• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Alden Buy, Sell, Trade (B/S/T) Thread

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JSO1 v Shoemart ?

I have seen on multiple occasions Ravello categorized as cigar, whiskey called Ravello, etc, all based on what it looks like. They also get the last wrong quite often. I’ve actually spoken to them about this.

What they do is examine each pair as it comes in and write on the box what they think it is, and take pictures of each pair. They don’t get any information from Alden about each FD pair other than the size and the model number (which are printed on the box as well as inside the shoe).

It’s easier for them when the model numbers are consistent (such as for stock catalog shoes and certain more established older models) but for makeups and more obscure models they regularly get the last (and sometimes the color, particularly with shell) wrong.

Last edited:

Meelypops

Reaction score
I have seen on multiple occasions Ravello categorized as cigar, whiskey called Ravello, etc, all based on what it looks like. They also get the last wrong quite often. I’ve actually spoken to them about this.

What they do is examine each pair as it comes in and write on the box what they think it is, and take pictures of each pair. They don’t get any information from Alden about each FD pair other than the size and the model number (which are printed on the box as well as inside the shoe).

It’s easier for them when the model numbers are consistent (such as for stock catalog shoes and certain more established older models) but for makeups and more obscure models they regularly get the last (and sometimes the color, particularly with shell) wrong.

Them getting it wrong on occasion doesn't necessitate the fact they're wrong in this instance.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1582407170856.gif

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Them getting it wrong on occasion doesn't necessitate the fact they're wrong in this instance.

Yes, of course. But in this instance TSM was wrong, and the seller is incorrect that these are color 4. They are cigar.

I have no skin in this game as these aren’t my size, and I have no relation to the seller. I am just trying to be helpful.

Meelypops

Reaction score
Citation needed
Yes, of course. But in this instance TSM was wrong, and the seller is incorrect that these are color 4. They are cigar.

I have no skin in this game as these aren’t my size, and I have no relation to the seller. I am just trying to be helpful.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Citation needed

I’ll provide you confirmation from Alden on Monday when they are open, but I guarantee to you that these are Cigar.

The only reference to them being Color 4 is when TSM incorrectly guessed that one pair (size 12.5) was Color 4 back in February 2013 when they got a shipment of seconds in. In fact, it was @zippyh who noted “possible” Color 4 when he mentioned it here on SF.

TSM likely guessed wrong because their particular pair was very light in color. They may have been so light because they were made back in May of 2012 yet were not received as seconds until February 2013. This pair is also quite light, possibly a particularly light batch of shells were used as they got up to the larger sizes, but that’s not something we can know at this point.

There was no February 2013 run of these shoes. The production date code in this shoe reflects a May 2012 production date, exactly the same as the rest of the production run. There was also a 2011 run which was darker.

A year or so ago, TSM guessed that a Color 8 tanker from Leffot was Color 4, again based on a particularly light pair. That’s likely what happened here.

But since you seem to both doubt that I know what I’m talking about (which I do), and you seem to have some dead-set conviction that these are Color 4 (not sure why, since this exact pair was sold on eBay a few months ago by a seller who is well known for flipping shoes, and in his listing actually referenced the “possible” Color 4 comment from SF as purported reference that they’re Color 4), I will confirm with Alden on Monday.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moreover, that well known flipper bought this exact pair of shoes for $299 in November 2019 from an eBay listing that referred to them as Cigar with no mention of Color 4, and then turned around and flipped them, listing them as Color 4 based solely on the incorrect reference to them as possibly Color 4 that he likely found by googling the model number and finding that one post by @zippyh that referenced TSM’s seconds shipment.

Meelypops

Reaction score
In before “citation needed”

Yeah happy to wait to hear from Alden. The sale is nothing to do with me.

I am not sure asking for reasons why you're impacting someone's sale amounts to a dead-set conviction.

I’ll provide you confirmation from Alden on Monday when they are open, but I guarantee to you that these are Cigar.

The only reference to them being Color 4 is when TSM incorrectly guessed that one pair (size 12.5) was Color 4 back in February 2013 when they got a shipment of seconds in. In fact, it was @zippyh who noted “possible” Color 4 when he mentioned it here on SF.

TSM likely guessed wrong because their particular pair was very light in color. They may have been so light because they were made back in May of 2012 yet were not received as seconds until February 2013. This pair is also quite light, possibly a particularly light batch of shells were used as they got up to the larger sizes, but that’s not something we can know at this point.

There was no February 2013 run of these shoes. The production date code in this shoe reflects a May 2012 production date, exactly the same as the rest of the production run. There was also a 2011 run which was darker.

A year or so ago, TSM guessed that a Color 8 tanker from Leffot was Color 4, again based on a particularly light pair. That’s likely what happened here.

But since you seem to both doubt that I know what I’m talking about (which I do), and you seem to have some dead-set conviction that these are Color 4 (not sure why, since this exact pair was sold on eBay a few months ago by a seller who is well known for flipping shoes, and in his listing actually referenced the “possible” Color 4 comment from SF as purported reference that they’re Color 4), I will confirm with Alden on Monday.

vestbash

Reaction score
Sorry guys but shoe mart just guesses at the color when the shoes arrive. They don’t get the color name from Alden. 96800 is cigar. Alden doesn’t reuse model numbers for different colors.

I can tell you from experience that this is not unequivocally true. I have had multiple shoes that have model numbers that code for a different shoe, and I have one currently in my possession now. Would be happy to provide photos.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can tell you from experience that this is not unequivocally true. I have had multiple shoes that have model numbers that code for a different shoe, and I have one currently in my possession now. Would be happy to provide photos.

Not unequivocally true but they don’t re-use model numbers for different colors in the span of a few years. They have reused very very old numbers on occasion and do occasionally mess up and use the same number for different styles, but 96800 is the model # for the Unionmade cigar PTB on crepe with exposed eyelets. Unionmade never got color 4, and this shoe was always cigar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads