• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Alden Buy, Sell, Trade (B/S/T) Thread

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can tell you from experience that this is not unequivocally true. I have had multiple shoes that have model numbers that code for a different shoe, and I have one currently in my possession now. Would be happy to provide photos.

And I’d be curious what pairs you have with the same model number so I can note that down. I keep track of many Alden model numbers, so that’d be useful to know.

vestbash

Reaction score
Photos attached.
271BB6A4-B7D4-4E44-8CFB-91E33E3EC7F8.jpeg
21C3927E-3460-4EEC-AB5A-AF175DB4D5C1.jpeg

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool. Looks to be a very old brown grain saddle? Do you have sole or heel pad pics to help estimate their age? If they’re more recent I’d guess it was an error with the model code since the 993 is a black shell saddle bal, but if the sole and other details look old I’d guess they re-used the model number after many years.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I found the eBay listing you bought these off of. Looks like the old school 4A logo. Based on that I’d guess they’re 1991 or maybe even 1981. I’m not sure when they switched over the 993 to the black shell saddle bal but that’s very cool.

vestbash

Reaction score
All that I would like to say, as the individual that was re-selling the shoes, is that I did not attempt to purposefully mislead anyone. I based the description on my professional opinion in conjunction with the shoemart reference. As with some rare models there is often no references at all, so I thought that the TSM info paired with the coloration of the shoes was enough; and therefore perhaps there was perhaps a mixup in the spec. My apologies.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All that I would like to say, as the individual that was re-selling the shoes, is that I did not attempt to purposefully mislead anyone. I based the description on my professional opinion in conjunction with the shoemart reference. As with some rare models there is often no references at all, so I thought that the TSM info paired with the coloration of the shoes was enough; and therefore perhaps there was perhaps a mixup in the spec. My apologies.

And I do not want to suggest that you were misleading anyone. I apologize if that was what came across.

I was simply trying to help out and share my knowledge here so that folks are not surprised or confused. Alden has created a confusing world, and at the end of the day, color names are just that - names. Cigar can look like Ravello and vice versa, and Color 4 can look like Color 8 and vice versa.

If some folks don’t trust me, that’s fine, but I think that the majority of the members here who are involved with Alden know me and know how I roll.

vestbash

Reaction score
And I do not want to suggest that you were misleading anyone. I apologize if that was what came across.

I was simply trying to help out and share my knowledge here so that folks are not surprised or confused. Alden has created a confusing world, and at the end of the day, color names are just that - names. Cigar can look like Ravello and vice versa, and Color 4 can look like Color 8 and vice versa.

If some folks don’t trust me, that’s fine, but I think that the majority of the members here who are involved with Alden know me and know how I roll.

Thanks JSO1, next time I come across Aldens that I have questions about I'll be coming to you!

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In other news, I am looking to sell two pairs. Price for both together is $999 including 48-state US shipping and PayPal fees.

Only selling because I think I may need 8E or 8.5D on 379X now that I am wearing thicker socks than I used to.

PM if interested.

- Alden Color 8 Shell Double Stitch Boot on 379X last, size 8D. From Alden of Carmel. Worn once for about an hour, barely any creasing, basically new.

- Alden Snuff Suede Double Stitch Boot on 379X last, size 8D. From Alden of Carmel. Worn twice for about two hours total, basically new.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In other news, I am looking to sell two pairs. Price for both together is $999 including 48-state US shipping and PayPal fees.

Only selling because I think I may need 8E or 8.5D on 379X now that I am wearing thicker socks than I used to.

PM if interested.

- Alden Color 8 Shell Double Stitch Boot on 379X last, size 8D. From Alden of Carmel. Worn once for about an hour, barely any creasing, basically new.

- Alden Snuff Suede Double Stitch Boot on 379X last, size 8D. From Alden of Carmel. Worn twice for about two hours total, basically new.

You sure those are color 8??

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah essentially this, as your 993 demonstrate the model numbers aren't quite 100% although they are about as close to it as can be. The coloration is obviously just leagues from cigar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads