• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finally I feel well enough to go out.
IMG_8973.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
D-Neo here....realize that he might not make everyone happy but he speaks his real opinion lol.

1. Lots of people me NOT included. Marbled burgundy, cherry....if I'm going for burgundy I want burgundy. I want cool/casual to BE cool casual. How about marbled....blue? Gray? I want it to be clear.

2. Knee-jerk reaction out of the gate from me was ick, looks like some garbage Meermin would put out in Argentinian undisclosed shell scraps. Jury is still out tho - I think this could work, I have to see how the examples turn out.

3. The price is insane. Just insane. The inflation is out of control. If I was paying those kinds of prices, shell or not it would be for PNW or Japanese. Sorry :(

4. I got a marbled black Landon and I like it, don't love it. Again, having tried PNW it's hard to go back to AE. The arch & support of PNW makes AE feel like you're walking on marshmallows.

5. I don't understand the choice of those stores. Newbury St? Screw that. Interesting with Short hills, if I was still doing lots of traveling in that area I would definitely swing by that store. Didn't realize shia was from there too, that got my attention. I always went out there primarily for Paramus but Short Hills was a 2nd stop.
Ahhhh Neo. Always the quality post.
I hate the Randolph on so many levels essentially because while Neo is no last's *****, the Randolph was one of the rare few I could not make work in any size. I hated it so much that in my "optimal size" of 7D, I passed on a brand new burgundy shell pair on amazon once for $240 without a second thought. The Randolph was the one that made me jump over to Alden (with the Aberdeen). I have a love hate relationship with the GS loafer. The break-in is SO brutal for me but it does work out after a zillion wears. Between the GS loafer and the Patriot that's a tough call, not sure which I'd take. The Palm Beach was good. I actually wear my AE Nomad Penny quite often which still shocks me because the quality is so crappy but the 42N in my normal size just works so well.

Poron = bad. Very bad. Can't live with it, can't kill it.
Funny thing, Randolph isn’t a great fit for me either, but at least the ones I have are built well.

I haven’t really settled into the GS loafers. They’re ok, but not great.

The Indy line was fantastic. There’s a clear difference between my Palm Beaches and my Achesons.

I’d say Poron could eat a big D, but I think it’s more demeaning and appropriate to say Poron can go eat itself.
Well aren't you a bundle of sunshine, Neo. Welcome back. I love how the Trunk Shows bring out people who were hibernating. Of course you don't like marbled burgundy, because I like it a lot.

I'm also experimenting with new boot brands, but the PNW options are probably more than I need. I get very good support from Parkhurst, Alden, Caswell, GS or even the Higgins.

@madhat I agree. Once you go black marbled, it's hard to be more excited about other colors. My only regret is ordering only one pair.
I think one pair of PNW is plenty for a work boot. I’d never daily them.

I could do for at least one pair black marbled…that’s actually the only marbled I ever wanted…the burgundy pair I have is fine, but they squeak like like a $5/hr motel’s bed. My wife talked me out of AE black marbled and steered me towards Carmina. I ordered a whole cut boot. They damaged it and then were out of material. 😞
I want to stress some things that are often overlooked....at least by a moron like me.

1. If you have high arches like myself or profila, chances are the 55 or 4811/67 lasts won't have much break-in at all. The horror stories are from flat footed people. This will feel like the missing link you needed but never knew about.

2. Yes the boots get heavy. Yes 2x GS. But it really isn't that noticeable after you get used to it. The harder part is going back to the others.

3. This is important. You don't have to get 8oz ski boot wrought iron. You can get cxl, bison, waxed flesh reverse cxl. The "heritage" horween materials should be no problem. Even my toughest pair - the Wesco Axe Breaker in horsehide cxl, didn't require a lengthy break-in.

Tldr - pnw is good stuff. Try em, you won't regret it. Except for the wait times. You want a Mr. Lou you'll probably get it when the cybertruck can make it across the country in one charge.
I’m getting closer to getting a pair for work boots. HMs are ok, but them and the Bowery with their squishy footbeds don’t do it for a long day. The GS isn’t a good enough fit. When I’ve got some free money I’ll probably give them a try. Probably not one of those support high shafted ones though since we’re in the Phoenix area now!!
If you want to put together a Styleforum petition to submit with AE, you can add my name. I need some new Patriots.
Tempting, but they’d never “build em like they used to”, so I’d rather not set myself up for disappointment. Plus, they probably “lost” the lasts and patterns. 🙄

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh Neo. Always the quality post.

Funny thing, Randolph isn’t a great fit for me either, but at least the ones I have are built well.

I haven’t really settled into the GS loafers. They’re ok, but not great.

The Indy line was fantastic. There’s a clear difference between my Palm Beaches and my Achesons.

I’d say Poron could eat a big D, but I think it’s more demeaning and appropriate to say Poron can go eat itself.

I think one pair of PNW is plenty for a work boot. I’d never daily them.

I could do for at least one pair black marbled…that’s actually the only marbled I ever wanted…the burgundy pair I have is fine, but they squeak like like a $5/hr motel’s bed. My wife talked me out of AE black marbled and steered me towards Carmina. I ordered a whole cut boot. They damaged it and then were out of material. 😞

I’m getting closer to getting a pair for work boots. HMs are ok, but them and the Bowery with their squishy footbeds don’t do it for a long day. The GS isn’t a good enough fit. When I’ve got some free money I’ll probably give them a try. Probably not one of those support high shafted ones though since we’re in the Phoenix area now!!

Tempting, but they’d never “build em like they used to”, so I’d rather not set myself up for disappointment. Plus, they probably “lost” the lasts and patterns. 🙄

So you should absolutely absolutely go for a PNW boot. But take my warnings seriously- unless you get a flat arch, you will suffer in this thing for a while. And coming from a Bowery (lol) I would NOT get seidel work leather anything. Go for cxl or waxed flesh.

I guarantee you when broken in they'll be better than everything else.

I will say I would not recommend Wesco - not the wait time thing but they're surprisingly small and narrow, you won't like them.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Neo1, personally, the brand I'm most interested in (outside of AE and Alden) for boots is now Parkhurst. They seem to be doing the most interesting leather options for what I look for with plain toes. The last is also very well designed. The support as good as my Aldens or GS, and they are forgiving on my toes. One other brand I would like to try is Truman.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just watch out for exotics. They're 3.7 headaches lolol

A friend of mine ordered a pair of hippo Jodhpur boots last summer... still hasn't gotten them yet. They're apparently made, and they tried shipping them once, but it seems like they goofed up the CITES paperwork or whatever. I wouldn't trust Carmina to ship anything exotic.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you finally received your exotics, the end result was profound.
Absolutely beautiful.

Please Post a photo of them on this AE thread to show these women how to ride a nasty BULL…

You arent wrong they are truly spectacular. I would buy them over there and just throw em in my luggage though :p

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petric7747