• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The $5,000 Wardrobe

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
Sounds like a lot of these wardrobes aren't inclusive of four seasons
Anyone want to take a stab at 5k wardrobe that includes work clothes (ties and suits), off clothes, both for four seasons (90-100 degree humid summers, five feet of snow in the winter)

If you can't get away with crossover clothes like Jil Sander trousers and have to wear conservative business dress:
(we'll say 100Y = $1 for simplicity and very wishful thinking
redface.gif
)

-2x suits, charcoal grey and navy - some store called Universal Language, Loro Piana zelander fabric - 59800Y each, so = $1200
-2 pairs shoes, black captoe and and fancier brown brogued shoe - C+J - $800
-5x cheap HK mtm shirts, $50 each - $250
-5x cheap to reasonably priced ties or ones off B+S, max $50 each, $250
-3X Isetan brand, etc pocket squares, $36
-cheap, simple black and brown dress belts with conservative silver buckles, you can get these from a Coach outlet store or something for $30 each

That's enough for proper work clothes, with maybe periodic additions over time, but a little over $2500 starts you off there, like for an internship or something not too fancy. Probably need to add one or two more shirts and a couple more shirts and ties if you're gonna really 9-5 it.

With the other $2500, you can get in at least 1 black leather jacket, a pair of nice white sneakers, a couple knits, a few pairs of jeans, a peacoat, and a couple buttondown shirts.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
If you can't get away with crossover clothes like Jil Sander trousers and have to wear conservative business dress:
(we'll say 100Y = $1 for simplicity and very wishful thinking
redface.gif
)

-2x suits, charcoal grey and navy - some store called Universal Language, Loro Piana zelander fabric - 59800Y each, so = $1200
-2 pairs shoes, black captoe and and fancier brown brogued shoe - C+J - $800
-5x cheap HK mtm shirts, $50 each - $250
-5x cheap to reasonably priced ties or ones off B+S, max $50 each, $250
-3X Isetan brand, etc pocket squares, $36
-cheap, simple black and brown dress belts with conservative silver buckles, you can get these from a Coach outlet store or something for $30 each

That's enough for proper work clothes, with maybe periodic additions over time, but a little over $2500 starts you off there, like for an internship or something not too fancy. Probably need to add one or two more shirts and a couple more shirts and ties if you're gonna really 9-5 it.

With the other $2500, you can get in at least 1 black leather jacket, a pair of nice white sneakers, a couple knits, a few pairs of jeans, a peacoat, and a couple buttondown shirts.

Honestly the idea is to have a SW&D wardrobe, give someone 5K and they have a decent "business" wardrobe no problem. Hell I have 4 TB suits, 1 HL, 1D&G, 1 Etro and one JS + a slew of slacks, sportscoats and dress shoes meaning I have a pretty killer bizness wardrobe, mostly by accident.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's true, but imagine you're one of the types to be 22 years old and not have any non-casual clothes and you're on the verge of working - without time to really shop it out for good deals, say you suddenly get a job and need stuff within a week - you could easily drop $5000 without having anything fit well. To get $5000 of dress clothes in 2011 dollars to fit well, be made of good materials and workmanship, and have the necessary parts of an outfit (possibly including a dress watch), spending $5K well still takes some skill, even if for just business clothes only. Hell, the Mr. Bathing Ape suits by United Arrows are actually a pretty good deal considering they come in at around $1100-1200 retail and are made of Dormeuil cloth, with very good handcrafting.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by about11oclock
at least Orvis leathers can be had for $10-$20.
Thanks for the heads up, your insight is appreciated (9)

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
That's true, but imagine you're one of the types to be 22 years old and not have any non-casual clothes and you're on the verge of working - without time to really shop it out for good deals, say you suddenly get a job and need stuff within a week - you could easily drop $5000 without having anything fit well. To get $5000 of dress clothes in 2011 dollars to fit well, be made of good materials and workmanship, and have the necessary parts of an outfit (possibly including a dress watch), spending $5K well still takes some skill, even if for just business clothes only. Hell, the Mr. Bathing Ape suits by United Arrows are actually a pretty good deal considering they come in at around $1100-1200 retail and are made of Dormeuil cloth, with very good handcrafting.
NYC during sales: 3 suits for $1800 (can get Dolce or whatever, grey, navy and charcoal). 2 belts for $100 7 shirts for $350 (Uniqlo or whatever) 2 pocket squares for $50 (white silk or linen) 10 ties for $500 (B&S) 3 pairs of shoes for $1200 (three C&J on B&S) 1 overcoat for $500 1 trench for $500 done buy 1 suit every year during sales. Replace shirts as needed. Buy one pair of shoes/year. Get another overcoat if you have some scratch. If you can wear sportcoat+slacks get some slim fit from B&S when you can (for $100) and SC when they're less than $500.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
NYC during sales:

3 suits for $1800 (can get Dolce or whatever, grey, navy and charcoal).
2 belts for $100
7 shirts for $350 (Uniqlo or whatever)
2 pocket squares for $50 (white silk or linen)
10 ties for $500 (B&S)
3 pairs of shoes for $1200 (three C&J on B&S)
1 overcoat for $500
1 trench for $500

done

buy 1 suit every year during sales. Replace shirts as needed. Buy one pair of shoes/year. Get another overcoat if you have some scratch. If you can wear sportcoat+slacks get some slim fit from B&S when you can (for $100) and SC when they're less than $500.

This is right. You don't need to be focusing on getting bespoke suits or anything right off the bat. Young professionals can look good in decent sale OTR suits, good shoes either bought on sale or discount, and a variety of shirts, ties, etc. You can splurge on one or two very nice shirts or something with leftover money.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
5K is not a lot for a complete summer/winter casual/formal wardrobe I don't think. That might be an easier way to think about it

I started a list and hit $5K just for SS stuff + staples, and it wasn't even that much ****

very true, but it IS enough to move outta moms house and the uniqlo line.

bijox

Reaction score
Fuuma you're the man. You're really helping the noobs like myself.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My forum-ass-kissing post:
2 ToJ Jackets (BCDR in red and Moto 2011 in gray (or another BCDR in gray))
2 TaT suits (navy & charcoal)
2 pairs of PS shoes and boots (something like rollins and ricards)
3 MTM HK shirts from modern/mytailor or the like
1 pair of APC New Standards
2 pair of Epaulet Chinos (gunmetal & either navy or british khaki)
3 pair of WvG after-dinner shirts (blueberry, grape & candied apple... and maybe the spinach, damn you! I love these shirts, at least in pics...)
1 pair of Bates Fast Lane boots in Red
1 pair of POCs (plain old chucks)
Assorted AA t-shirts, hoodie, underwear & socks.

That's pretty darned close to $5k.

For "winter", I'd pick up some cashmere v-necks.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
very true, but it IS enough to move outta moms house and the uniqlo line.
Lol I am not sure about that. Actually, yea in retrospect I don't think any item of clothing I bought from Uniqlo has actually fit perfectly OTR. I want to try this. If I had to start from scratch and rebuild for my current needs.... Underwear/socks: $200 Assorted neck tees: $200 (3) Plain button ups: $200 (3) non plain button ups: $300 (3) flat front chinos: $200 1 pair raw jeans: $150 (2) pair shorts: $50 (4)sweaters: $400 (2) pair hightops: $300 (2) pair cheap low tops: $100 1 pair boots: $300 (2) pair dress/casual shoes: $600 One interview suit + one pair of dress shoes: $400 (1) ToJ bomber: $700? (1) trench: $500 $400 left to spare I think, all I would need

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of paying for names going on in the OP. One can build a good wardrobe for much less than $ 5000 USD, just by avoiding those designer luxury brands.

Stupid article anyway, ONE dress shirt while having three ties and two suits. Hardly practical.

Sent from Tapatalk.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if someone listed julius stuff you'd have 5 items

Ascent

Reaction score
Lane I would like to see you attempt this, think it would be interesting to see if you could do it.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its very well possible if you buy from yahoo auction/sufu, etc I know the general prices things are on the secondary market and its similar to some of the stuff people listed already, price wise.

anyways here is is, strictly julius from secondary market (def not retail)

5 twist/double layer shirts black x 2, plaster, bordeaux, blue gray $150 x 4 (750)
1 pair of black combat boots $500
Black waxed twist denim $300
black cotton twill twist pants $250
1 leather jacket $1000-$1300
1 coat $600
3 knits/drape cardigan $400 x 3 $1200

$100 for undies and socks lol

you are pretty restricted, but if you get lucky and get a cheaper leather or cheaper knit/coat you get more leeway I guess. However, this style is quite expensive and therefore restricting. Especially if you want a nice leather, coat, or more expensive boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads