• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 2018 Best of WAYWT (SWD edition)

baltimoron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy 2019 everyone!

As we celebrate the new year, I want to take a quick moment to celebrate some of the best of Styleforum in 2018. That's right, I've once again compiled our top rated fits. This year's list now includes the top 100 posts as well as a newcomer category that I'll explain below. Albums are linked in each header*.

*Side note: This year I'm hosting albums on Google Photos, since I hate imgur and imagepost decided to delete my previous album. If there's any issue in accessing the albums let me know and I can find alternative hosting services. Also, photos are sorted randomly in each album, so the order does not correspond to the number of thumbs for each.

The Top 100
One thing that's clear from this album is that if 2017 was the the year of @conceptual 4est, 2018 was the year of @penanceroyaltea. It seems everything that man does turns to gold (seriously, follow him on insta to see). Despite Prt's domination (over 10% of the top thumbed fits this year), 51 different users contributed to the top 100. One of my favorite parts of this process is getting to see the diversity of styles we have here, and I think the number of different users in this album is indicative of that variability of interests.

Unique users: 51
Mean thumbs per fit: 13.4
Median thumbs per fit: 7
Max thumbs: 66
Min thumbs necessary to make top 100: 50

The distribution of thumbs for 2018
density_2018.png

The Newcomers (kind of)
One trend you'll probably notice is that our top thumb farmers are veterans of the site. In this section, I want to highlight the top 25 (edit: scratch that, now 50!) fits from some of the new posters to SWD WAYWT in 2018. You'll notice I put 'kind of' in the header here and that's because I set the criteria for this list to only include users that posted in 2018 that did not post in 2017, so older users that did not post in 2017 were included. I hope many of the new and returning users continue to keep posting and adding to the community.

The Top 50 CM fits
Finally, I think it's healthy to get as many different perspectives about clothes as we can. To that end, I compiled the top 50 fits from the HOF: WAYRN thread on the CM side*.

*I have a feeling that inevitably, someone is going to use this to try and snipe at the other side of the forum so I'm going to try to preempt that by saying there are many things to learn about color, texture, and fit from one another. This is one such opportunity to do so.

The Best of SWD WAYWT - 2017
Because imagepost deleted my previous album. I also expanded this album to include the top 100 from that year.

Last edited:

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great work compiling all of these. Some great stuff this year, and some notable absences from folks from years past. Still wonder if the loss of some of those dudes and the downward trend in overall and median likes can be traced to the platform migration of 2017. Honestly I thought the changes in usability were minimal but there seems to have been a drop off (more so on this side vs CM) that has persisted.

From the CM top 50 it seems clear that nobody using an iPhone for their fit pics is breaking into that lineup; really great photo quality and composition in that cohort.

I’m going to go back and dig up a few of my favorite fits from SWD 2018, it would be cool to see what stood out for others as well in this thread.

baltimoron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great work compiling all of these. Some great stuff this year, and some notable absences from folks from years past. Still wonder if the loss of some of those dudes and the downward trend in overall and median likes can be traced to the platform migration of 2017. Honestly I thought the changes in usability were minimal but there seems to have been a drop off (more so on this side vs CM) that has persisted.

From the CM top 50 it seems clear that nobody using an iPhone for their fit pics is breaking into that lineup; really great photo quality and composition in that cohort.

I’m going to go back and dig up a few of my favorite fits from SWD 2018, it would be cool to see what stood out for others as well in this thread.

I think the downward trend has been discussed in RFT before as a combination of the natural turnover and the availability of alternative mediums (namely ig). One thing that I want to do is go back and collect images from previous years so that newer users can experience fits from kgfan, ghostface, diniro, and many others. It would also be interesting to see how styles evolve across time. One thing I've always appreciated about SF is that there's so much depth. It's one of the reasons it can be tough to get into, but at the same time it offers a lot of material to go back through and explore.

I'll try and drop a few of my favorite fits from this year here as well.

induere_to

Reaction score
Top 50 CM!

:slayer:

I'm famous now. Thanks!

ShoutOutsFoMyBo

Reaction score
koy really killed it this year

edit: not necessarily a bad thing but it doesn’t seem like too many people are swinging for the fences like in 2013-15. much more casual vibe right now. i guess nobody wants to look like an oligarch’s dope ninja son anymore

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made it! Twice!! I can die happy now.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aww shucks. Just happy to contribute when I can!

Thanks for the hard work compiling this list!! The older years top 100 have been a real trip!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads