• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what Allen Edmonds has in store for 2023, coming off of their incredibly busy 100th anniversary year.

Hope to see some suede this year in something that isn’t loafers or casual shoes/boots!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First pair in 2023.
83B3B5ED-5AAB-4FA1-8C34-FF4EF52AC995.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what Allen Edmonds has in store for 2023, coming off of their incredibly busy 100th anniversary year.

Hope to see some suede this year in something that isn’t loafers or casual shoes/boots!
Id like to see some open lacing

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, a seasonal picture of black and white Broadstreets.

IMG_4087.jpeg

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Here are my new-to-me pair of Augusta in 1-wear condition with shoe trees, courtesy of the popular auction site. The Augies look great, though sadly, the shoe trees are both right-foot. Story of my life.

Attachments

• IMG_2300.JPG
    IMG_2300.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 170

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@CommanderMcBragg Was catching up on the 2022 thread and just wanted to weigh in on the belt discussion. Keep in mind this is coming from my own limited experience, not necessarily from a study of proper menswear.

I find 1 1/4" belts to be strictly formal (as in, suit or sport coat), and I have always disliked skinny belts. 1 1/2" belts are great for casual wear, especially jeans, but have no room alongside dressier attire. 1 3/8" belts are, in my opinion, the perfect width for both formal and casual wear, and my preferred width in a typical scenario. I wear them with jeans, suits, and everything in between.

Of course, there's more to consider when it comes to pairing belts. The leather, pattern, stitching, color, and finish type all contribute to formality level. I think common sense, and using your artistic eye, go a long way. It really does come down to personal preference after all.

While I would err on the side of dressier pants while wearing some of the AE belts you pictured and would not venture to put them with a pair of jeans, it could potentially work well with a pair of chinos, khakis, etc. A belt should fill up most of the vertical height in your belt loops. Most jeans have belt loops that will accommodate 1 1/2" or even 1 3/4" belts, which is one reason why thinner belts look out of place.

Also, your height and waist width also make a difference. Optically, I think larger men can get away with thicker belts and thin guys should tread more carefully going wide.

By the way, the walnut Strand Ave. belt you pictured is the most casual of the three to my eye.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score

@CommanderMcBragg Was catching up on the 2022 thread and just wanted to weigh in on the belt discussion. Keep in mind this is coming from my own limited experience, not necessarily from a study of proper menswear.

I find 1 1/4" belts to be strictly formal (as in, suit or sport coat), and I have always disliked skinny belts...Optically, I think larger men can get away with thicker belts and thin guys should tread more carefully going wide.

By the way, the walnut Strand Ave. belt you pictured is the most casual of the three to my eye.

Thank you, MOW--

This was precisely the information I was hoping for; 1,000 thank yous. I probably spent more $$ than I should have on clothes that I don't really need during this holiday sale season, so I'm trying to be semi-prudent by flipping via the popular auction site anything from my closet that I haven't worn in the past year or so that still has tags on it.

From your most informative post, it looks like these 1 3/8" AE belts are good for all-purpose use. I'm leaning toward holding onto the Manistee in bourbon, as the color lends itself to a variety of lighter brown shades and it has the Strand-type broguing.

I'm just not accustomed to wearing anything less than a 1 1/2" belt, mainly from use in conjunction with cowboy boots in my earlier years (note: before anyone gets the idea I'm one of those guys who wears Wrangler jeans and goes to the mud-monster pickup truck shows every Sunday, I'm talking about the black, vintage-type pee-wee boots with the Acme toe). I do have a stash of old 646 Levi's flare jeans in the closet, but that's not an issue as I never wear them anymore. It seems I just need to get used to the 1 3/8" size with my chinos/khakis.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just my 2¢, but glad to help! Your 1 3/8" belts should look absolutely fine with casual pants.

On the topic of belts, I recently had some custom ones made by RLMakers (better known as Ron Rider). He uses premium Italian calfskin and has several options for lined, unlined, and embroidered belts. While I tried to convince him to make me a 1 3/8" size, I had to settle for the more casual 1 1/2". He allowed me to pick my own buckle though, and custom dyed the belt to color-match my marbled chili HM's based off of a photo I sent! Now, over the course of extensive wear, the AE's have darkened since I sent him the photo, so upon receiving the belt I added a bit of my own finish to get the color closer to the boots. Mr. Rider was extremely kind and accommodating throughout the whole process. An outstanding deal for the prices he asks!

I'm quite pleased with the finished product.

20221215_125119.jpg

20221215_125551.jpg

I added a distressed finish to this one which ended up compliment these old, very worn Wolverine 1000 Mile's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads