• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the reverse shell, someone got one (HM) a year ago during their visit at AE!

I very much doubt that will ever happen, or if it did, it would have to be a secret menu item. I don't know how accurately you can represent what the back side of the shell looks like. I think you might wind up with a bunch of unhappy customers (online buyers) who have no clue what the backside of shell looks and feels like.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMG_3444.jpeg
IMG_3446.jpeg
IMG_3445.jpeg
IMG_3437.jpeg

ACLC

Reaction score
Gonna have a few days here in the 80s, so I'm switching over to sneakers and boat shoes for the remainder of the week until things go back to normal. Brown suede Porter City sneakers got the call today. Apparently, none of the sun I got the past two weekends did any good for legs, so white pasty ankles get the call as well. Try not to let the glare kill you.

These Porter City sneakers made the journey with me to Port Washington on Friday the 19th. Got a lot of compliments on them from customers and sales staff, which surprised me. They also have a tongue brand on them, but it's embossed into a matching suede tag and not a separate leather tag. No one will see it, and only I know it's there. But, if any of you want to cry about it, go right ahead. I won't stop you.

Also, want to say I'm really impressed with the AE recrafting. When I was there, I dropped off some vintage shell MacNeils to get new heels on Friday at about 3:30 or so. Got them back in the mail the next Friday with dovetail heels. The mismatch in the new leather portion and the decades-old leather sole is a little jarring, but a couple wears will take care of that. Happy to get them back before my nephew's wedding in two weeks. A one-week turnaround was much better than expected. I know, you can get a local cobbler to do the same thing, but all the reward bonuses involved for doing it in store also pushed me to the point where I got a $20 credit out of it. I don't think I have any other shoes coming up on new heels, but I'm definitely all-in on making a trip to the store to do it.

View attachment 1966343

what is the fit like in the porter city? I’m 9.5 E in 5th aves, would a normal 9.5 in the porters fit?

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is the fit like in the porter city? I’m 9.5 E in 5th aves, would a normal 9.5 in the porters fit?

This is a really tough question for me, and I'm hoping someone else can provide insights. I'm an 11.5D in most AEs, but not the 65 last. I cannot, for the life of me, get a good fit in that one due to a narrow heel and high instep. Going down a length and up a width leaves me swimming side to side. I have some 12D that are OK, but obviously long.

With all that being said, I have these Porter City shoes in an 11.5D. They're a touch snug, especially on the instep, but not outrageously so. They are, however, pretty comfortable overall. If you definitely need the width of the E, I would think you're probably going to regret going with your 65-last size. If you're going with a D-width, you're probably better served going to a 10D.

I'll also say that it comes with a fairly thick, removable insole. You could try swapping it out for something thinner, if needed.

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For 65, do you drop down a 1/2 in length, say from brannock, 511, or 1757? Or are your toes near the end in 9.5? If so, I would recommend going with a 10 in length. (For example, I am brannock 9.5 between C and D, take 65 in 9D, wear Porters in 9.5D but feel like I could even do 10D if needed and wearing with thick dress/athletic socks.)

I don't recall if they come in E width or not. Regardless, my starting point on AE sneakers, especially with the thicker removable insoles, is 65+0.5 in length. Obviously, ymmv.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the nice weather last week and this week my moto boots and moto sneakers are getting a workout.

I have been using my new Wilder loafers; fairly comfortable but like all my loafers not really wide enough. I will say the $75 I paid is a good deal but I can't image anyone paying 3 bills for a cemented shoe.

I need to test out the Force 10's this weekend and compare them to my Maritimes. I don't expect I'll even lace up the FBG HM's until the Fall.

Maybe I should try them on though since AE only does 60 days on returns. :deadhorse:

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've already done marbled burgundy, and I don't want them to do it again so that I can be a special boy with 1 of the 50 pairs made. I don't think it would necessarily be 'fair', but I think it would be cool if they limited some of the colors again. They generally have a few makeups that are only able to be purchased in store, but they should do that for a whole style or material option.
Was Marbled Burgundy the Antique Cherry color?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a really tough question for me, and I'm hoping someone else can provide insights. I'm an 11.5D in most AEs, but not the 65 last. I cannot, for the life of me, get a good fit in that one due to a narrow heel and high instep. Going down a length and up a width leaves me swimming side to side. I have some 12D that are OK, but obviously long.

With all that being said, I have these Porter City shoes in an 11.5D. They're a touch snug, especially on the instep, but not outrageously so. They are, however, pretty comfortable overall. If you definitely need the width of the E, I would think you're probably going to regret going with your 65-last size. If you're going with a D-width, you're probably better served going to a 10D.

I'll also say that it comes with a fairly thick, removable insole. You could try swapping it out for something thinner, if needed.

My basic rule is, go up 1/2 size on the Porter if you have a high instep like I do. Regular size can work for me, but it's a little snugger than I want.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing white suede Strandmoks today. Am I the only person who got a pair of white suede Strandmoks?

IMG_5144.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, two pairs of white suede Strandmoks in one picture.

IMG_5147.jpeg

For fans of white suede shoe pictures in shoe threads, from left to right, Nomads, Strandmoks, and Scottsdales.

IMG_5141.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads