• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Alden Buy, Sell, Trade (B/S/T) Thread

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, your prices weren't ridiculous. I suspect what irked many of the good folks here is that you were trying to flip three pairs of exotics in three very different sizes, so they couldn't be pairs you acquired for your wardrobe. And they were well within the return period. Without context, that really makes you come across as a flipper/scalper, and not an Alden enthusiast, which is the standard that most regulars here would hold you to. If there's an unwritten rule, it's that you're expected to approach the thread as an enthusiast. Just my $0.02.

I'm not sure about the pricing. A lot of folks sell their stuff here at a decent value. Many others sell at a premium. Members often charge close to full retail for worn exotics, which, to me, is the same as charging a mark-up on new exotic pairs. So, it's less about the asking price, I think, and more how your post is perceived.

Edit: I hope you'll continue to participate in these threads, even if this experience was discouraging. Today, more than any other, is all about the spirit of community for the Alden brethren on SF.

+1. The prices were honestly fine and I don't really fault someone for looking for the market value for what they're trying to sell (of course it's always nice when people pass it on for cost), especially when it's something you purchased intending to wear. I think most people took issue with three very different sizes of exotics being sold at a profit because it generally screams flipper.

nareichert

Reaction score
+1. The prices were honestly fine and I don't really fault someone for looking for the market value for what they're trying to sell (of course it's always nice when people pass it on for cost), especially when it's something you purchased intending to wear. I think most people took issue with three very different sizes of exotics being sold at a profit because it generally screams flipper.
Yeah, it's all good. I didn't understand the best practices and people seem to be on edge for good reasons at the moment. I literally panicked and bought the 3 pairs as fast as I could thinking people I know would want them, when they didn't I thought I would try and make a few bucks. Clearly not the place to do it.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want to know what defects Alden has been using those horrible panels to cover up
I wonder if the shell rips at the lasting hole and they attempt to cover it up. Only thing I can think of.

It’s actually TSM that does the repair as far as I understand it. Typically when you see the panels at the heel back stay it’s because it tore there coming off the last.

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone selling any pairs of alden in 6.5/7 ? preferably exotic shell !
got a pair of 6.5E color 8 LHS Loafer, they are TSM seconds but I can't find a flaw, they just don't fit like the 6.5d calf LHS I have.

asking TSM price plus shipping

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've also know guys who have sold rare shell at list to a fellow member only to have them turn around and flip it because the fit wasn't right etc. Idk if there really is a good solution to flipping?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've also know guys who have sold rare shell at list to a fellow member only to have them turn around and flip it because the fit wasn't right etc. Idk if there really is a good solution to flipping?
Best you can do is hope people are as grateful as you and pass along your kindness of not gouging them.

I did enjoy finding out the retailer that tried to charge like $1500 for whiskey shell during preorders figured out that wasn't going to fly...

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all this talk of the cost of rare shell.. I still have a pair of Cigar LWB for 800 net to me. Worn a handful of times. 11.5D barrie. :hide:

nareichert

Reaction score
I've actually bought a pair of C&J shell off ebay that didn't fit, sold them on ebay at a loss to the original seller, and he sold them again.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best you can do is hope people are as grateful as you and pass along your kindness of not gouging them.

I did enjoy finding out the retailer that tried to charge like $1500 for whiskey shell during preorders figured out that wasn't going to fly...

That really happened?

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lucky Alden didn't pull their whole line out of the establishment.

X_dSF

Reaction score
Also willing to buy some rare shell in 7.5 to 8 here...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads