• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Alden Buy, Sell, Trade (B/S/T) Thread

djbanor

Reaction score
Not rare shell, but I hope a good deal nonetheless:

Color 8 six-eyelet MCT bluchers, Plaza last, 11D, new in box -- $550 shipped in CONUS

aoc1.jpg

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree the issue with rare shell sales on this community was not the price, it was the stated intent - buying not for personal use, but for immediate flipping to make money. If they were all your size and you changed your mind, that's one thing, but to buy three divergent sizes and saying you are doing it to make money, that's what was outside the bounds of how this community functions. If you were doing it strictly on eBay, go for it.

Beav

Reaction score
I'm also looking... anyone looking to part with any size 10s??

And just a general question for everyone - so I've been on the hunt for "exotic shell" for some time and have had some limited success in the B&S, Grailed and Ebay but which retailers offer them new? And it seems runs are limited, so how do you find out about this? I'm in Canada, and I've found in a few cases retailers dont ship to Canada.

Any advice of guidance would be appreciated!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree the issue with rare shell sales on this community was not the price, it was the stated intent - buying not for personal use, but for immediate flipping to make money. If they were all your size and you changed your mind, that's one thing, but to buy three divergent sizes and saying you are doing it to make money, that's what was outside the bounds of how this community functions. If you were doing it strictly on eBay, go for it.

This captures my sentiment. I know many get frustrated by the rare shell game and it is annoying to see people successfully buy and flip. But Alden has created this situation, not the OP. Alden is the only maker of fine footwear where it is nearly impossible to score rare shell. C&J, Viberg, Carmina, Bonafe and others seem to have no problem sourcing light color shell from Horween. There is a saying people I know use routinely, 'don't hate the playa hate the game'. Again, Alden created this situation.

I don't have the connections that many do so when I get an opportunity for rare shell it is typically because of the 4 or 5 color 8 purchases I've previously made so yes, when I sell, I'm factoring that in to the equation. I respect those that are willing to offer their rare shell at a discount. But I am completely unbothered by someone who is looking to profit. If Alden doesn't like this, change their model to one that makes rare shell available for those willing to pay the price.

He was honest about it, I can't fault him. I see the price, can take or leave.

My thoughts exactly........

cbondanz

Reaction score
Was going to wait until fall, but with all the action in this thread, figure I post. I have a pair of whiskey captoe boots, 11.5D plaza...plaza just doesn’t fit me properly (but damn, they look so good). DM me, I can send pics. Stay safe everyone. Chris

djbanor

Reaction score
Was going to wait until fall, but with all the action in this thread, figure I post. I have a pair of whiskey captoe boots, 11.5D plaza...plaza just doesn’t fit me properly (but damn, they look so good). DM me, I can send pics. Stay safe everyone. Chris
Cap toes or NSTs?

solid_olid

Reaction score
While we’re on the subject of rare shell, I have some older, reasonably well worn ravello shell barrie last chukkas in size 10.5D. Will add pics later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads