• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moeck14

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Paging @donkeyhoatie. With this news, maybe our friends should scoop a snuff Freeport? Perhaps in a second?

I'll be interested to see how the Carter does. At first glance, I see what they were trying to do. It's just not for me.

Outside of the tag, the Freeport seemed to be a fav for many here. I'd have loved a denim 'port this TS - especially if it was announced that it was going away.
Very sad to hear the Freeport going away. Definitely my favorite AE boot in Natty shell. Would have loved a pair in denim shell as well. Don't love the Carter look at all

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On a beautiful fall day I am off to watch two skilled teams face off on the football field. An inspiring display of strength, speed, strategy. and yes, even bravery that 7-8 year boys have ever matched.

IMG_3352.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I visited the Costa Mesa store last Thursday afternoon. While I knew the shell samples had already moved on to Century City, I still wanted to check out the newer models I hadn’t yet seen in person. Plus always good to shoot the **** with the guys. I’ll share my impressions and what I remember.
  • As of 9/28, Costa Mesa has sold 20 trunk show pairs. They were hoping for 30 but seemed content with the 20 with the weekend to go.
  • Belts seemed to be a hit.
  • Denim is the star of the show. UV is quite bright.
  • Dan thinks the MacNeil will return. I remember Byron who was let go during 2020 had told me previously he thought the same, but that was 4 years ago now!
  • The Freeport is going away. The Carter is taking its place.
  • I like the Carter especially in Teak. The last is similar to the HM but slightly slimmer. If you want a/more Freeport, RDA is coming. I know I will be strongly considering getting one. Carter:
View attachment 2037933
The leather joins look like shart. This is why I hate the style…I get it…they can use two smaller pieces of leather to make the forefoot as opposed to just style stitching on a full panel, but AE doesn’t have the craftsmen to do it well. Clearly.
Also, how thin is that leather?!? Looks as thin as electrocoat. And I talk crap on that with every customer visit by saying it’s an insult to paper calling it paper thin.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leather joins look like shart. This is why I hate the style…I get it…they can use two smaller pieces of leather to make the forefoot as opposed to just style stitching on a full panel, but AE doesn’t have the craftsmen to do it well. Clearly.
Also, how thin is that leather?!? Looks as thin as electrocoat. And I talk crap on that with every customer visit by saying it’s an insult to paper calling it paper thin.

The edges could be skived. I definitely agree that it is a much weaker offering than the Freeport. I think the weird colored lugged soles on the Freeport were was really held it back.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I visited the Costa Mesa store last Thursday afternoon. While I knew the shell samples had already moved on to Century City, I still wanted to check out the newer models I hadn’t yet seen in person. Plus always good to shoot the **** with the guys. I’ll share my impressions and what I remember.
  • As of 9/28, Costa Mesa has sold 20 trunk show pairs. They were hoping for 30 but seemed content with the 20 with the weekend to go.
  • Belts seemed to be a hit.
  • Denim is the star of the show. UV is quite bright.
  • Dan thinks the MacNeil will return. I remember Byron who was let go during 2020 had told me previously he thought the same, but that was 4 years ago now!
  • The Freeport is going away. The Carter is taking its place.
  • I like the Carter especially in Teak. The last is similar to the HM but slightly slimmer. If you want a/more Freeport, RDA is coming. I know I will be strongly considering getting one. Carter:
View attachment 2037933

So they are getting rid of one of their nicest boots, the Freeport, for a less nice version of that boot. That sucks.

Boo on this.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree that the Freeport is nice, but what makes the Carter not as nice?
Basically the vamp/tongue sewn to the rest of the upper. Like a handsewn boot. If you like the moc toe design, it ain’t bad. I just wish AE would just make a quality material boot from upper to sole. When they get the upper right/they use a cheap sole and visa versa.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So they are getting rid of one of their nicest boots, the Freeport, for a less nice version of that boot. That sucks.

Boo on this.
I seem to remember that the Freeport was just a terrible knock off of the Alden Indy. As a matter of fact, @donkeyhoatie was one of the few proponents of the style. I only bought one as a TS as I was not a fan of the sole.
IMG_7451.jpeg

In Shell with double JR. Real good. While the Chapman hit the sole and welt combo for me, but the upper materials definitely cut some corners.
IMG_7453.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember that the Freeport was just a terrible knock off of the Alden Indy. As a matter of fact, @donkeyhoatie was one of the few proponents of the style. I only bought one as a TS as I was not a fan of the sole. View attachment 2038355
In Shell with double JR. Real good. While the Chapman hit the sole and welt combo for me, but the upper materials definitely cut some corners. View attachment 2038357

The sole is very gummy on the Freeport and has shown some serious wear after relatively short amounts of wear. I still wear it frequently, as it is great for casual use, but I am worried I am going to dig through the soles sooner than anyone can reasonably expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariaAguirre