1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

I have sent a PM group message to the people below regarding the navy EC GMTO.

@Mossington
    @jch1
    @jzrhwinnj
    @gg253
    @peppercorn78
    @adamdurbin
    @ridethecliche
    @Kahuna75

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Quote:Yes, you are correct, I have predominantly purchased the Independence soles on my MTOs, however, I do not consider myself an expert. I have found and was told that the two soles are about equal in terms of the performance, but the Indy's look significantly better from the onset, thus they are my preference. -Mike

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

WI, forgive the silly questions please:

1. What actually is the minimum number for each make-up?

2. As they have the patterns already, and presumably have whatever their minimum is to click a hide in a certain colour, can they not make some individual variations? After all, with 100+ different sizes it's not like they're making the same shoe each time - different patterns, different sole sizes etc. Is it not possible to vary sole choices and even eyelets, within a group order?

Just a thought. For example, with a GMTO I've just done with Vass, with a completely new pattern, we only needed six people for the MTO fee waiver, got a choice of three leathers, and everyone could choose their sole/welt etc individually - because the hard work was making the pattern, and with leathers already in stock there was no concern on minimums for the colours. I guess it's a big company/small company thing, but it just occurred to me.

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I think the whole point of this is: 1) AE does not currently have a group MTO program 2) We have convinced Paul to start one 3) Paul has expressed several times that high levels of individual customization are not sustainable 4) we would very much like for this program to be sustainable. Hence, making tough choices.

5. mimo

mimo Senior member

Yep, OK. If that's the deal, that's the deal. But no harm in asking.

6. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

I think Vass margins are a lot higher than AEs, so it's much easier for the former company to offer a slew of changes in an MTO program.

AE's name of the game is to crank out high volume, selling at lower margins. At the end of the day, making RTW shoes are more efficient than MTO shoes, hence AE prefers this route.

7. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

I for one believe that these first GMTO's should be very straightforward and easy to accommodate. It's possible that the program can evolve into something a bit more individualistic in time, but out of the gate, it should be simple. Otherwise, we risk killing the program before it ever gets off the ground.

As far as minimum quantities (and pricing), last we heard, WI was waiting on Mr. Grangaard's response, who in turn is waiting to see the final make-up(s) and numbers committed.

8. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

A thought: if in a group of 10+, if you could split it out so that there were at least 5 people who wanted one makeup and 5 for another, I wonder if that would be enough. For example, the navy EC may have a split group for black vs brown edge. If we did 5 for black and 5 for brown, would that be enough orders to justify a GMTO per makeup? Just a thought for watchidiot.

9. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

I certainly hope that 5 is the magic number, since that's all that is left in my preferred make-up (no. 1). It may be that a smaller number works for shell than for calf. Then again, it may be the opposite?!?!

10. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

To be honest it would have been helpful to know minimum order requirements upfront. it doesn't feel like 5 of these and 5 of those would be "enough" if the goal is to make it sustainable for AE.

11. peppercorn78

To be honest, I was completely torn between the navy and merlot makeups. If my fellow navy friends decide that they prefer to change to the brown welt/edge, then I would be happy to switch to merlot, as long as that is allowed by our fearless leader. :)

12. rostov

rostov Senior member

IMO, the best solution here would be to list makeup as a candidate for a Condorcet election, have everyone vote, and everyone gets whatever shoe is selected. The condorcet is a run-off style voting system that allows users to vote for a ranking of their favorite candidates. You may not get your personal first choice, but the group gets its choice. Such elections can be created here. In theory, this should provide the makeup that the largest number of users are willing to commit to buying.

Run one election for the EC and another election for the Townleys.

Perhaps next time... ;-)

13. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Gentlemen lets keep it simple and stick with the plan. The language used in the surveys was pretty clear about its intent: the first one was to find the model + upper that would acceptable to most by majority, the second one identifying most accepted details of the chosen models/leather again by majority, and third is a commitment to order the already defined specs. This is why only a consensus is acceptable to change the already defined specs since everybody's order commitment is based on the existing spec and not contingent on further changes to that spec.

Please remember that going into this there was only an MTO program with $125 custom fee and both EC and Townley were not available even for that MTO program. Also initially the GMTO was ONLY for single make up but it has already morphed to 7 make ups.

2 people like this.
  14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

This is why we can't have nice things...

1 person likes this.
  15. peppercorn78

Hahaha! The problem is that we've all tasted the absolute individual freedom of the prior program.

Now it's like herding cats.

16. Mossington

Mossington New Member

WI, I can now only opt in for 2 purchases for the EC, and would prefer to drop out of the Merlot, that is of course pending that we have enough orders for the brown grain and navy.

17. zombiesartre

zombiesartre Active Member

Was there ever a consensus on Black, Blind, or Brass eyelets on the Merlot EC? Because the poll results dont seem to follow the make up

18. polofitted007

polofitted007 Member

What wast the poll results? Was it blind or black, either way we should go by it...

19. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Gents, a few pages back I shared why the final make up is as it is. http://www.styleforum.net/t/381983/the-allen-edmonds-mto-thread/2340

20. polofitted007

polofitted007 Member

My last comment as I am in either way and don't want to slow down the process but if blind won, why brass...