1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The 3-Piece Thred

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by heavyd, Sep 14, 2007.

1. OxxfordSJLINY

OxxfordSJLINY Senior member

Coram, New York, United States of America, 11767
    I like the vest with the lapel.

Me, too. The vest without the lapel seems so plain without the lapel.

2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Ahh very nice the JWBL Stave suit in oak...nice choice!
    I don't know...the tailoring is a bit tight...you think it makes him look a little wooden?

3. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Perhaps the great unpleasantness in the financial markets and the resurgance in the 3 piece are perfectly aligned to cause a greater shift towards serious professional dressing for the serious professionals who will be left.

4. EuropeanInterloper Redux

EuropeanInterloper Redux Well-Known Member

And the lapels are notch? Peak?
    Bizarre questions, I'm sure, but I haven't had a chance to see examples of what is considered classical.

5. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Zara has a gray/black three piece out for Winter this year as well. No lapel. I'm not a fan of the color but for the price it can't be beat for an entry level 3-piece.

6. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

BTW - I'm watching Charade and two-thirds of the men are rocking great three-piece suits.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Perhaps the great unpleasantness in the financial markets and the resurgance in the 3 piece are perfectly aligned to cause a greater shift towards serious professional dressing for the serious professionals who will be left.

Three pieces were popular in the Great Depression, weren't they? [​IMG]

Maybe they let guys stay warm without the expense of having to turn the heating on? [​IMG]

8. yo!

yo! Senior member

[​IMG]
    The problem here is the pants. Low rise doesn't always look good, and especially in this case it looks terrible when combined with the jacket.

9. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

The problem here is the pants.

Low rise doesn't always look good, and especially in this case it looks terrible when combined with the jacket.

I agree, I think you've hit on it. Something does look a little funny and when I look at the pants that's what it is, they're too low for the height of the jacket.

10. Rebel_5

Rebel_5 Well-Known Member

And the lapels are notch? Peak?
    Bizarre questions, I'm sure, but I haven't had a chance to see examples of what is considered classical.

On the Brroks Brothers suits pictured? Notch. I believe that's standard on SB vests. On a DB vest, such as Holdfast's lapels can be peak or shawl, I think. And the one HF posts looks great as a city suit.

11. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I think peak lapels on a vest would be a bit much.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

On the Brroks Brothers suits pictured? Notch. I believe that's standard on SB vests. On a DB vest, such as Holdfast's lapels can be peak or shawl, I think. And the one HF posts looks great as a city suit.

Mine has peak lapels on it. Shawl is probably more traditional, but I like the peaks. Since they're hidden by the jacket lots of the time, I say have whatever style you want.

Pic of the whole suit below; you can't see the lapels fully though.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Rebel_5

Rebel_5 Well-Known Member

I'm very fond of this suit. Stunning, and exquisit style.

As a related question: would it be possible for a good tailor to remove the lapels on a RTW vest?
    I love three of the BB suits, the regent and maidson grey stripes and the Madison navy flannel chalk stripe. If not, I might look at getting something similar through their Select or MTM.

Mine has peak lapels on it. Shawl is probably more traditional, but I like the peaks. Since they're hidden by the jacket lots of the time, I say have whatever style you want.

Pic of the whole suit below; you can't see the lapels fully though.

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Check out this shot of Supreme Metrosexual David Beckham....daring and fashion-forward or a rare misstep?

[​IMG]

15. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Check out this shot of Supreme Metrosexual David Beckham....daring and fashion-forward or a rare misstep?

[​IMG]

hmmm, I'm usually a DB defender, but not in this case.

The pattern is horrendous, the tie doesn't match ANYTHING, the sleeves are too long, and the shoulders are too wide.

Other than that, it's GREAT!! [​IMG]

16. HatMagnet

HatMagnet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Perhaps he lost a bet and had to wear it in public? [​IMG]

17. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

the tie doesn't match ANYTHING

In his defense, the tie matches the...err...buttons.

18. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

^Oh my... that said- I went in for the final fitting on my new gray flannel, DB, 3-piece today. The ground is about the same shade as that gray above, Barberis cloth, around 10oz.

Pics soon.

19. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Roger Sterling on Mad Men rocks some beautiful 3-piece suits. [​IMG]
    +1 What colour is this? Very dark grey? Or black? On the screen it often looks very close to black, especially the waistcoat. It looks like it has faint wide stripes too, what would you call this type of stripes?

20. AvariceBespoke

AvariceBespoke Senior member