• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Facebook sucks.

I blame @suuteebird for saying the quiet part out loud. That this is a self harm group of shoe addicts and it doesn't matter what AE does or what communication they have with us here, people will continue to plunk down dollars to get their fix.

I'm small fry compared to some of y'all AE addicts with only 9 pairs of shoes, 6 pairs of loafers, and 2 pairs of boots. I still haven't found a pair of loafers that makes my feet say "ah" though, so I guess I'm gonna have save up my $$ to try the other A brand.

Best of luck to you AE_Lauren.
Get on The Shoe Mart, other A brand, seconds list, much better way to try loafers and price is not totally over the top, unless you want shell.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it wasn’t apparent before, it’s painfully obviously now…AE is at a cross-roads as to its future as a higher-end shoe company. I’m afraid that 10 years from now, my AE collection will be the equivalent of a Cole Haan collection today.
I said it when AE was purchased by Calares.....they will be in Famous Footwear stores in 10 - 15 yrs and looks like they might just be...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am beginning to worry this will be the case.

It's okay, though. AE makes great shoes now, and I will always have a spot in my wardrobe for my AEs unless, again, I make enough money to go full bespoke for 40+ pairs of shoes.
I agree with you, and love my AE's, but they seem to be heading down so many divergent paths and all the paths seem to lead to discount shoe racks, has me worried and I've been buying/wearing them since 1992....

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, and love my AE's, but they seem to be heading down so many divergent paths and all the paths seem to lead to discount shoe racks, has me worried and I've been buying/wearing them since 1992....

If that is what happens, it won't change the quality of my shoes, anymore than my vintage Florsheim Imperials are still nice despite current Florsheim anythings being gross abominations now.

I just don't want to see it happen. If it does, I'll have no choice but to just buy English shoes at that point and that stinks on ice.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If that is what happens, it won't change the quality of my shoes, anymore than my vintage Florsheim Imperials are still nice despite current Florsheim anythings being gross abominations now.

I just don't want to see it happen. If it does, I'll have no choice but to just buy English shoes at that point and that stinks on ice.
Oh, I agree, my friend. My 1992 + AE's are still excellent and some of the finest in American footwear and whatever direction the company takes, or doesn't take, will not change the quality of what I have. I, like you, just hate to see a great American company in what appears to be a downhill slide. But, how many of us "footwear" nuts are out there to support the type of footwear we, on this forum, would like to see.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I agree, my friend. My 1992 + AE's are still excellent and some of the finest in American footwear and whatever direction the company takes, or doesn't take, will not change the quality of what I have. I, like you, just hate to see a great American company in what appears to be a downhill slide. But, how many of us "footwear" nuts are out there to support the type of footwear we, on this forum, would like to see.

Not too many, sadly. For instance, the salesman laughed out loud when I suggested AE needs to build one store in central Illinois. He was like: Fat chance! That will happen....never.

But yes, I really hope my apprehensions about where AE is going will not come to pass. I really want to rely on being able to always have a place to shop for good quality shoes that are at least assembled in the USA and have all my widths available at an reasonable price.

TNshoefan

Reaction score

You’re right, in that the Florsheim and J&M shoes from the 1980s are wonderful, and so AE shoes made today will still retain their quality 10 years from now. But the AE brand will have been tarnished by then, much like Florsheim and J&M’s brand image today.

Lauren_A

Reaction score
That really sucks Lauren, I'm sorry.

I liked your participation. You were fun, enjoyable, and helpful.
Thank you SO much. I feel the same about you guys. Please don't take this change as a negative, although it might seem that way.

My position as your Insider isn't going away completely, I'm still going to be posting on Facebook. The brand is not hurting, and you don't need to be concerned. We're trying to be smart and efficient with where we put our dollars. All of you are so important to the brand, so if you could do me a solid and head over to Facebook - I would REALLY appreciate it. 💖

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you SO much. I feel the same about you guys. Please don't take this change as a negative, although it might seem that way.

My position as your Insider isn't going away completely, I'm still going to be posting on Facebook. The brand is not hurting, and you don't need to be concerned. We're trying to be smart and efficient with where we put our dollars. All of you are so important to the brand, so if you could do me a solid and head over to Facebook - I would REALLY appreciate it. 💖

I'm probably not going to do the FB thing, because I hate FB, but I will definitely still lovin' AE here.

Thanks Lauren. Hope you post here on another account from time to time.

Lauren_A

Reaction score
I'm probably not going to do the FB thing, because I hate FB, but I will definitely still lovin' AE here.

Thanks Lauren. Hope you post here on another account from time to time.
I definitely will.

dpgaloot

Reaction score
Not the news I was looking for today. I'm glad I have a relationship with an SA who will hopefully let me know about special events.

I did wear chili shell Freeports today. :)

Freeport_Chili_5_25.jpg

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Letting you know I will no longer be posting as AE_Lauren on Style Forum going forward. You all do such a good job helping and educating each other, it feels like the dollars we're putting toward affiliate vendor status and my ability to post here could be better used to support more limited-runs and in-store events.

I will continue to post over on the Facebook group - so if you haven't already joined, I urge you to do that ASAP. I'll be announcing our next Limited Drop very soon 🙂.

You can always reach me via email if you ever have questions, want some insight or would like to share an idea: [email protected]

I'm sad to be leaving SF, but I promise I'll be lurking behind the scenes. Keeping an finger on the pulse of this group will always be a priority of ours at AE. It's been so fun interacting with you all, and I want to say THANK YOU for allowing me to be here.

Cheers to you, and I'll see you over on Facebook!

❤AE_Lauren
We'll miss you over here on SF. I had already joined (and left) the FB group. Was too much for me to handle with all the complaints and negativity. The group will always appreciate the work you and @Ashley_S have done to advance the brand's engagement with its customers.

Please stop in from time to time! Even if that means just to make announcements for Trunk Shows or new models.

And please do not forget about the Hamilton with split-reverse welt at the next Shell TS! That's the one that got away and the last boot that truly excites me! Would love to run the gamut of all the shell being offered (including Burgundy) since that boot is by far my favorite AE shoe (with the Strand a close second). If there can be a Strand King, then there can be a Hamilton Prince! In true heir to the throne style :worship2: 😂

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not going to lie: It's also worrying to me that AE thinks that affiliate vendor status is so expensive it isn't even worth it to continue to pursue.

The brand must be hurting majorly if they are cutting corners on things like this while raising prices.

This makes me think that instead of resolving the problems, they are just going to bury them. They would prefer if this thread didn't do too well, then no one would be bitching about Allen Edmonds quality.

I'm concerned.
The participation in this thread has declined over the last several years. It’s not just this thread, it’s these forum groups in general. Facebook groups have drawn users away, leveraging a platform that many of us already use.

The way I see it:
The AE Facebook group is larger, with more engagement among different people.

The Styleforum group is smaller, is shrinking, and costs money for AE to participate in. Additionally, there’s some overlap with people in the Styleforum thread participating in the Facebook group.

I don’t blame AE. Why pay for Styleforum when you can reach a larger audience for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads