The "Actively Discovering 'New' Brands" Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 23, 2015.

1. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Good to know, thank you. Just checked the measurements on their site and the two cuts are pretty close together. It'll come down to leg opening for me.

Slim has a 7.75" and Classic has a 8.25" (for size 32, anyways)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

2. Xman11815

Xman11815 Well-Known Member

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Seriously considering purchasing one of the newer Berg&Berg ties. Their old stuff, which was much cheaper, wasn't too good. But I think they've changed makers.

Am I the only one who would be interested in whether B&B makes decent ties now?

4. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Ring Jacket is one of the better "bang for your buck" makers along with Samuelsohn. I say if you like it and need it, go for it.

Also, almost all grey suits are dull looking but that's the point - business dress.

5. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

They look tempting, but the less than 3.5 inch /9 cm width keeps meon the sidelines with them.

6. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great idea for a thread, Claghorn.

I'm curious too about B&B.

My one tie from them isn't great (bought in spring). The fabric, some grenadine like weave, is very delicate and fraying (after a few wears; not their fault per se). Tie isn't really sewn together in a way that suggests care for details by the manufacturer. @jrd617 had a bad experience with them with a tie that look rather poorly constructed in a worse way than mine at the same point. Look right below the bar tack where the two sides of the tie don't perfectly line up. I just thing that's a little sloppy.

[​IMG]

The owners seem very nice (they let me get the free shipping deal after I missed it by a day), and many of their ties are attractive. I wouldn't have paid $89 for this had I seen it though. My sense is that one should wait for their end of season sales. I would try again, but would like to hear more feedback from recent purchasers.

Still I like wearing the tie. I just don't think it will last long

[​IMG]

7. TweedyProf

If it is a perfect replica of the USA cut, I would be in. I'm sure Hertling has patterns that can be used by different vendors. I'm curious if we can get confirmation of whether Dapper Classics are using the same pattern as HY.

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I follow them a bit like I do a lot of other similar makers so I can see what they are up to and I know what you are saying, the last season or so there has been some really bad hand-rolling on them. Some fabrics don't take to it as well as other though and in those cases, especially grenadines I think it's better, lasts longer and neater to do a self tipped finish (not as igent though....) You can see also in your image above there is a gap between the folds rather than an overlap, which tells me that the fabric has been scrimped on as well. Anyway I do like a lot of the fabrics they choose, I'll have to have a look again and see what they are up to. Should be pretty easy to tell if they have changed makers.

9. TM79

TM79 Senior member

You can compare measurements between DC and HY right there on their respective sites ...

It is not identical. Epaulet isn't the same as the other sites, either. Slight variations everywhere.

10. TweedyProf

Let us know what you suss out. Would be interested in your take.

11. Claghorn

As would I. I might order one by Sunday (free shipping until the seventh). Agreed. Not all fabrics are great with handrolling. Grenadine is nicer with self-tipping, I think. Though Hober does a hell of a job (as I can't tell that the tie is handrolled when I'm looking at it from the front.

12. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I'm sorry, @TweedyProf but that B&B tie doesn't do it for me at all. Apart from the very sloppy construction it looks a bit like a grenadine with acne to me.
    And though the less than durable fabric is not from their own making, they are responsible for selecting it. So a poor choice by them, I'd say.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

+1. My recollection is that the thigh on the DC and the leg opening are both 0.25 inch narrower. The other thing to keep in mind is that you're dealing with a real company that actually answers its e-mails and accepts returns if it does not fit or you simply do not like it. The dark days of having no return options with HY are done.

14. Claghorn

Beginning to think I might not "take one for the team" and buy something from B&B

[​IMG]

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

^ Looks like the same issue I had with the uneven folds...