• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that will improve the stock situation at the Newbury St. location. I was there a week or two ago and they didn't have any of the models I was interested in my size and hadn't stocked the Leeds at all.
Sure. Just start being interested only in d-width sneakers and the place will have everything you need.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure. Just start being interested only in d-width sneakers and the place will have everything you need.

The entire reason Allen Edmonds is a good choice is that: 1. There are stores. 2. There are extended width options for thin and fat footed gentlemen. If they don't stock EEE, cash me outside howboutdat.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The entire reason Allen Edmonds is a good choice is that: 1. There are stores. 2. There are extended width options for thin and fat footed gentlemen. If they don't stock EEE, cash me outside howboutdat.
Hahaha ya! Back in 2018, I could walk in with money and walk out with 10eee in hand.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Embarrassment of riches.

248AE1D8-0DA8-4A81-A776-394077B3F8CD.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha ya! Back in 2018, I could walk in with money and walk out with 10eee in hand.

I really am beginning to despise the whole "buy online" only model so many stores are taking.

I like going into a store, buying stuff, and coming out with physical things sometimes. Sometimes, it's fun to go shopping. Not always, but sometimes it most assuredly is good.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As I travel more around the country I am seeing a lot of sizing differences in the AE stores. In Arizona they had many B widths in the store but almost no 3E. At my home store no thin widths but they have one 65 last shoe in E width, another in EE, and another in 3E. So if you want a Strand in 2E. The SA brings out a PA so you can check the size and then order if it fits. If you are a B or C width, you just got to pull out your credit card and order a few sizes so you can get a good fit. Hell, my SA will text me if someone returns anything in a C width. She knows if it fits, I most likely will buy it.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really am beginning to despise the whole "buy online" only model so many stores are taking.

I like going into a store, buying stuff, and coming out with physical things sometimes. Sometimes, it's fun to go shopping. Not always, but sometimes it most assuredly is good.
It's especially nice doing this with shoes, because you can actually find out if they fit before buying them.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same. I still visit the physical store to order even though it gets shipped to me.

Rithrin

Reaction score
Alright, gents. I saw MacNeils posted earlier and so out come mine. Walnut Macs from the AE100 release being worn out to San Francisco, where flannels are weather appropriate year round.

PXL_20230324_195345034.jpg

AE has really been trying to get my attention with emails. All the new loafers coming out are tempting, and I really was tempted to pick up one of those denim shoes, but I am holding out. It's nearly 4 months into 2023 and there has been no budget broken by shoes yet. Of course, Trunk Shows are just around the corner...

The Wilbert is classically considered the kind of fuddy duddy look of a blucher model from AE that isn't that sexy or that matter, rugged. It looks geriatric.

I like the Leeds, though, even though I think the Leeds would be better with a thinner blucher tab like what Hanover used to do. The Delray is a nice NST, though I prefered the Bradley.

I just mean: Any shoe that looks like it's made for SAS comfort shoes is not a look I want.

I don't think the MacNeil counts as fuddy duddy at all. That's a pretty classic American design, though admittedly it's also a bit antiquated. It still looks smart and nice, though, and I think the LWB, especially in shell cordovan, should be in every man's shoe collection.

I don't think the Walton is too fuddy duddy, either. It's a pretty handsome shoe. Understated.

The Mapleton deserves to be worn by no one as bicycle toes are an abomination and the mark of the worst sort of mistakes men make when buying shoes. No one should wear bicycle toes. They're bad. Bad. Super bad.

There are just a ton of styles that AE could make if they decided to go more rugged/casual with the derby/blucher type shoes.

I don't know. I doubt AE is going to listen, I don't think they want this kind of market, but......I don't see why not when Alden and Crockett and Jones have a lot of options in this space and don't look dumb trying to produce stuff.

Maybe a lot of people are buying this other stuff. Who knows. Their core market space is probably the man who just needs leather shoes for business casual.
Fuddy duddy is so subjective. What looks geriatric to some looks fresh and new to others. I think it often just comes down to "What my grandpa used to wear when I was a kid". Get enough sneaker Parks on peoples' feet and they'll be looking fuddy duddy a generation or two down the line. And, I suppose, it also has to do with everything else one is wearing.

Higgins Mill in Natural Shell (TS 2022)
Whiskey Laces from Guarded Goods
Walnut Polish on the welt stitches

View attachment 1919379 View attachment 1919381 View attachment 1919383
Your natty's look like they have some rich caramel colors in there. Jealous!

The artistry of shoe making:
Was a factory tour part of the deal for purchasing one of these? Really cool to see it all laid out like that. Thanks for sharing it!

It all depends on the store. Sutter St in SF is one of those larger warehouse locations that keeps basically every size in stock. I'm betting that with the widening pool of casual/sneaker offerings, there's less and less space in most locations' inventories for keeping a size selection in stock.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's especially nice doing this with shoes, because you can actually find out if they fit before buying them.

Yes, exactly. Shoes are especially sensitive to size, even moreso than say, jackets or shirts or pants. Though with those, different brands have wildly different sizing. Generally, if I need to wear it, I'd prefer to be able to try it and see if it works so I don't have to go to the UPS store fifty times.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, gents. I saw MacNeils posted earlier and so out come mine. Walnut Macs from the AE100 release being worn out to San Francisco, where flannels are weather appropriate year round.

View attachment 1925889

AE has really been trying to get my attention with emails. All the new loafers coming out are tempting, and I really was tempted to pick up one of those denim shoes, but I am holding out. It's nearly 4 months into 2023 and there has been no budget broken by shoes yet. Of course, Trunk Shows are just around the corner...

Fuddy duddy is so subjective. What looks geriatric to some looks fresh and new to others. I think it often just comes down to "What my grandpa used to wear when I was a kid". Get enough sneaker Parks on peoples' feet and they'll be looking fuddy duddy a generation or two down the line. And, I suppose, it also has to do with everything else one is wearing.

Your natty's look like they have some rich caramel colors in there. Jealous!

Was a factory tour part of the deal for purchasing one of these? Really cool to see it all laid out like that. Thanks for sharing it!

It all depends on the store. Sutter St in SF is one of those larger warehouse locations that keeps basically every size in stock. I'm betting that with the widening pool of casual/sneaker offerings, there's less and less space in most locations' inventories for keeping a size selection in stock.

True, I think that fuddy duddy is definitely going to be marked by what people wore at what time. I am sure at one time, the Leeds was the bee's knees.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I travel more around the country I am seeing a lot of sizing differences in the AE stores. In Arizona they had many B widths in the store but almost no 3E. At my home store no thin widths but they have one 65 last shoe in E width, another in EE, and another in 3E. So if you want a Strand in 2E. The SA brings out a PA so you can check the size and then order if it fits. If you are a B or C width, you just got to pull out your credit card and order a few sizes so you can get a good fit. Hell, my SA will text me if someone returns anything in a C width. She knows if it fits, I most likely will buy it.

I have noticed that, in general, in the New York area the AE stores have 3E widths, but I have never actually seen a 2E in person, ever. I never have bothered to check if they have narrow widths in stock, as there is no way I could wear a C in any size without it being clownishly over long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads