The "Actively Discovering 'New' Brands" Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 23, 2015.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a pair of Jalan's and love them. They're a couple of years old though, and their designs these days are less appealing. Probably a bit above AE level in terms of finishing and QC. No idea on construction.

I understand from someone at Unipair (it may have been @unipair guy) that the guy who designed the production methods trained as a cordwainer in England. But that's pretty meaningless (can't we say the same about Daniel Day-Lewis?)

I think @EliodA has plans to stop by their factory at some point.

On a different note, anyone has experience with Breuer ties? Turns out I own one. Makes an excellent knot, but the silk didn't impress me.

Last edited: May 29, 2015

2. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Yup, that's still the plan, though for the time being I'm stuck in Singapore so it won't be any time soon, I'm afraid.

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

VANDA!

4. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Thanks for daylighting them! They've got some great designs. That Moby Dick print is calling me.

5. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Seems even Gennaro Solito has branched out to Singapore [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Pretty sure most of the stuff on this forum is made with solito fashion.

7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Would Solito fashion have clothes in it, or the promises of clothes?

8. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I have several. My local NMLC gets mainline Bergdorf stuff and they never attract any attention. Pretty sure I haven't spent more than $50 on any of them. Not my faves, but a really great value at the sub-$50 mark if you see them at a NMLC.

9. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

I was looking at Jalan's the other night online and with the exception of a few mentions in the Unpair thread the forum is silent on the matter. But considering that lack of info here and the cost being above Carmina it didn't seem like a good move.

I have a Breuer wool square. Got it at Nieman I think - it's big and takes up a lot of space but nice.

10. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

The costs are now above Carmina? Wow. Poor, poor euro

11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Bought two Viola Milano, one 3 fold ,one seven fold. Free shipping on orders over 150, so I'll let you guys know how it is.

Last edited: May 31, 2015

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I received my Dapper Classics order and can happily report the fit and quality seem to be very similar to my prior orders from Howard Yount. I can also report that the customer service was a refreshing change of pace as I actually received a response to my e-mail and the response was timely and friendly. In fact, I ordered one day before the sale and was very pleased to get the e-mail response that the sale price would apply to my order. Look forward to ordering from them again.

Here are pictures of the tan and mid-blue hopsack trousers. I'm definitely keeping the tan, but will likely return the mid-blue because the color is too pale for my tastes and wardrobe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Not a brown SC wearer? I think that would work well with those mid-blue as a pivot from the usual grey trousers that most would wear.

Anyways, thanks for the confirmation that the quality is on par with HY. I had assumed so since it's coming from the same well known maker but it's always nice for it to be verified.

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I had the exact same thought that the blue trousers would look great with a jacket in the tan to light brown range, but do not have any for Spring/Summer as I do not wear a jacket nearly as much when it's warm. For my purposes, I need something a little darker along the lines of the HY blue tweed trousers that I've found extremely versatile in the winter months (see below).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

As a follow-up, I forgot to mention specific cuts for HY and Dapper Classics. The Dapper Classics slim fit is pretty similar to the HY USA cut.