• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rithrin

Reaction score
Just got an e-mail about this. I'm as far as you could possibly get from NY in the US, so I won't be attending, but maybe some of you weasels will be getting special denim Strands? The Strand King perhaps?

1675721513484.png

Also, I have no idea if I should be proud or ashamed that I got added to this list. Surely I am not in the top 22 owners of AE shoes.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MajorDash they have this posted on their website. I assume it is the same? https://www.allenedmonds.com/raleigh-denim-workshop-catalog

Props to AE for attempting to find unique collaborations and further ways to engage with the customer. That said, I don't know how this is not a huge swing and a miss. I mean... black with white child-like designs?! I get the Strand is the icon shoe (of the moment), but won't this be a 'Mok and not a Strand? Too, is that really the best formality level to support this "design'?! Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 4.50.40 PM.png

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got an e-mail about this. I'm as far as you could possibly get from NY in the US, so I won't be attending, but maybe some of you weasels will be getting special denim Strands? The Strand King perhaps?

View attachment 1890567

Also, I have no idea if I should be proud or ashamed that I got added to this list. Surely I am not in the top 22 owners of AE shoes.
Do the pontificating prescriptivists allow selvedge denim oxfords to be worn with jeans?

Last edited:

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MajorDash they have this posted on their website. I assume it is the same? https://www.allenedmonds.com/raleigh-denim-workshop-catalog

Props to AE for attempting to find unique collaborations and further ways to engage with the customer. That said, I don't know how this is not a huge swing and a miss. I mean... black with white child-like designs?! I get the Strand is the icon shoe (of the moment), but won't this be a 'Mok and not a Strand? Too, is that really the best formality level to support this "design'?! View attachment 1890597

No. There is a factory tour and “stock room raid” happening in April at Port Washington again. There is a signup on the Facebook page, but you can probably just call Alex at the Shoebank to reserve a spot.

Speaking of which, here’s my Elgins that I wore to pick up my new Daltons.
A10D3850-D130-484C-969C-8CF0CDFCFEFA.jpeg

And the Daltons are *NEW*. Hurray!
F2447ECF-31B9-4BCB-9069-FA7C1B4EAEC9.jpeg

Geoff928

Reaction score
First, my shoes for the day.

Oxblood Daltons. The Dalton only looks slightly weird when looking straight down at it.
PXL_20230206_153043256.jpg

From the side, it looks amazing. They usually don't look this red.
PXL_20230206_153056480.jpg

Hanging out at a client's office.
PXL_20230206_162143586.jpg

PXL_20230206_162111379.jpg

Were the Higgins that water repellent out of the box, or did you add further treatment?
I purchased these in Charleston, my old local store, and before I purchased them I was given some good info straight from the queen weasel herself. The uppers are made from Repello weatherproof suede which is infused with some form of scotchguard. I'm sure these would hold up well for a little dampness, but I put a coating of Saphir Invulner on them, never hurts to be extra safe. I found an old picture that I never posted of the Loden Higgins beading up water.
PXL_20230122_170216130.MP.jpg

Your posts/photos typically make my day. I just picked up the loden suede HM and it looks so much better in person. Not sure about the XL sole though, and I wonder if it uses the 'featherwelt' with foam instead of cork because they are super super light.
Thank you! The one thing that I think could be improved upon is the XL sole. I don't hate it, but I'd much rather have something else. They do feel light, but I think that could be the XL sole. As this is my only pair on the XL, I don't have much to compare it to.

I got the e-mail too and I don't feel worthy, it looks interesting ... but I don't wear jeans. I own only one pair, and that's because one of my clients runs a junkyard/scrapyard. I keep telling myself I should find a nice pair of jeans, but I don't even know where to start with modern denim.
Untitled.jpg

Here is a Denim Strands link with all my info taken out if any of you want to look at what is going on. It looks interesting.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Props to AE for attempting to find unique collaborations and further ways to engage with the customer. That said, I don't know how this is not a huge swing and a miss. I mean... black with white child-like designs?! I get the Strand is the icon shoe (of the moment), but won't this be a 'Mok and not a Strand? Too, is that really the best formality level to support this "design'?! View attachment 1890597

Wow. Those are, interesting. Maybe not something I could use in my daily wear, but I like seeing that AE is trying some new things that aren't bad. I was imaging a Dad's jeans version and that would clash with most of my faded jeans. A darker denim might look better, but then, still might clash with jeans. I guess I'll just have to be content with my denim (suede) Strandmok.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oxblood Daltons. The Dalton only looks slightly weird when looking straight down at it.
View attachment 1890611

View attachment 1890613

View attachment 1890615
View attachment 1890617

I purchased these in Charleston, my old local store, and before I purchased them I was given some good info straight from the queen weasel herself. The uppers are made from Repello weatherproof suede which is infused with some form of scotchguard. I'm sure these would hold up well for a little dampness, but I put a coating of Saphir Invulner on them, never hurts to be extra safe. I found an old picture that I never posted of the Loden Higgins beading up water.
View attachment 1890625

Thank you! The one thing that I think could be improved upon is the XL sole. I don't hate it, but I'd much rather have something else. They do feel light, but I think that could be the XL sole. As this is my only pair on the XL, I don't have much to compare it to.

I got the e-mail too and I don't feel worthy, it looks interesting ... but I don't wear jeans. I own only one pair, and that's because one of my clients runs a junkyard/scrapyard. I keep telling myself I should find a nice pair of jeans, but I don't even know where to start with modern denim.
View attachment 1890601

Here is a Denim Strands link with all my info taken out if any of you want to look at what is going on. It looks interesting.

Lies. The Dalton looks mega weird from the top down. As a new Dalton owner, I reserve the right to bash the style.

But god dang, the red colors really pop on the broguing details on the Dalton, and the 511 last looks really nice on the wingtip boot.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1890611

View attachment 1890613

View attachment 1890615
View attachment 1890617

View attachment 1890625

View attachment 1890601

I picked up another pair of suede HM's with the same XL sole which are comparatively heavier than the Loden suede pair. It could have to do only with the thickness of the midsole and leather uppers though. It seems that AE has nixed all marketing references to 'feather welts'. One would hope they are a thing of the past, but I suspect the opposite is true (and now we just won't know when we are getting foam in place of cork).

As for the Daltons, it may be that the straight bar lacing and wide gap are contributing to the uncanny vibe. And red shoes just aren't for everyone. I found thin flat waxed cotton laces to look exceptional on my chili Daltons.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Snuff Suede Neumoks again today. Only brought two pairs of shoes with me during what I thought would be a short stay in a hotel.

Had the landlord used the money Farmer's Insurance sent them and hired a professional tree service and a professional electrician to repair the damage from the falling tree the work probably would have been done in two or three days.

Instead the landlord pocketed the money and is having a friend drive down from Oxnard in his spare time and renting tools from Home Depot doing the work. On Wednesday February 8th it will be three weeks since the tree fell.

IMG_4393.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, was minding my own business when an elephant tapped me on the arm and asked me when the next Trunk Show was.

Had no idea what to tell the elephant. Maybe I should read the posts that only have words and no pictures on them.

Since I only brought one jacket and one pair of trousers with me, have been wearing the same things in my pictures for a while now. There is a laundromat six blocks from the hotel. Have been there twice (so far).

IMG_4387.jpeg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, trying to look happy during Happy Hour and failing miserably.

A glass of Solminer Blaufrankisch and me at the Offhand Wine Bar in Santa Monica.

Before January 2018 I used to look happier in most of my pictures.

(When you are quite nearly 76 you look better when backlit by the setting Sun.)

IMG_4396.jpeg

Still forgetting to keep my left eye open. Had eye surgery on January 4th (Strabismus, left eye, three muscles).

For those who don't come from places with palm trees, when the wind blows hard the palm fronds fly off the palm trees. The palm fronds are very hard, very heavy, and have spikes along their edges. Best to be very careful when strong winds (like last night) are blowing the fronds of the palm trees.

IMG_4405.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads