• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is how weird my eyesight is. Just by putting on green socks, my pants and shoes are now green.
IMG_8334.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess what has me surprised is that the Hampton last feels smaller to me than the 65. I only had one pair on the last, but it was pushing down on my big toe in a way that the 65 does not. I know it's one of Alden's most cozy lasts, so I'm surprised you can so easily get it to work but not the 65. The Hampton does have more instep room though.

While I admire that you think logically and practically, you're not really in a place where people with 40 shoes (like myself), think practically. It just looks cool is my best argument for reverse shell.

LOL. True story.

And it does look cool, I must admit. It does look cool. It's a nice looking material.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying it isn't a cool idea, but.........

Doesn't the "suede side" of shell defeat the purpose of using shell?

Like shell is great because it is shiny, invulnerable to anything but deep gouges, and very highly water resistant. Wouldn't the suede side of it kinda.........have none of these features but you still have to pay the expensive price?
This is the reason for inverse-dyed shell. You get the reverse effect with the normal side out.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying it isn't a cool idea, but.........

Doesn't the "suede side" of shell defeat the purpose of using shell?

Like shell is great because it is shiny, invulnerable to anything but deep gouges, and very highly water resistant. Wouldn't the suede side of it kinda.........have none of these features but you still have to pay the expensive price?
Yeah, as a "function over form" kind of guy, that's been the way I look at reverse shell products. They look kind of cool, if that's the look you're going for. I hope people go for it, because more variety is awesome. I just see it as, if I'm paying for shell, I want to get the benefits of shell. If you want to pay for shell, but not get those same benefits in exchange for rarity, have at it. I just don't want to play in that target market. Especially when the price of AE shell is getting ready to make the leap into 4-figure territory.

In the meanwhile, I'll start a new week in some old, wrinkly, brown CXL Higgins Mill boots from the first release. This is a look that I don't think others are really clamoring for. And, with a full-sun shot at 9:00 A.M., probably not a photo choice that others would have made, either. Oh well.

IMG_7534.jpg

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never dialed in my fit for the Mac, so unfortunately don't own a pair. Like others, I'm still holding out hope for shell version. In the meantime... some other A gunboats (and casual walnut AE belt) as I attempt to wear a few that don't see much light these days.

IMG_6095.jpeg

IMG_6098.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wish I owned these or a chukka version. Seem much easier to pair than other blues or greys that I've owned by AE.
The boot (Hamilton) version (Frosty Ave) is nice, but I couldn't see having both, and I always have too many boots vs. shoes. They seem to have never brought these (Tinsel Ave) back; whereas I have seen Frosty Ave a few years after.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, as a "function over form" kind of guy, that's been the way I look at reverse shell products. They look kind of cool, if that's the look you're going for. I hope people go for it, because more variety is awesome. I just see it as, if I'm paying for shell, I want to get the benefits of shell. If you want to pay for shell, but not get those same benefits in exchange for rarity, have at it. I just don't want to play in that target market. Especially when the price of AE shell is getting ready to make the leap into 4-figure territory.

In the meanwhile, I'll start a new week in some old, wrinkly, brown CXL Higgins Mill boots from the first release. This is a look that I don't think others are really clamoring for. And, with a full-sun shot at 9:00 A.M., probably not a photo choice that others would have made, either. Oh well.

View attachment 2139051

Yeah, I like the variety/novelty, but the problem is: I want shell to give me all its advantages, not none of them.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never dialed in my fit for the Mac, so unfortunately don't own a pair. Like others, I'm still holding out hope for shell version. In the meantime... some other A gunboats (and casual walnut AE belt) as I attempt to wear a few that don't see much light these days.

The Shoe Mart had a pair similar to those on the modified last for $289 I think last November. I almost bought them because the last is so perfect for me. I still might pick them up they are still around in November.

And yes, dark navy is a lot easier to pair with clothing than other shades of middle blue. Light or dark blue seems to be the easiest to pair.

And speaking of reverse shell, just imagine if they made it unlined. That would be a weird, slippery experience on your feet.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just like regular Shell in different colors.
IMG_8336.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 86 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads