• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the e-mail too and I don't feel worthy, it looks interesting ... but I don't wear jeans. I own only one pair, and that's because one of my clients runs a junkyard/scrapyard. I keep telling myself I should find a nice pair of jeans, but I don't even know where to start with modern denim.
View attachment 1890601
Here is a Denim Strands link with all my info taken out if any of you want to look at what is going on. It looks interesting.
@MajorDash love the Elgins! You know the way to my heart.

This is what I was referring to. A raid the stockroom event sounds more up my alley.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, my shoes for the day.

Oxblood Daltons. The Dalton only looks slightly weird when looking straight down at it.
View attachment 1890611

From the side, it looks amazing. They usually don't look this red.
View attachment 1890613

Hanging out at a client's office.
View attachment 1890615
View attachment 1890617

I purchased these in Charleston, my old local store, and before I purchased them I was given some good info straight from the queen weasel herself. The uppers are made from Repello weatherproof suede which is infused with some form of scotchguard. I'm sure these would hold up well for a little dampness, but I put a coating of Saphir Invulner on them, never hurts to be extra safe. I found an old picture that I never posted of the Loden Higgins beading up water.
View attachment 1890625

Thank you! The one thing that I think could be improved upon is the XL sole. I don't hate it, but I'd much rather have something else. They do feel light, but I think that could be the XL sole. As this is my only pair on the XL, I don't have much to compare it to.

I got the e-mail too and I don't feel worthy, it looks interesting ... but I don't wear jeans. I own only one pair, and that's because one of my clients runs a junkyard/scrapyard. I keep telling myself I should find a nice pair of jeans, but I don't even know where to start with modern denim.
View attachment 1890601

Here is a Denim Strands link with all my info taken out if any of you want to look at what is going on. It looks interesting.

Okay, so this event is SUPER COOL in principle.......................................but it sounds utterly friggin' dumb in practice.

Why would I ever want a formal oxford made out of cotton?

Like the Strand is not a casual shoe. It's an oxford. Making it out of cotton.....seems utterly dumb. Like, why do I want a dress shoe made out of jeans?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking forward to your take on this one. :lurk:

I'm curious as to what the price is.

I could see a boat shoe or maybe a buck, hell even a chukka, but a half brogued oxford?

Like okay, a denim buck could maybe work. Like the type you'd get in white suede for the summer.

Incidentally, aes court side sneaker could work in denim.

But a dress shoe? Bro, this is the equivalent of those tshirts with a tuxedo picture on them.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could see a boat shoe or maybe a buck, hell even a chukka, but a half brogued oxford?

Like okay, a denim buck could maybe work. Like the type you'd get in white suede for the summer.

But a dress shoe? Bro, this is the equivalent of those tshirts with a tuxedo picture on them.
I’m fine with denim. Hell, I’d consider owning. But, the art is not cool; the least he could do is have the artistry of Three Kings Tattoos!

PANJ

Reaction score

In principle I don't disagree, but Allen Edmonds does not make a buck or a boat shoe that is as iconic as the Strand. Why do you think they keep pumping out countless versions of the Strand(mok)? I own two Strands, that's enough for me.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In principle I don't disagree, but Allen Edmonds does not make a buck or a boat shoe that is as iconic as the Strand. Why do you think they keep pumping out countless versions of the Strand(mok)? I own two Strands, that's enough for me.
Two Strands? Did you mean two for each day of the week or each day of the month?
I need to understand the two Strand reference.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indefinitely need more bluchers/derbies

2C141BED-E72B-4E97-8397-1B2CDA6D620B.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I need to do a few days of mixed media Strand like offerings. RumChatta this morning.
3F505E9F-2B00-45F9-8F03-B69CA6CDA7E4.jpeg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The denim strand is . . . not for me. And, that's OK. But, it's not like AE hasn't done a denim style oxford before. Back in 2012, they had a partnership with the Parsons School of Design and came out with the 7th Avenue as the winning design, which was essentially a Park Avenue made from, gasp, selvedge denim. It was done in limited numbers, and yet, somehow, the world kept spinning and AE didn't collapse in upon itself like a dying star. It's almost as if it was approached for what it was, a limited release that appealed to a limited audience and got AE a little bit of publicity along the way.

Someone out there with more historical AE knowledge can probably tell us all how many different times AE and Parsons teamed up to bring us something different. For some reason, I have it in my head that the Bleecker Street boot was the product of one of these partnerships, but I'm probably wrong on that front.

il_794xN.1894640156_1q67 copy.jpg

il_794xN.1942167415_mwis copy.jpg

il_794xN.1894638852_pamb copy.jpg

So, they're doing it with a Strand this time, instead of a Park Avenue. They're using a less formal material on a less formal design than before. That makes sense. I like seeing AE do these outside-the-box one-offs. I'm fine when they make something that's not for me. As I said, this one is not for me. But, it only has to be for 22 people. If AE can figure out how to do these kind of one-offs (or 22-offs in this case) successfully, this could possibly open the door to a 22-off MTO. And, isn't that something folks here are always banging the drum about?

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The denim strand is . . . not for me. And, that's OK. But, it's not like AE hasn't done a denim style oxford before. Back in 2012, they had a partnership with the Parsons School of Design and came out with the 7th Avenue as the winning design, which was essentially a Park Avenue made from, gasp, selvedge denim. It was done in limited numbers, and yet, somehow, the world kept spinning and AE didn't collapse in upon itself like a dying star. It's almost as if it was approached for what it was, a limited release that appealed to a limited audience and got AE a little bit of publicity along the way.

Someone out there with more historical AE knowledge can probably tell us all how many different times AE and Parsons teamed up to bring us something different. For some reason, I have it in my head that the Bleecker Street boot was the product of one of these partnerships, but I'm probably wrong on that front.

View attachment 1891137

View attachment 1891139
View attachment 1891141

So, they're doing it with a Strand this time, instead of a Park Avenue. They're using a less formal material on a less formal design than before. That makes sense. I like seeing AE do these outside-the-box one-offs. I'm fine when they make something that's not for me. As I said, this one is not for me. But, it only has to be for 22 people. If AE can figure out how to do these kind of one-offs (or 22-offs in this case) successfully, this could possibly open the door to a 22-off MTO. And, isn't that something folks here are always banging the drum about?
I would be all for this, but there is no ripped areas. I think a nice tear in the vamp area would make it another pair that I can only wear when I am accompanied by @Shiner.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah the Strand is arguably the most well known half brogue in the world. Even though Lobb created it, the Strand has become something of the standard half brogue.

Everyone loves the Strand.

It's AE's one definitive claim to fame. They have one "the" shoe.

Regardless, it just.....doesn't make sense for denim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads