• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
The talk of retirement and such has definitely been a thing here as well. Recently moved to Denver but talked about future options (we're also in the "maybe Montana" camp) as we're both in high stress careers that lead to burnout. Even though I'm only in my 30's it's made me start being a bit more conscious about collection size.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For fans of random Santa Monica pictures in shoe threads, some Santa Monica cats have weird names.

View attachment 1888241
Bongwater? What kind of weirdo names their cat Bongwater? Crispin Bigglesworth thinks that name is ridiculous.
4AFCEC58-0038-4CF9-A5D4-257DBD98E42C.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I had an interesting epiphany today. For most of the last two weeks, I've been wearing two pairs of C&J boots on Dainite. Today, I switched to my Pattons on Dainite. I'm pretty convinced that the Dainite that AE orders is softer, more supple and a bit more grippy than C&J. I'd assume that AE, as one of their largest customers, would be able to special order a softer compound.
Could it be the midsoles providing stiffness?
The talk of retirement and such has definitely been a thing here as well. Recently moved to Denver but talked about future options (we're also in the "maybe Montana" camp) as we're both in high stress careers that lead to burnout. Even though I'm only in my 30's it's made me start being a bit more conscious about collection size.
I hear ya. I’m in my 40s, but with multiple congenital heart defects, I’m not sure Medicare will do me well. I’m considering about 15 years left in private industry. I want to pay off the house, get the kids into college and with 529s covering tuition, and then just build up a savings before going public sector for the health insurance. After 15 years, maybe that can be permanent insurance. It may mean 1/3 the pay, but the steady job and lighter load will maybe be good later in life. For now, I’d go nuts with just one responsibility and not needing to work 70 hours a week.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could it be the midsoles providing stiffness?

I hear ya. I’m in my 40s, but with multiple congenital heart defects, I’m not sure Medicare will do me well. I’m considering about 15 years left in private industry. I want to pay off the house, get the kids into college and with 529s covering tuition, and then just build up a savings before going public sector for the health insurance. After 15 years, maybe that can be permanent insurance. It may mean 1/3 the pay, but the steady job and lighter load will maybe be good later in life. For now, I’d go nuts with just one responsibility and not needing to work 70 hours a week.

Not a financial advisor by any means, but don't build up savings--as understood as a savings account--but build up investments. Savings will diminish with inflation, which is right now quite high, but even in a good year is going to be 2-3%. The standard approach here is to build a 401k with contributions from your employer, but you can also just invest in ETFs (exchange traded funds) which work like mutual funds, but which you can buy/sell as stocks.

Again, not financial advisor, so talk to someone you trust.

Of course, you always run the risk of losing money in the market, and I make no guarantee about nothin' here.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a financial advisor by any means, but don't build up savings--as understood as a savings account--but build up investments. Savings will diminish with inflation, which is right now quite high, but even in a good year is going to be 2-3%. The standard approach here is to build a 401k with contributions from your employer, but you can also just invest in ETFs (exchange traded funds) which work like mutual funds, but which you can buy/sell as stocks.

Again, not financial advisor, so talk to someone you trust.

Of course, you always run the risk of losing money in the market, and I make no guarantee about nothin' here.
I have an mba as well. To me, savings is anything liquid, which includes most investments. Cash is just for short-term operating expenses.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an mba as well. To me, savings is anything liquid, which includes most investments. Cash is just for short-term operating expenses.

Gotcha. Makes sense then.

Sorry about your heart though, bro. I hope it doesn't hurt your life significantly.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your wife doesn't like your spectators?

I have legitimately found women go out of their way to compliment me on my spectators when I wear them.

Like I've been stopped at least 5 times by women going, "Wow, I just love your shoes!"
She realizes this phenomenon. That is why I am supposed to only wear them when she is with me.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Brogue Suede Strands again today.

View attachment 1888233

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, some of the Valentine decorations and me at Ye Olde King's Head in Santa Monica CA. Some of my pictures, like this one, are still coming out the way things look through my left eye.

View attachment 1888235

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, a Kir Royale, Coronation Chicken sandwiches, a scone, tea, and me at Ye Olde King's Head in Santa Monica.

Am trying to remember to keep my left eye open.

Walked there and back from the hotel. Walked west on Broadway and walked east on Arizona. It's uphill coming back.

It's thirty blocks in each direction. It took two hours in each direction. Since the eye surgery on January 4th it's much easier for me to see when I am out walking around.

Still at the hotel and still wearing the same clothes since the landlord is taking a long time to remove the tree that fell and came through my ceiling and to have the power reconnected.

Had the landlord used a professional tree service and a professional electrician the work probably would have been done in two or three days.

Instead of that, the landlord is having a friend who drives down from Oxnard whenever he has some free time doing the work.

View attachment 1888237

For fans of random Santa Monica pictures in shoe threads, some Santa Monica cats have weird names.

View attachment 1888241

For those who don't like A-E sneakers, the Duke Of Windsor wearing what blue Park Avenue sneakers with white eyelets and laces would look like.

View attachment 1888243

What happened to the left eye?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warren Buffett made a fortune in Coke, so your idea of investing in liquids is spot on. :laugh::laugh:

I might have to check the google machine, but I'm pretty sure that the coke that people made a fortune in is a solid.

Garrister

Reaction score
I might have to check the google machine, but I'm pretty sure that the coke that people made a fortune in is a solid.
As Don Draper would say:

I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony
And I'd like to buy the world a Coke
And keep it company
It's the real thing

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Warren Buffett made a fortune in Coke, so your idea of investing in liquids is spot on. :laugh::laugh:
It wasn’t that he invested in KO, it is all about when. They bought a 6.2% stake in the company in 1988 when the stock was still sliding down after the 1987 debacle. Without buying that much more that position is now 9.2% of the company. So my advice to everyone is to keep some cash like assets on the side because real opportunities are on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads