1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Gentlemen,

My third AE MTO. I actually acquired them from a fellow SF member.

Dundee Chukka Boot
    -Walnut Shell Cordovan
    -Double JR Soles
    -Brown Split-Reverse Welt
    -Brown Edge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Mike

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

My forth MTO, submitted today. Hopefully done in a month or two.

Strand Semi-Brogue Balmoral
    -BROWN CORDOVAN
    -INDEPENDENCE LINING LEATHER & INSOLE
    -CHILI WELT
    -WHEELING AND FUDGING
    -INDEPENDENCE OUTSOLE AND HEEL
    -MEDIUM BROWN TRANSPARENT EDGE DRESSING

So I have heard that they won't do wheeling (fudging) anymore, but it looks like it is being handled on more of a case-by-case basis depending upon the design. I will post more on this later today.

Anyone have a pic of Medium Brown Transparent Edging? I am trying to get as close to the Alden Antique edging (pictured in the spoiler) as possible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Mike

3. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Nice makeup! [​IMG]

4. nosrep123

nosrep123 Well-Known Member

Yes you did. I interpreted what you said earlier as, it's possible but just won't look nice. anyway thanks for the followup, looks like my dream shoe is not possible :(

5. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

[​IMG]

6. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

That sucks! I hope it's for a good reason.

7. afewnicethings

afewnicethings Member

My first MTO

Promontory Point
    Natural Chromexcel Leather
    Double leather sole
    Flat brown welt
    Natural antique transparent edge
    Brass eyelets with three speed hooks
    Tan stitching

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinking about doing a Kenwood in Natural CXL for the warmer months.

8. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Mike- The toes look slightly darkened/burnished. Is that just the color variation from the shell at the right place? or were you able to do something special to them?

9. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Sir, that is just how they came out. I have done nothing to them to darken the toes in particular.

10. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Response from Paul Grangaard Regarding AE MTOs
    Particularly about not doing Old Lasts/Designs

I received a response from Paul Grangaard on Sunday morning. Paul was very genuine and straightforward in his response and due to this, I do not feel it proper for me to post his full E-mail on the internet. If anyone would like to see the actual response, please PM me, and I will gladly pass it along, but I will ask that you do not publish it. I have also added a bit of my continuation of his points.

Paul goes into several factors that are causing Allen Edmonds to reign in the MTOs for the time being. They are related to the shortage of Shell Cordovan, the raising costs of materials, and the growth that AE has experienced over the last few years. One can easily ascertain that growth means more production, which means that they have to ramp up production to meet demand, this can be done via faster production or more staff. Both of these approaches cause issues when producing anything, particularly something that requires the level of skill that only comes from experience, such as shoemaking. Thus, the production yield of AE has been reducing and with increased cost of materials, that can be hard for a business. Doing complicated and one-off MTOs makes things harder (especially with the typical MTO customer’s level of scrutiny and expectations for blemishes, come on, I know you all have your laser nanometer measuring devices). AE is trying to rework some stuff internally to try and ensure that they can keep up with demand, while increasing yield and maintaining the same quality.

Paul is committed to continuing to support the MTO program and is actually going to run all MTOs through one production line stuffed with his more experienced shoe makers. But, as you can guess making changes on a corporate level with a minimal impact to production is hard and will just require some time (and patience on our part), but he is shooting to getting changes implemented quickly or by the next “boot season”. They may still limit things, if they feel like the design is just too difficult to do on a one-shoe basis, but will do their best to make everyone happy.

I think these changes and ideas are for the best of both AE’s and our interests. Hope that this helps and have a good one fellow AE MTO aficionados.

-Mike

4 people like this.
  11. Cali

Cali Senior member

I got a similar email from Allison, that I take was a quote from Paul. I agree with Mike that it was extremely genuine and that we should be very understanding of the issues they are facing (significantly increased costs, few shoemakers, growth etc). Our special requests also generate more errors in the production line that result in discarded shoes that cannot be sold as seconds (custom etc), at a cost to them. Once the MTO line is up and running with experienced shoemakers who are more flexible I think things might be very good for us, but I also think that we owe it to AE to be patient and appreciate how accommodating they have been with us re. special orders.

I think the bottom line is that this is a company who cares about our community, but right now they are in a growing pains scenario. Obviously we have other options in the market, but AE has been quite good to us, and will continue to be as much as they are able. They have added quite a few people to their team to help with the growth and it will probably take some time to get all parties moving in the same direction. This is very much a 'Getting their house in order' operation, and I am tentatively excited that they could have a more impressive operation as a result. I think that the people at the top at AE understand what needs to be done to grow with the demand, but only time will tell how successful they will be.

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

very honest response from AE, there is also a lot of knit picking on the AE thread too, hopefully everyone can appreciate what Paul and his team has done for our community.

13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I for one am extremely thankful for the development of the mto program as well as the opportunity to have a shoe that is uniquely mine.

I feel very fortunate to have got into the game early.

14. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

^ Thoroughly impressed. Thanks for the write-up.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  15. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I inquired about a makeup almost the same as yours except for having Dainite soles, but passed on it as it was right when they could no longer offer these MTO's at clearance prices. Not a big deal, as I really don't need any more shoes (possibly for the rest of my life, LOL!). They certainly look great though. Congrats!

16. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

As of now my MTO is scheduled to ship week of 4/7. Order was placed 2/14 so looks like they are running about 8 weeks currently. I figured that might be useful for folks trying to place a spring/summer shoe order

17. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Still no word on the Amok's I ordered on Feb 19. Figuring the full 8 weeks is likely considering how many orders they would have taken during the clearance event.

18. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

My Amoks took forever to receive as well. Just be patient, they should come. You can always call Allison and she can track them down for you.

19. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I'm not worried - was anticipating a full 8 weeks when I purchased. Now the weather is beginning to get better I have my Alden chukkas to wear. At ~$120 I thought they were too well priced not to purchase!

How do you like your Amok's mdubs?

20. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Hoit, yeah, I got mine in September for 108... I couldn't pass on that either. I got them in December and honestly haven't worn them yet. They are very nice looking Chukkas though and a sleeker design, which I like. I need to get the AE Suede Protector or nano and just haven't gotten to it yet. I just got 2 Alden LHS in Suede, so now I should have more motivation. :)

-Mike