• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 2007 NBA Playoffs

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
What's crazy is the fact that both have a good bench as well, with Utah likely getting the nod as the better.

Really? Oops! I just described our bench as a plus in an email to my Dad... I clearly haven't been paying enough attention to Utah this season.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I don't know if i'd say utah has the advantage. I mean, turiaf, sasha, farmar, and walton are pretty solid and relatively even to harpring, milsap and korver. Those 3 are really good but the lakers have been going 9 and sometimes 10 deep this season while the jazz very rarely go higher than 8. Though you could argue that the jazz's 3 bench players are better than the lakers 3 best bench players.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wha--?

I think the Lakers may have the best bench in the league. Utah's is very good, with Korver, Milsap, and Harpring, as is Boston's (with freebies Sam Cassell and P. J. Brown) and Detroit's (a very underrated and physical second unit), but the best benches in the league belong to the Lakers and the Spurs.

The Lakers' bench is the second-highest scoring second unit in the league; what's especially good about the Lakers' second unit is that it changes the tempo of the game, forcing the opposing teams to make radical adjustments to how they play. The Lakers' first unit is primarily a halfcourt team that runs the triangle, while their second unit is a more freewheeling team that scores a lot of baskets in transition and from threes. Farmar, Vujacic, and Walton are all smart players who can put up points in a hurry, and Turiaf is a really good energy player who can defend and also stick the midrange jumper. Keep in mind also that the bench will be further bolstered by the imminent return of Trevor Ariza, who is long and athletic and was brought in to defend against the Ginobilis and LeBrons of the world. If Bynum ever returns, he will come off the bench, but eventually he will return to the starting lineup and Radmanovic will start launching his wild shots with the second unit. (To be fair, Radmanovic has been more than adequate as a starter, although he still makes more than his fair share of head-scratching plays.)

The Spurs have a very good second unit headed by Manu Ginobili, who is one of the best shooting guards in the league. That skews things a bit, but they also have Udoka (basically a Bowen clone), Kurt Thomas, Brent Barry, and Stoudamire (whose minutes have taken a significantly dip of late) coming off the bench--all heady veterans who know their role.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I don't know if i'd say utah has the advantage. I mean, turiaf, sasha, farmar, and walton are pretty solid and relatively even to harpring, milsap and korver. Those 3 are really good but the lakers have been going 9 and sometimes 10 deep this season while the jazz very rarely go higher than 8. Though you could argue that the jazz's 3 bench players are better than the lakers 3 best bench players.
Don't forget Brewer and Price....even though D. Will is the better distributer and offensive manager, Price can be a dead eye 3 point shooter, capable of creating his own shot. Either way, this will be good series....and I have no interest in seeing Utah advance, especially after annihilating my Rocks.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landho

The Spurs have a very good second unit headed by Manu Ginobili, who is one of the best shooting guards in the league. That skews things a bit, but they also have Udoka (basically a Bowen clone), Kurt Thomas, Brent Barry, and Stoudamire (whose minutes have taken a significantly dip of late) coming off the bench--all heady veterans who know their role.

We're not even going to start on SA's bench.....

Dekayte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
On topic: I would like to say that the Mavs won't get closed out tonight, just because I'd like to see them have a little pride, but I have to be honest, I don't see it. I think they're done.

PHX and Houston win. (I know I'm going to regret this. Once again, I reserve the right to claim that someone hijacked my computer....)

Washington is gone, and with them the best off-court drama of the entire first round.
frown.gif

I pretty much agree with these picks.

Dallas should win, just out of sheer drive. They have a lot more riding on this game than NO does. AJ is going to get owned if they get knocked out. Dirk + Kidd + rest of the old guys are running out of time.

Houston can do it, I believe they can pull another win out.

The only thing about PHX is that SA is one win from closing the series and they definitely know how to close. Not to mention it's in SA (but I guess that doesn't mean that much since PHX took two in the regular season)

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
brewer starts and i don't see price getting much run against the lakers in close games. More of a regular season kinda player. I like brewer though. He has been having a great season and definitely deserves that starting gig.
I was not aware exactly of how good Utah's starters and bench were, until after watching some of the latter games in the season, as well as the play-offs, they're very physical/borderline dirty. On the road, their a pretty good team, it's at home that they shine the most (only lost 5 games at home regular/post season).

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God, I hate San Antonio. If the Spurs can win three in a row, why can't the Suns?

Also, I kind of want the Suns to win so I can save face versus Brian278
frown.gif

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
brewer starts and i don't see price getting much run against the lakers in close games. More of a regular season kinda player. I like brewer though. He has been having a great season and definitely deserves that starting gig.
I can agree,
D. Williams is playing injured, but as long as he suits up, I don't see Price getting much burn.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dekayte

The only thing about PHX is that SA is one win from closing the series and they definitely know how to close. Not to mention it's in SA (but I guess that doesn't mean that much since PHX took two in the regular season)

I know...it doesn't look to good.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jannero Pargo made a deal with the devil!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?#????!!!????

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Well, there it went. CP with a triple double, and a really nice effort by the Mavs, but it just wasn't enough. Sorry there M from P, I was pulling for your guys for this game.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in full panic mode. The Mavs Suk. And they aren't getting better.

What can the Mav's get for a $21MM expiring contract on a guy who's going to be 78 years old next year?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads