• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yours are flat welt, and many are, but there were reverse welts. View attachment 1970433
Plus, I have an 11EEE pair with a natural reverse welt and shaved burgundy shell for sale if any one is interested 😀

I thought the stock models of the 1st Ave were flat welt? My marbled burg pair is the exact same makeup as yours, but I thought the reverse welt was pretty much an SMU only option.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If green is a stupid color for shoes, then I am really stupid.
IMG_7099.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought the stock models of the 1st Ave were flat welt? My marbled burg pair is the exact same makeup as yours, but I thought the reverse welt was pretty much an SMU only option.
Pebble grain brown with reverse was probably what 8 years ago now?

Rithrin

Reaction score
Yours are flat welt, and many are, but there were reverse welts. View attachment 1970433
Plus, I have an 11EEE pair with a natural reverse welt and shaved burgundy shell for sale if any one is interested 😀
Oh, come on! I always regretted going for flat welt on my pair lol, don't tempt me with this :p

Pretty certain the reverse was stock for this, but upon review of 2019 TS footage the samples they sent out for the TS were flat welt.

It is coming in black and chili for pre-release. I really want a pair, but I am struggling with the price. I can pay $495 now and get free boot trees, or probably get it next Anniversary sale for like... $400. Or wait until the 2025 trunk show where it will most likely be offered in shell.
Strangely, I actually want this in calf. The ankle boot models - Hamilton, Fifth St., assumedly this Park boot (Park Street?) - are a bit more uncomfortable at the ankles than they should be due to the rigidity of the shell, for me at least. Calf sounds like it might be more comfortable in the long run. Merlot could be a nice color for these, looking forward to seeing what gets offered in the Fall.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have cordovans from Carmina, the uppers are very stiff when new. Those AE are buttery soft, but feel a bit looser than my other calf AEs on the 65 lasts

I have a pair of Parks from around the year 2000 in calf, and they are definitely the roomiest 65 last balmorals that I own. I also noticed that my 65 balmorals that were made around 2011-2014 seem to be the tightest and less instep room. I don't get it either.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, come on! I always regretted going for flat welt on my pair lol, don't tempt me with this :p

Pretty certain the reverse was stock for this, but upon review of 2019 TS footage the samples they sent out for the TS were flat welt.

Strangely, I actually want this in calf. The ankle boot models - Hamilton, Fifth St., assumedly this Park boot (Park Street?) - are a bit more uncomfortable at the ankles than they should be due to the rigidity of the shell, for me at least. Calf sounds like it might be more comfortable in the long run. Merlot could be a nice color for these, looking forward to seeing what gets offered in the Fall.
For you my friend, I give you especial price.

I agree on calf but for different reasons. My newer shell fifth sts are more stiff than my MTO brown shell with Indy lining by a long shot. Same thing for my HM with Indy lining. But, I’m growing bored with shell. I most prefer Nubuck/suede but I think for those calls would be most appropriate

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Continuing the self declared AE Boots week with the Football Grain Higgins Mill for today, paired with business trousers and yes, they do work...NOT!
Was worth trying at least once anyway!
Laces are from Alden which I got a a recent trunk show.
20230607_184244.jpg
20230607_184311.jpg
20230607_184327.jpg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey Denali, it is Wilbert here, I can’t believe you replaced me. I got real rubber, an intricate style, and have been the old man comfort shoe that got AE where it is today. WTF!!!!
IMG_7102.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads