• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I feel like they might just phase out that entire style of boot for a while. I suspect that most people who want moc-toe boots either end up in something from the workwear variety (Red Wing, etc) or others just spring for the Indy.

I'd be curious to know the sale numbers on the Freeport and Carter vs the Higgins. The Freeport was a nice boot (aside from the tongue thing). The Carter was nice looking as well. I just wonder if they didn't sell well compared to the Higgins.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tex-Mex for dinner —-

garbage on the feet and garbage on the wrist -

IMG_1827.jpeg
IMG_1831.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AE under Caleres has deeper pockets for funding product development (it’s not trivial to design a whole new pattern), so they’re trying stuff to see what works, and be “innovative”. Incidentally, this isn’t unlike what AE did under second gen Allen leadership in the 70’s… though they didn’t have the pockets for it back then and that led to the financial crisis they faced. A crisis they led to Stollenwerk executing a leveraged buyout of the Allen’s, and a complete refocusing of the company in the 80’s.

Some of the stuff they’re doing right now is interesting. Some of their stuff isn’t for me. I like, and have a pretty neat order in for the custom shop - we’ll see if my materials and color combo matching is genius or awful (I may have created the worst captoe spectators in history). Some of their strategy is clearly designed to feed the whole collector thing, because stuff like these are clearly meant for weirdos like me:

View attachment 2200295

They’re also doing the whole “limited return” thing, where models like the Broadstreet and the MacNeil are back for a run, then disappear. Interestingly, they’re making sure that they “come back” on the same last using the same pattern. Which says they’re gonna keep doing this as a way of feeding just enough into the market. Which is smart, it creates “false” scarcity for models that have a market, but don’t support long production runs. It’s basically a revision of the WebGems concept, but with stuff they know will sell.

And it works: they’ve gotten me to buy a bunch of shoes this way… and I’m bummed by some of the models I missed, like the carbon and white BroadStreets. As a business person, I absolutely get why they’re doing this and, frankly, they do need to play with the lineup. And, looking back at the catalogs, they’ve always done a lot more lineup shuffling and changes over the years than other “trad” dress shoe companies (even if not to the extent they are now).

My only big complaint with Caleres era AE is the “Dress Sneakers”. They aren’t the only ones doing them, but 95% of the ones I see are AE l; I feel like they’ve done more to legitimize the trend than anyone else. I don’t have a problem with them making sneakers. But I don’t like or get the mullet shoes.
I have no issue with Caleres trying new things, developing new styles, or making money doing so. It is just that they come out with a winning style, only to kill it in a year, for something else that may, or may not, be better. The whole "Dress sneaker" thing is another issue and I won't even get started on it. It doesn't really matter what I, or others who have worn AE proudly for 50+ yrs think, the parent company is taking them in a direction that we may not like, but then again, we are not buying as many shoes/boots as we once did.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These arrived this morning. It's the Allen boot from Parkhurst in spruce kudu. These are unlined boots, making them good for warmer weather. I actually reached out to Rancourt to see if they still had this leather, but they no longer have it. Parkhurst is making a very nice alternative to AE and Rancourt. I wish AE would offer the Higgins in this leather. I imagine it could be a hit. The laces shown here are not what came with the boot and are Alden laces provided by audog. Had to change them because they were 47 inches (too short).
IMG_9688 copy.JPG

unnamed.jpeg

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These arrived this morning. It's the Allen boot from Parkhurst in spruce kudu. These are unlined boots, making them good for warmer weather. I actually reached out to Rancourt to see if they still had this leather, but they no longer have it. Parkhurst is making a very nice alternative to AE and Rancourt. I wish AE would offer the Higgins in this leather. I imagine it could be a hit. The laces shown here are not what came with the boot and are Alden laces provided by audog. Had to change them because they were 47 inches (too short).
View attachment 2200625

View attachment 2200627
Gorgeous color. Dare I say better than the Grant Stone?

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2200625

View attachment 2200627
Though not the same material, these have visually similar elements to @polojock615 ’s reverse Higgins.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strwberryswitchbladee