• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow how the mighty have fallen. The new AE catalogue needs a witty title, along the lines, “ Fall 2023 DSW Former Top Brands.”

Hey, I’m no marketer, but that brochure could be a HBS case study soon.

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
@RJNavarrete, what size are your Strands in? I wear these two in the same size. However, you might need 11 E or 11 EE.
11 EEE. Tried them on right after and they look much better. There is a small bit of bowing / bulge, but much more acceptable. I'll post a pic shortly.

This is strange, given that I have a high instep and wide foot, no? Shouldn't the Strands fit me worse, technically?

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I have mostly been wearing a pair of Red Wing boots over the last six months, every now and then I wear a pair of AEs. Yesterday evening it was the River Oaks.

4B629A77-DD6E-4A72-A05B-2E65BCF4B42B.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t know why the Featherwelts did not take off. Sneaker Feel with a more traditional look. For those times when you want to dress down but not all the way down. Maybe I underestimated the sneaker look.
9FC6BD50-957B-4F2A-93BB-A0FDE65ED5B8.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got these Delrays in. What does it mean if they bow out like this? Too long? Too wide? Not wide enough?

Forefoot feels fine in the shoe, but definitely not liking how this part looks and feels. I'm also experiencing some heel slippage, so I'm assuming they're just too big, but will getting a half size down or a different width fix this? These are 11 EEE, for reference. That's what the store manager recommended based on the measurements he took and the Strands I purchased.

I have the same issues I have previously discussed so my answer is spoilered to avoid people throwing their keyboard at the wall.

I, too, have the same 11EEE with high instep issues you are experiencing. Basically, my feet fall outside of the parameters of most AE lasts, especially the 65. I found if the ankle fit, the shoes would not close properly and the lace gap was too wide. If I increased the size the front would look and fit better but the ankles bowed. If I decreased the length to make the ankle fit the front was off. People with narrower feet can usually work around this by small changes in the width and the length. Being a EEE we do not have the option of increasing the width so the only option is the play with the length. Increase the length to get them to close correctly and the ankles bowed. The end result is I found some pairs of AE that were acceptable in fit and stopped my search. AE has gradually discontinued lasts that were close or they they only have one style on that last. I found the Alden lasts worked far better for my fit needs and you can PM me if you want information on that.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another day, another MacNeil. These are super-beefy and feel like literal gunboats. I love them, even though they need new heels. As soon as I get off my lazy ass and into an AE store, I'll do it.
IMG_6640.jpg

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
I have the same issues I have previously discussed so my answer is spoilered to avoid people throwing their keyboard at the wall.

I, too, have the same 11EEE with high instep issues you are experiencing. Basically, my feet fall outside of the parameters of most AE lasts, especially the 65. I found if the ankle fit, the shoes would not close properly and the lace gap was too wide. If I increased the size the front would look and fit better but the ankles bowed. If I decreased the length to make the ankle fit the front was off. People with narrower feet can usually work around this by small changes in the width and the length. Being a EEE we do not have the option of increasing the width so the only option is the play with the length. Increase the length to get them to close correctly and the ankles bowed. The end result is I found some pairs of AE that were acceptable in fit and stopped my search. AE has gradually discontinued lasts that were close or they they only have one style on that last. I found the Alden lasts worked far better for my fit needs and you can PM me if you want information on that.
Thanks, Doc. Following up via PM.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. More MacNeils (I know).

These 1995 shell diamonds-in-the rough have been on eBay for a while and I finally decided to give it a go.

Cleaned with isopropyl, reshaped over trees using water and Bick 4 (lots of Bick 4), and touched up with Saphir Black Crème Cordovan Polish and edge dressing. And much much much brushing and rubbing with a soft tee shirt.

Did I have to do this knowing that I will probably be having these re-crafted? No, but I like to get a sense of their maximum potential expression before deciding to spend more money.

These could do with a bit of further reshaping over the original lasts and fresh bottoms, so I think they will go back to Allen Edmonds.
DDC63DA9-C22C-46D1-98DD-778C272368D7.jpeg
9BC27A3A-9A8C-4D6D-88EB-0B7F12657A89.jpeg
077F7A8C-0A5A-453F-A615-226737DC3B56.jpeg
1652CD4E-1391-442F-955F-35F561228349.jpeg
D679A7E3-5E46-48D5-8033-B60C0ACD5F5D.jpeg
937B0396-F76A-42ED-ABB2-7B93987A2F20.jpeg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great deal on a Massdrop Chukka in snuff suede. Size 11.5B on the 511 last, but I read that they run long and narrow.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The new releases are beginning to resemble the shoe department at Target.

Amen. There was a time AE made shoes like this.

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads