• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Neo1, personally, the brand I'm most interested in (outside of AE and Alden) for boots is now Parkhurst. They seem to be doing the most interesting leather options for what I look for with plain toes. The last is also very well designed. The support as good as my Aldens or GS, and they are forgiving on my toes. One other brand I would like to try is Truman.

I apologize to the others but I wanted to respond to this -

I think Truman has some material choices and limited time options that are definitely what I would consider way cool. Trouble is this - I have tried more shoes than most people here. I have a very good idea what will work and what won't for me. I gamble a lot now, buying things that are final sale sight unseen. While I can be wrong, it's usually rare, since I won't pull the trigger if I'm not fairly certain in my head on something.

I'm a 7.5C - C sucks and historically if I can find a really narrow low-volume last and fit into a 7D I'm good. I didn't realize until I got to GS & Alden that these boots ran so wide I'd need a 6.5D. That's fine - but if it's between a narrow 7D and a big 6.5D, I'd much rather take the 7D.

Truman used to use 3 lasts - the narrow almond shaped 55 last, the standard 79 last and the high wall raised toe 20 last. I think the 55 last would have been a slam dunk for me but it was discontinued (I hear a new v2 version is coming back sometime). Based on everything I've heard or read, my gut feeling is if I bought a 6.5D in the 79 or 20 it would be too short and a 7D I'd be swimming. I think the remaining Truman lasts fall into my "danger zone" of where nothing would work. This is precisely the reason why I've never bought a Stow - I think similarly there, I'd need a 6UK and it wouldn't be good at all.

The high-arch PNW lasts seem to work in a 7D so I've been happy so far with those. I will say that the MP 1339 is definitely unique

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So you should absolutely absolutely go for a PNW boot. But take my warnings seriously- unless you get a flat arch, you will suffer in this thing for a while. And coming from a Bowery (lol) I would NOT get seidel work leather anything. Go for cxl or waxed flesh.

I guarantee you when broken in they'll be better than everything else.

I will say I would not recommend Wesco - not the wait time thing but they're surprisingly small and narrow, you won't like them.
Thanks for the tips…I’ll go back through our previous convos to see where I should start…just don’t expect me to order right away🤣

matwa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wilbert today - get off my lawn!

06-21 24 Wilbert.jpg

KarlHungus

Reaction score
AE has lost the spark.

Carmina. Here I *** again.
I want another pair of your boots.
I think AE has made a strong effort with this shell TS offering....but when shoes / boots are in the $850-950 range, I agree the value proposition against Carmina in particular (with their extensive customization and horween shell offerings -- including several marbled and hatch selections) starts to erode. Alden, while a comparable price point, doesn't readily offer any of the unique shell varieties made available here.

I've been trying so hard to be a good boy.......
:lol:

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think they would do Randolph 2.0 without Poron as a TS option / request? (Probably not.)

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics