• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You also have to remember they told us last year that they would be increasing the price of the trunk show offerings specifically due to increased costs of the less common shells as well as increased production costs. It isn’t like this is some run of 20 pairs from Alden. There are probably hundreds of pairs being made in a bunch of different styles, materials, soles, welts, etc.
Well yea Alden makes fewer and all of their stuff is made here. If anything their production cost would be higher for labor and less factory scaling. I’m not doubting the increase in the shell, simply stating they are not equal on quality but essentially the same price on shell. Looking at other materials, AE is much cheaper than Alden and priced where I think they should be. And I think Alden is a little high on nonshell offerings. Just observing oddities in the market, not including anything from UK/EU.
I have seen these in person at the factory. They look *so* good.

View attachment 2203175
I don’t think they look bad, but the Randolph is a full strap. This shoe is totally different. For this style and look I prefer grant stone loafer. AE’s old patriot was awesome. Probably their best loafer ever. Except the Palm beach Indy pairs. Those were awesome IMO. I also do not like poron. I don’t have any pairs left that have it.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
change in business plan?
I all ways thought of them as my value target. Not as expensive as the others (price wise it’s many tiers dwn frm top) but very well made.

Moving away from this niche? To what “future”? Why? How did this change come to management? Wasnt the long pattern what they need?

I don't think it's what AE wants, but they have no other choice. They've tried for years to keep their prices low, but if they continue to do so, they are going to have to cut even more corners on their product. All this currency creation over the last few years plus supply issues is to blame.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a hell of a nice offering this time around. Lots and lots of good options. The only question is, what welt and sole options will be available. Perhaps they are not decided yet. My opinions:

1. I can't really tell the difference between marbled burgundy vs antique cherry. I think a lot of people will love this color.

2. Not feeling the printed natural, but that's awesome that they are also offering the regular natural.

3. Not sure if spending another $900 is realistic for me this time around, as I've already bought a bunch of boots over the last year. Having said that, I definitely wouldn't mind adding a green or blue Higgins. Green, blue and natural shell are still my favorites.

4. I was secretly hoping marbled black would return, but this is still an awesome trunk show.

5. A little surprised and sad to see that there is no TS event at Costa Mesa. :(

D-Neo here....realize that he might not make everyone happy but he speaks his real opinion lol.

1. Lots of people me NOT included. Marbled burgundy, cherry....if I'm going for burgundy I want burgundy. I want cool/casual to BE cool casual. How about marbled....blue? Gray? I want it to be clear.

2. Knee-jerk reaction out of the gate from me was ick, looks like some garbage Meermin would put out in Argentinian undisclosed shell scraps. Jury is still out tho - I think this could work, I have to see how the examples turn out.

3. The price is insane. Just insane. The inflation is out of control. If I was paying those kinds of prices, shell or not it would be for PNW or Japanese. Sorry :(

4. I got a marbled black Landon and I like it, don't love it. Again, having tried PNW it's hard to go back to AE. The arch & support of PNW makes AE feel like you're walking on marshmallows.

5. I don't understand the choice of those stores. Newbury St? Screw that. Interesting with Short hills, if I was still doing lots of traveling in that area I would definitely swing by that store. Didn't realize shia was from there too, that got my attention. I always went out there primarily for Paramus but Short Hills was a 2nd stop.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well yea Alden makes fewer and all of their stuff is made here. If anything their production cost would be higher for labor and less factory scaling. I’m not doubting the increase in the shell, simply stating they are not equal on quality but essentially the same price on shell. Looking at other materials, AE is much cheaper than Alden and priced where I think they should be. And I think Alden is a little high on nonshell offerings. Just observing oddities in the market, not including anything from UK/EU.

I don’t think they look bad, but the Randolph is a full strap. This shoe is totally different. For this style and look I prefer grant stone loafer. AE’s old patriot was awesome. Probably their best loafer ever. Except the Palm beach Indy pairs. Those were awesome IMO. I also do not like poron. I don’t have any pairs left that have it.

I hate the Randolph on so many levels essentially because while Neo is no last's *****, the Randolph was one of the rare few I could not make work in any size. I hated it so much that in my "optimal size" of 7D, I passed on a brand new burgundy shell pair on amazon once for $240 without a second thought. The Randolph was the one that made me jump over to Alden (with the Aberdeen). I have a love hate relationship with the GS loafer. The break-in is SO brutal for me but it does work out after a zillion wears. Between the GS loafer and the Patriot that's a tough call, not sure which I'd take. The Palm Beach was good. I actually wear my AE Nomad Penny quite often which still shocks me because the quality is so crappy but the 42N in my normal size just works so well.

Poron = bad. Very bad. Can't live with it, can't kill it.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“...You also have to remember they told us last year that they would be increasing the price of the trunk show offerings specifically due to increased costs of the less common shells as well as increased production costs. It isn’t like this is some run of 20 pairs from Alden. There are probably hundreds of pairs being made in a bunch of different styles, materials, soles, welts, etc...."
🎼 What’s it all about 🎶 Alfie 🎵 ?
I cant see a change from “what was working”...

It clearly *wasn't* working though. I would say that it was a "increase the price by $100 per pair as to not lose money" as opposed to "no trunk show at all".

If you look at the normal custom made program, it is a $100 markup, minimum per pair. A pair of custom program shell Strands on JR soles is $925. During the trunk show, you could save yourself $75.

I dislike the price of shell cordovan as much as the next person. I am not not trying to a an AE meatrider, but companies are not in the business of running purposefully unprofitable products. The trunk show is in no way shape or form a loss leader either.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The printed natural is great you bite your tongue. I agree that it only makes sense on a brogueless design to highlight the texture. That PA might happen if I can get it with a split welt and double JR. I do not like the chandler (or chukkas really) so thats out. The higgins doesn't fit me well unfortunately also out. Question is can I handle the price. Might need to revisit my shoe lineup and see if I part ways with some before pulling the trigger.

I could probably use a belt in brown. As for the apple watch bands I think it is pretty cool. I won't be getting one but it is more about how I use the watch. I keep the Nike velcro on it because it is the easiest to adjust during a workout and doesn't bother me like rubber ones. When I want to dress it up I have the milanese band but I rarely ever use it. If it calls for it, I pull out one of my TAG watches. I don't consider any watch with a screen to be "nice," but I do find it practical for what I need day to day.

When I saw the printed natural it made me think of one thing:

Velcro strap park ave where the strap is removable and can be used as an apple watch band. Cannot believe they didn't try this - AE, you missed the boat on this one!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well aren't you a bundle of sunshine, Neo. Welcome back. I love how the Trunk Shows bring out people who were hibernating. Of course you don't like marbled burgundy, because I like it a lot.

I'm also experimenting with new boot brands, but the PNW options are probably more than I need. I get very good support from Parkhurst, Alden, Caswell, GS or even the Higgins.

@madhat I agree. Once you go black marbled, it's hard to be more excited about other colors. My only regret is ordering only one pair.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate the Randolph on so many levels essentially because while Neo is no last's *****, the Randolph was one of the rare few I could not make work in any size. I hated it so much that in my "optimal size" of 7D, I passed on a brand new burgundy shell pair on amazon once for $240 without a second thought. The Randolph was the one that made me jump over to Alden (with the Aberdeen). I have a love hate relationship with the GS loafer. The break-in is SO brutal for me but it does work out after a zillion wears. Between the GS loafer and the Patriot that's a tough call, not sure which I'd take. The Palm Beach was good. I actually wear my AE Nomad Penny quite often which still shocks me because the quality is so crappy but the 42N in my normal size just works so well.

Poron = bad. Very bad. Can't live with it, can't kill it.
Hah well the Randolph also did not work for me I always had heel slip but I did like the look. As you say the GS pairs did require some breakin but I love them now.
It clearly *wasn't* working though. I would say that it was a "increase the price by $100 per pair as to not lose money" as opposed to "no trunk show at all".

If you look at the normal custom made program, it is a $100 markup, minimum per pair. A pair of custom program shell Strands on JR soles is $925. During the trunk show, you could save yourself $75.

I dislike the price of shell cordovan as much as the next person. I am not not trying to a an AE meatrider, but companies are not in the business of running purposefully unprofitable products. The trunk show is in no way shape or form a loss leader either.
Well I’m not really hating on TS specifically, their standard shell is $850. It’s just high. Either Alden is taking a bath on shell or AE wanted great margins. Not a crime, but it is interesting that their nonshell is so much cheaper. DR labor certainly a factor there I’d wager.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well aren't you a bundle of sunshine, Neo. Welcome back. I love how the Trunk Shows bring out people who were hibernating. Of course you don't like marbled burgundy, because I like it a lot.

I'm also experimenting with new boot brands, but the PNW options are probably more than I need. I get very good support from Parkhurst, Alden, Caswell, GS or even the Higgins.

@madhat I agree. Once you go black marbled, it's hard to be more excited about other colors. My only regret is ordering only one pair.

I want to stress some things that are often overlooked....at least by a moron like me.

1. If you have high arches like myself or profila, chances are the 55 or 4811/67 lasts won't have much break-in at all. The horror stories are from flat footed people. This will feel like the missing link you needed but never knew about.

2. Yes the boots get heavy. Yes 2x GS. But it really isn't that noticeable after you get used to it. The harder part is going back to the others.

3. This is important. You don't have to get 8oz ski boot wrought iron. You can get cxl, bison, waxed flesh reverse cxl. The "heritage" horween materials should be no problem. Even my toughest pair - the Wesco Axe Breaker in horsehide cxl, didn't require a lengthy break-in.

Tldr - pnw is good stuff. Try em, you won't regret it. Except for the wait times. You want a Mr. Lou you'll probably get it when the cybertruck can make it across the country in one charge.

KarlHungus

Reaction score
I didn't know the Higgins didn't work for you. I will say that I've experienced quite a large variation in size with the Higgins, specifically at the instep and ankle area. Some are tighter and some are way looser. Higgins is probably the only thing I would consider this time because I don't own any Higgins in shell. I wonder if Strand King is lurking and if he'll order the printed natural.

FYI, prices are: $950 boots, $900 dress shoes, $850 sneakers.
$850 for shell sneakers? Geez…I thought they were like $595 before the recent price hikes, or am I totally off base? :puzzled:

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I love the Randolph and more of them but that half-strap sucks my webbed toes!!
At least it's not a beefroll. Beefrolls suсk my beef roll.

Oh wait, I have blue suede Sea Island loafers. I like them, except for the beefroll. And the goofy beefroll stitching.

I can't imagine why they would truncate the strap. Maybe it wastes too much leather? I think the new heel piece is also a step down, aesthetically. They should not have re-used the Randolph name. Run, run Randolph, Rudolph ain't too far behind.

I would love to get the McBoot in green. It would fit my style, and it looks sharp. But it's definitely not in my budget. Especially after Monday night, when I forfeited a potential $4000 in ticket resale profit, and decided to go to the Celtics game instead of selling the tickets. Those green McBoots would look great on Causeway Street.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$850 for shell sneakers? Geez…I thought they were like $595 before the recent price hikes, or am I totally off base? :puzzled:

Oh you know, I rechecked the FB page and I was wrong on sneakers (and dress shoes). It should be: $950 boots, $850 dress shoes, $750 sneakers. Apologies to everyone.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Na. You’re right.

@M2511

I don’t think that Alden is taking a bath. Remember, most of Alden’s shell offerings are black or color 8. I’m going to assume those two are the cheapest colors of shell. Marbled burgundy or printed natural could be a strong premium over the black/8 due to the extra processing it takes as well as the significantly lower volumes. Navy and green as well are more expensive as well.

I’m going to see if I can’t dig up the post, but they basically said that they were break even/lose money on all of the limited trunk show colors after all of the fallout they experienced in 2022.

It probably wasn’t so bad when the trunk shows were only in person or over the phone, limited to the people who were “in the know” or hardcore AE fans. Nowadays you have the trunk shows that are online accessible and much more strongly advertised. I would guess that trunk show participation last year was much much higher than it was in 2019. It is easier for Caleres to stomach a trunk show that doesn’t make money and steals valuable factory time when it is only 300 pairs instead of 1000 pairs.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least it's not a beefroll. Beefrolls suсk my beef roll.

Oh wait, I have blue suede Sea Island loafers. I like them, except for the beefroll. And the goofy beefroll stitching.

I can't imagine why they would truncate the strap. Maybe it wastes too much leather? I think the new heel piece is also a step down, aesthetically. They should not have re-used the Randolph name. Run, run Randolph, Rudolph ain't too far behind.

I would love to get the McBoot in green. It would fit my style, and it looks sharp. But it's definitely not in my budget. Especially after Monday night, when I forfeited a potential $4000 in ticket resale profit, and decided to go to the Celtics game instead of selling the tickets. Those green McBoots would look great on Causeway Street.

At least it isn’t like you spent $4k on those tickets.

We are going to see how this shakes up for me. I desperately want the marbled burgundy belt to match my boots, wallet, and watch strap. I also want 2 more pair in the marbled burgundy, but I have too many recent expenses.

An ER visit this week (with another probably to come), the down payment on my new house (and closing costs) next week, an expensive as hell wedding next month that I already paid for but may not attend, my 911 blowing up on me, moving expenses, and new necessities for the house... It would be the smart choice to just get a belt...

Garrister

Reaction score
If they’d brought back the Real Patriot with leather sole, cork foot bed, etc, I’d be all over that in suede, CXL, even that museum calf for my work shoe. I was wearing my brown shell pair the other day and my wife asked why I didn’t just buy another pair of them to be my work shoe. I’m not buying a $900 AE with poron and an unknown last to be my work shoe though.
If you want to put together a Styleforum petition to submit with AE, you can add my name. I need some new Patriots.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenerPrice