• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
THe outsole looks extremely cheap. Why would I want an injected rubber outsole on a welted shoe?

82a6d6749017d98aa276547b7e9d174c.gif
Cause it is cheaper to make. Since the people like lighter shoes, who knows why, they sell better. AE has been testing cheaper to make shoes like the Denali for quite some time.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can anyone who has a pair of shoes/boots with the XL Extralight lugged sole comment on the durability? Is it rubber or foam? How is the traction on wet surfaces? Better or worse than Dainite?
I have had the Tupelo for at least 3 years. Asking me about durability is a difficult question. At over 100 pairs that is hard to tell. They are very springy, which makes me think that they are some type of foam. I have less wear in them than many of my leather soles that I wear less. Traction is very good. I wear these in snow and rain all the time. I think a pair of these is good for a boot or something more casual that you would wear in sloppy conditions. Better or worse than Dainite? Let’s just say that the sneaker loving world would like them better than Dainite.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who has a pair of shoes/boots with the XL Extralight lugged sole comment on the durability? Is it rubber or foam? How is the traction on wet surfaces? Better or worse than Dainite?

I haven't had mine long enough to comment on durability, though my hunch is that it won't come close to lasting the way Dainite does. On the other hand, much better grip on wet (we'll wait and see about snow and ice) and much better cushioning and comfort than my Dainite soles.

Peitron

Reaction score
My experience is that it's extremely light, seems to wear quicker than dainite, it doesn't appear to be foam, just very soft and airy rubber, and, at least on my Higgins Mills, doesn't do much for arch support.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As we inch closer to Shelltember, let the Great "Are They Really Football Leather?" Debate begin:

View attachment 2011681
These all look good but I would have tweaked two of them. I wish the contrast welt was a little less contrast and the white sole on the sneaker was closer to the colors of the laces or gum color. But if football/knockoff football leather is your thing, these are a win I think.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can’t get a picture that I like, so you will have to accept these.
IMG_7451.jpeg
IMG_7450.jpeg

With and without sun.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THe outsole looks extremely cheap. Why would I want an injected rubber outsole on a welted shoe?

82a6d6749017d98aa276547b7e9d174c.gif

Uh, cheaper "resoles"... I guess? Just glue a new one on.

They grip better than Dainite. They do literally everything else worse.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you say they're more comfortable than Dainite though?

Comfort is subjective. The lug soles feel like marshmallows, especially with the layer of Poron under the footbed (which I usually tear out). I find Dainite to be more supportive which to me is more comfortable. There's a place for the soft squishy sole but it's not my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Graceoko