result in discarded shoes that cannot be sold as seconds (custom etc), at a cost to them. Once the MTO line is up and running with experienced shoemakers who are more flexible I think things might be very good for us, but I also think that we owe it to AE to be patient and appreciate how accommodating they have been with us re. special orders.

I think the bottom line is that this is a company who cares about our community, but right now they are in a growing pains scenario. Obviously we have other options in the market, but AE has been quite good to us, and will continue to be as much as they are able. They have added quite a few people to their team to help with the growth and it will probably take some time to get all parties moving in the same direction. This is very much a 'Getting their house in order' operation, and I am tentatively excited that they could have a more impressive operation as a result. I think that the people at the top at AE understand what needs to be done to grow with the demand, but only time will tell how successful they will be.

2. wurger

wurger Senior member

very honest response from AE, there is also a lot of knit picking on the AE thread too, hopefully everyone can appreciate what Paul and his team has done for our community.

3. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I for one am extremely thankful for the development of the mto program as well as the opportunity to have a shoe that is uniquely mine.

I feel very fortunate to have got into the game early.

4. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

^ Thoroughly impressed. Thanks for the write-up.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  5. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I inquired about a makeup almost the same as yours except for having Dainite soles, but passed on it as it was right when they could no longer offer these MTO's at clearance prices. Not a big deal, as I really don't need any more shoes (possibly for the rest of my life, LOL!). They certainly look great though. Congrats!

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

As of now my MTO is scheduled to ship week of 4/7. Order was placed 2/14 so looks like they are running about 8 weeks currently. I figured that might be useful for folks trying to place a spring/summer shoe order

7. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Still no word on the Amok's I ordered on Feb 19. Figuring the full 8 weeks is likely considering how many orders they would have taken during the clearance event.

8. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

My Amoks took forever to receive as well. Just be patient, they should come. You can always call Allison and she can track them down for you.

9. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I'm not worried - was anticipating a full 8 weeks when I purchased. Now the weather is beginning to get better I have my Alden chukkas to wear. At ~$120 I thought they were too well priced not to purchase!

How do you like your Amok's mdubs?

10. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Hoit, yeah, I got mine in September for 108... I couldn't pass on that either. I got them in December and honestly haven't worn them yet. They are very nice looking Chukkas though and a sleeker design, which I like. I need to get the AE Suede Protector or nano and just haven't gotten to it yet. I just got 2 Alden LHS in Suede, so now I should have more motivation. :)

-Mike

11. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I need some advice here. I'm thinking of having a spectator boot made up. As I already have 2 cap toe boots on the way (MTO eagle county) I was thinking of doing an MTO on the McAdams. Yes I know that MTO for discontinued models are no longer offered but luckily the discussion for this began before that came out so AE has been generous enough to honor the previous MTO arrangement.

I cant decide between the 2 make ups:

A. Bourbon Calf - Toe Cap, Vamp, Heel Cup, Backstay
    Snuff Suede - Quarters, Tongue, and Eyestays

or

B. Bourbon Calf - Toe Cap, Heel Cup, Backstay, Eyestays
    Snuff Suede - Vamp, Quarters, Tongue

I wanted to do a suede - calfskin leather combo because i prefer textural contrast over color contrast. Snuff suede and bourbon appear close enough in my eyes. Are there other combos you can recommend?

I know the spec is quite unusual, but I like a bit of unusual in my shoes.

Another option is a natural CXL Long Branch, but I already have a Chili Carson City boot and a tan saddle waxy leather Eagle County (on the way) so I think it may be redundant.

12. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I like option B to give more of a spectator look since you get a contract between the toe cap and vamp. Also, I've been thinking of a calfskin suede combo longwing for a long time, just can't justify it at the moment. The only other concern is how the dramatic bourbon burnishing will look when it's cut off due the suede portions.

A CXL long branch would be cool too, but a snuff suede one would be even cooler for spring :)

13. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thanks NWTeal for your input. Normally I would just go for option B. However I noticed that on the McAdam, the wing tips don't go as far back on the side as the wing tips on the McAllister. Also, the eyestays also extend further down the front of the shoe resulting to a smaller area for the vamp and the toe cap. Just looking at the pictures over the web, this makes the toe cap of the McAdam look a bit small and stubby. I was worried that if the vamp was suede, it would make the toe cap look even smaller. That's is how I came up with Option A. By making the vamp bourbon as well, I was hoping to visually make the bourbon front bigger, hopefully masking the small cap toe.

Thanks for the suggestion of LB is snuff suede too.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  14. tanbar

tanbar Senior member

Does the no discontinued models stipulation apply to boots/shoes that are still available on the website in the clearance section? Earlier in the thread it was said that the Eagle County was no longer available for MTO, but it looks like another version of it just popped up in the clearance section (could have been there all along, maybe I just missed it before). Could that still be ordered for the original listed price since the clearance prices are no longer in effect for MTO?

15. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

You can not do an MTO on a model that is not in the full price portion of the website.