• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
2023-10-07-09-33-51-466-01-02.jpeg

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
I’m confused by this post. Then again, I’m confused by many things. That said, the 3344 chili weave Crandon is super bitchin and should be worn at any place or time, for any occasion. This includes funerals held in the middle of a blizzard.
I think originally weaves were just that, woven so that air would come through and so, like huaraches, for warm weather. I have the AE Strawfut, which is an unlined mesh which truly does let air go through. The other wovens though, lined, so looks only. I feel similarly about spectators, though not involving any weaves, they're two-tone, one of which is usually a very light color, striking me as summer only. Thanks for the comments.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think originally weaves were just that, woven so that air would come through and so, like huaraches, for warm weather. I have the AE Strawfut, which is an unlined mesh which truly does let air go through. The other wovens though, lined, so looks only. I feel similarly about spectators, though not involving any weaves, they're two-tone, one of which is usually a very light color, striking me as summer only. Thanks for the comments.
Can it be that my legend has diminished so far that I’m no longer known in these parts? I’m wounded, so very wounded I tell you, that someone would think I don’t know the details of the history of both vintage and more recent versions of the Stawfut (of which there are a number)!

Am I going to have to do a shoepr0n dump of my collection? Do I have to link to the grand shoe-science projects (and partially involuntary inhalation of dangerous, though oddly pleasant, chemicals) that I’ve undertaken for the benefit of all?

(Note: you should take everything I said seriously, except for where you clearly should not take what I said seriously).

Oh and here’s a picture of my non-vintage (fully lined, I might add) Stawfut’s:
IMG_1821.jpeg

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Can it be that my legend has diminished so far that I’m no longer known in these parts? I’m wounded, so very wounded I tell you, that someone would think I don’t know the details of the history of both vintage and more recent versions of the Stawfut (of which there are a number)!

Am I going to have to do a shoepr0n dump of my collection? Do I have to link to the grand shoe-science projects (and partially involuntary inhalation of dangerous, though oddly pleasant, chemicals) that I’ve undertaken for the benefit of all?

(Note: you should take everything I said seriously, except for where you clearly should not take what I said seriously).

Oh and here’s a picture of my non-vintage (fully lined, I might add) Stawfut’s:
View attachment 2042485
Yes yes! Collection dump pls!

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Have not visited here often enough to know the nuances of various regular posters. But if this is in anyway a contest of who knows more, then I'm out. So yes, I do not understand your post at all.

Below is a pic of the Strawfuts, referenced in a post above. In picture two I've propped a pen light to show the airy effect of the mesh. Lovely on a hot summer day...
20231007_180449-01-01.jpeg

20231007_175922.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have not visited here often enough to know the nuances of various regular posters. But if this is in anyway a contest of who knows more, then I'm out. So yes, I do not understand your post at all.

Below is a pic of the Strawfuts, referenced in a post above. In picture two I've propped a pen light to show the airy effect of the mesh. Lovely on a hot summer day...
View attachment 2042629

View attachment 2042631
Yeah, all the nylon mesh versions (models 5515 - Black, 5565 - Brown/Brown , 5595 - Brown/Navy) were properly unlined Strawfut’s (like their 40’s and 50’s namesake). Only the linen version (5505) that I pictured above was fully lined; I think 5505 is a great looking shoe, but kinda defeats the purpose of the Stawfut. They were probably worried about customers complaining about icky foot sweat stains, which I think they could have addressed with an interior cotton drill lining, but AE stopped doing that style of lining after ~1984 (because Stollenwerk likely didn’t feel drill linings were upmarket enough).

And, here’s the 56 catalog entry for the almost first Strawfut:

IMG_3557.jpeg

It’s interesting to note (for weirdos like me) that, while the original was also an unlined nylon mesh, it was built on the old (long gone) No.6 Newberry last, but the “Empire” spectator below it was built on the same 65 (aka No. 5 or “Boulevard” last) that was used to last the 2011 Strawfut.

IMG_3561.jpeg

Because there’s also THIS version of the Strawfut, built on the old No. 3 “Bancroft” last:

IMG_3560.jpeg

IMG_3558.jpeg

IMG_3559.jpeg

IMG_3562.jpeg

IMG_3564.jpeg

So when does this version hail from? Probably a few years earlier: they feature a channeled welt top stitch, which makes me think they’re early 50’s. They have the Ostendo heel, which isn’t just branding, it denotes models which had a little rubber pad below the heel, in between the insole and outsole - something AE did on-and-off for decades (which was of dubious value).

If you’re into vintage, this pair is for sale here: https://shopboardwalkvintage.com/shop/allen-edmonds-strawfut-mesh-brogue-wingtip-oxford-shoes

Okay, I’ll stop the shoe nerdery now.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Yeah, all the nylon mesh versions (models 5515 - Black, 5565 - Brown/Brown , 5595 - Brown/Navy) were properly unlined Strawfut’s (like their 40’s and 50’s namesake). Only the linen version (5505) that I pictured above was fully lined; I think 5505 is a great looking shoe, but kinda defeats the purpose of the Stawfut. They were probably worried about customers complaining about icky foot sweat stains, which I think they could have addressed with an interior cotton drill lining, but AE stopped doing that style of lining after ~1984 (because Stollenwerk likely didn’t feel drill linings were upmarket enough).

And, here’s the 56 catalog entry for the almost first Strawfut:

View attachment 2042649
It’s interesting to note (for weirdos like me) that, while the original was also an unlined nylon mesh, it was built on the old (long gone) No.6 Newberry last, but the “Empire” spectator below it was built on the same 65 (aka No. 5 or “Boulevard” last) that was used to last the 2011 Strawfut.

View attachment 2042663

Because there’s also THIS version of the Strawfut, built on the old No. 3 “Bancroft” last:

View attachment 2042667
View attachment 2042669
View attachment 2042671
View attachment 2042673

View attachment 2042677
So when does this version hail from? Probably a few years earlier: they feature a channeled welt top stitch, which makes me think they’re early 50’s. They have the Ostendo heel, which isn’t just branding, it denotes models which had a little rubber pad below the heel, in between the insole and outsole - something AE did on-and-off for decades (which was of dubious value).

If you’re into vintage, this pair is for sale here: https://shopboardwalkvintage.com/shop/allen-edmonds-strawfut-mesh-brogue-wingtip-oxford-shoes

Okay, I’ll stop the shoe nerdery now.
Impressive.

Last edited:

knezz

Reaction score

View attachment 2042629

View attachment 2042631
There is quite a bit of air flow with these on a hot summer's day. Another benefit, they are extremely light and comfortable.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m confused by this post. Then again, I’m confused by many things. That said, the 3344 chili weave Crandon is super bitchin and should be worn at any place or time, for any occasion. This includes funerals held in the middle of a blizzard.

You're back!

TS offerings aside, is it just me or is the current AE color palette kinda ho-hum, not very exciting? Aside from Navy in a few models, it's sort of gotten stale.

Yes, it has. But I think it's because they send all the unusual colors to the sneakers. Another reason I'm resentful of the sneaker lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michealhardy