• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Alden Buy, Sell, Trade (B/S/T) Thread

classicalthunde

Reaction score
tangential question: for all these people who are selling shoes that are too small or too big for them - did you impulse buy these shoes in a new last and guess your size? Or are you finding variations within the last that make them run small or big depending on the make up (i.e. shell vs. cxl vs. calf skin, etc)

Reaction score
Every once in a while I like to remind everyone that I’m looking for anything in an 11 AA/B on the Barrie last.

C’mon.... There must be somebody out there with similarly long and narrow feet!

Thanks, AHS
Would 12B allen edmonds be up your alley?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tangential question: for all these people who are selling shoes that are too small or too big for them - did you impulse buy these shoes in a new last and guess your size? Or are you finding variations within the last that make them run small or big depending on the make up (i.e. shell vs. cxl vs. calf skin, etc)
I can, of course, only speak for myself. My selling of too big shoes/boots is the result of not having an Alden dealer to get properly fitted within a day's drive. I took a "gamble" early on and managed to acquire a number of boots/shoes in what I thought was the right size. Oh, they fit, but never felt "exactly" right, but with my odd feet, I figured it was ok. Once I DID find the size that fit, I started selling off the wrong sized items. In hindsight, it would have been less expensive, and more expedient, to have purchased an airplane ticket, flown to a decent Alden dealer, spent the night in a hotel, and been properly fitted in the first place. But, hindsight is 20/20. I now know my size, have sold off 90% of that which wasn't right, kept a few due to "close enough" fit and leathers I love. Have some I would sell still, but the journey has been interesting and fun at times (painful at others). I have not found variations in lasting to be a factor, just my stupidity in not getting properly fit in the first places and buying over internet, based on someone's recommendation of what my size "should" be. That person, actually being an Alden dealer, who based their "expert opinion" based on my sizing in AE HM's and Wolverine 1000 Mile. My advice to those who aren't sure of size, go get freakin' fit by a dealer in person, save the headache and loss of money by doing it right the first time.

goalaso

Reaction score
I can, of course, only speak for myself. My selling of too big shoes/boots is the result of not having an Alden dealer to get properly fitted within a day's drive. I took a "gamble" early on and managed to acquire a number of boots/shoes in what I thought was the right size. Oh, they fit, but never felt "exactly" right, but with my odd feet, I figured it was ok. Once I DID find the size that fit, I started selling off the wrong sized items. In hindsight, it would have been less expensive, and more expedient, to have purchased an airplane ticket, flown to a decent Alden dealer, spent the night in a hotel, and been properly fitted in the first place. But, hindsight is 20/20. I now know my size, have sold off 90% of that which wasn't right, kept a few due to "close enough" fit and leathers I love. Have some I would sell still, but the journey has been interesting and fun at times (painful at others). I have not found variations in lasting to be a factor, just my stupidity in not getting properly fit in the first places and buying over internet, based on someone's recommendation of what my size "should" be. That person, actually being an Alden dealer, who based their "expert opinion" based on my sizing in AE HM's and Wolverine 1000 Mile. My advice to those who aren't sure of size, go get freakin' fit by a dealer in person, save the headache and loss of money by doing it right the first time.
I wish I could upvote this more than once. Having eventually realized the truth that getting on a plane is cheaper and quicker in the long run, I'll only add that if you are interested in a particular last (i.e Modified, 379x/Military) or a particular non-standard width (B, C), then make 100% certain where you are traveling will have the model, size, last and appropriate width *in stock*. It's happened more than once to me that I get there, and they don't have what I came to try on, and the person who told me they'd have it is not available. Very frustrating, but not unusual.

oskrusa

Reaction score
For me it has been a little bit of what @audog described above, however, sometimes even when a pair of shoes have felt 'right' at the store, it has turned out to be 'wrong' when walking on them and realizing about pain-points developed on my feet by the end of the day.

Aging is another factor. I have very high arches, and I have found out that they have started to collapse a bit and therefore changing my damn feet.
My weight has stayed the same, so I attribute this crap to the aging process we all go through.

Example:
I was a solid 8D on Barrie and TruBal, now I am a solid 8E on the former and TruBal doesn't work on 8D anymore.

The same has happened to me with other makers, specially with my Carminas and Enzo Bonafe boots.

Last edited:

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a good question. For me, I had lost a bunch of weight and my foot volume dropped. In some lasts I find I’m right between sizes and depending if boot or loafer, deciding how best to make accommodations. Be it, giving time for a slightly smaller suede makeup to break in or employing a cushioned insert to soak up some volume, say, in a shell makeup. Sometimes if you’re between sizes, and especially if you’re not near a store, you try the Internet suggested size, then the smaller size, only to realize the bigger size was better after all. Plane tickets and hotels are definitely cheaper in the long run. At least buying slightly used, there’s not as much depreciation for trying things out.

ryebreadiest

Reaction score
I don't live where I can easily try on high end footwear like Alden (unless I play the buy and free shipping return game) and so have gambled on some lasts for certain brands. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Also, certain leathers stretch differently. I have a pair of 11.5D Barrie shoes in suede that have given enough on the width that they fit like a glove, but 11.5D in shell just doesn't work.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't live where I can easily try on high end footwear like Alden (unless I play the buy and free shipping return game) and so have gambled on some lasts for certain brands. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Also, certain leathers stretch differently. I have a pair of 11.5D Barrie shoes in suede that have given enough on the width that they fit like a glove, but 11.5D in shell just doesn't work.
I understand that method of securing higher end footwear :)

ryebreadiest

Reaction score
I understand that method of securing higher end footwear :)
I've yet to do it (I bought one pair of 11.5 vibergs to see if that was a better fit than 12 but I ended up keeping them lol) out of some measure of guilt, but I really probably should.

xStravaGanza

Reaction score
Color 8 six-eyelet MCT Bluchers, Plaza last, 11D, NIB -- $530 + shipping

View attachment 1467002

Mocha kid suede Michigan boot, Grant last, 11D, tried on indoors -- $225 + shipping

View attachment 1467003

Snuff suede Indys, TruBalance last, 10.5D, NIB -- $450 + shipping

View attachment 1467008

Crockett & Jones snuff suede WT boots, 335 last, 10UK, NWOB -- $325 + shipping

View attachment 1467010
Sent you a

View attachment 1467002

Mocha kid suede Michigan boot, Grant last, 11D, tried on indoors -- $225 + shipping

View attachment 1467003

Snuff suede Indys, TruBalance last, 10.5D, NIB -- $450 + shipping

View attachment 1467008

View attachment 1467010
Sent you a message via chat

MSHFB

Reaction score
For sale
All price includes shipping in CONUS.
PM me if interested

1.Ravello Captoe Boot on Grant Last
8.5E, box & bag - $850 + PP fee
SOLD
99F05156-FDC2-419E-807A-C20111C6CBC4.jpeg

2.Whiskey LHS in Van Last
9D, box & bag - $850 + PP fee
8BDEF144-BA8E-4E2E-AC29-1A275FC792D7.jpeg
3. Color 8 Jumper Boot on Barrie Last
8.5E, box & bag -$450 + PP fee
0FF79213-ED5F-45E9-B469-C84002870819.jpeg
4. Color 8 PTB on Barrie Last, 7.5D
box, bag & shoe tree - $450+ PP fee
B8F2C5F5-657C-47A0-8C57-7FA0F59FA34C.jpeg

Last edited:

Webbo

Reaction score
Perhaps it will help if I change currencies. These are now discontinued so I think US$600 plus shipping for these unworn BB LHS in 11.5D is a very good deal for someone.

IMG_2541.jpg

djbanor

Reaction score

aoc1.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford