• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, that hasn't been my experience. I have 2 from 2023 as well one boot one blucher and both were under $1k. I'm not saying it doesn't exist but that hasn't been my reality. I don't really mind a price for shell it is what it is, I've been trending toward more suede of late. What throws me is AE matching Alden price.

You also have to remember they told us last year that they would be increasing the price of the trunk show offerings specifically due to increased costs of the less common shells as well as increased production costs. It isn’t like this is some run of 20 pairs from Alden. There are probably hundreds of pairs being made in a bunch of different styles, materials, soles, welts, etc.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NO! That’s the Randolph Bit.

View attachment 2203173

I have seen these in person at the factory. They look *so* good.

IMG_4846.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a hell of a nice offering this time around. Lots and lots of good options. The only question is, what welt and sole options will be available. Perhaps they are not decided yet. My opinions:

1. I can't really tell the difference between marbled burgundy vs antique cherry. I think a lot of people will love this color.

2. Not feeling the printed natural, but that's awesome that they are also offering the regular natural.

3. Not sure if spending another $900 is realistic for me this time around, as I've already bought a bunch of boots over the last year. Having said that, I definitely wouldn't mind adding a green or blue Higgins. Green, blue and natural shell are still my favorites.

4. I was secretly hoping marbled black would return, but this is still an awesome trunk show.

5. A little surprised and sad to see that there is no TS event at Costa Mesa. :(
Black marbled is about the only shell I’d ever consider at this point. Suede or bison for me.
Plus whatever that shoe is, it isn't a Randolph. If they wanted to make that shoe they should have brought back the Patriot (RIP).
Yeah…much disappoint.
I was looking for a new work shoe (like workshop/house work not office) to replace my maritimes. Settled on Tecovas bison loafers. Ok, but not a patriot or Alden van LHS. If they’d brought back the Real Patriot with leather sole, cork foot bed, etc, I’d be all over that in suede, CXL, even that museum calf for my work shoe. I was wearing my brown shell pair the other day and my wife asked why I didn’t just buy another pair of them to be my work shoe. I’m not buying a $900 AE with poron and an unknown last to be my work shoe though.
I have seen these in person at the factory. They look *so* good.

View attachment 2203175
In all for machine stitch, but I do not care for the machine stitch that’s raised like hand sewn. Give me flat machine stitch like basic Indy boots, and I’m ecstatic.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clearing the palate with some “real” Randolphs that I picked up on eBay for 79.79 shipped. Arrived this morning.

They must’ve been only worn once.

The back looked a little bowed, so I ironed them under a wet washcloth to set them right.

Maiden voyage.

IMG_4475.jpeg
IMG_4476.jpeg
IMG_4481.jpeg

chrlsful

Reaction score
You also have to remember they told us last year that they would be increasing the price of the trunk show offerings specifically due to increased costs of the less common shells as well as increased production costs. It isn’t like this is some run of 20 pairs from Alden. There are probably hundreds of pairs being made in a bunch of different styles, materials, soles, welts, etc.
change in business plan?
I all ways thought of them as my value target. Not as expensive as the others (price wise it’s many tiers dwn frm top) but very well made.

Moving away from this niche? To what “future”? Why? How did this change come to management? Wasnt the long pattern what they need?

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They’re also pre-defraying the cost of all the pairs that they’re going to screw up.

IMG_4486.jpeg

chrlsful

Reaction score
“...You also have to remember they told us last year that they would be increasing the price of the trunk show offerings specifically due to increased costs of the less common shells as well as increased production costs. It isn’t like this is some run of 20 pairs from Alden. There are probably hundreds of pairs being made in a bunch of different styles, materials, soles, welts, etc...."
🎼 What’s it all about 🎶 Alfie 🎵 ?
I cant see a change from “what was working”...

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bathmateindia