1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The 2007 NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Saucemaster, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Game 4 between GS and The Jazz was entertaining. GS is very athletic and acrobatic but in the end their terrible shooting percentage in the paint and the botched free throw shooting combined with Utah's tenacious D sealed their fate. I certainly hope they can pull something off in Game 5 but they lacked discipline tonight, badly though through shots etc.

2. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Senior member

Yeah, it looks like it is all over for GS. It doesn't look like they have anything left. If AK-47 can pick up his game like in games 1 and 2, Utah is going to be tough against Phoenix or SA. I'm a Jazz fan, so I'm hoping the Suns can come back because I don't want to see Tim Duncan...

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

I'm a Spurs fan, but I completely agree with you. My theory is that Amare brought that on himself by running his mouth between games. No official wants to be shown up, and by saying the Spurs were dirty he did just that.

I think it cost GS a lot whining incessantly to the refs tonight as well.

4. whacked

whacked Senior member

I'm a Spurs fan, but I completely agree with you. My theory is that Amare brought that on himself by running his mouth between games. No official wants to be shown up, and by saying the Spurs were dirty he did just that.

I think it cost GS a lot whining incessantly to the refs tonight as well.

That's rather disconcerning, how the refs call games shouldn't have anything to do with off-the-court matter. [​IMG]

Man, I really want to see a Jazz-Suns matchup now. Bring back memories of the Malone/Stockton vs. Barkley/Majerle series...

5. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

I'll preface the following by saying I hate it when fans, players, coaches, execs, or sportswriters bitch about officiating, and in general I think the old adage about great teams being able to overcome calls that don't go their way is true. Except sometimes it's not, and last night was one of those times. I haven't seen such shockingly one-sided officiating since last year's Finals; it was so bad it was almost comical. Duncan fouled out, they just didn't bother to call his last two, and Bowen hacked just about everyone on the Suns at least once in the fourth quarter (and Nash on a regular basis) and got away with it. Just absurd.

There were some (non-)calls that were absolutely ludicrous during that game. At least two or three times during the game they showed a replay where a ref was staring STRAIGHT AT one of the Suns as they drove the lane, got an arm across the face/forearm/etc, hit the deck, and there was no call at all. I will say, though, that I don't think that the refs were intentionally throwing it the Spurs way. I think that they allowed too much contact too early in the game, and from then on they were in sort of a bind--they'd already sent the players the message that they were just going to let them play as much as possible all night, but they still had to call fouls, so instead of consistently calling certain types of contact, the calls ended up being more or less randomly distributed. It was truly pathetic, though.

6. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

My theory is that Amare brought that on himself by running his mouth between games. No official wants to be shown up, and by saying the Spurs were dirty he did just that.

Entirely possible; obviously, I agree with whacked, but unfortunately it often does matter.

I'll stand by my earlier statement that the Spurs have lost a step (although that still leaves them in the league's top tier), and while they're still strong defensively I think they're compensating with occasional sloppiness and, yes, cheap shots. I don't mean cheap shots with the intent to injure - I see what Amare meant, but I don't think they're dirty - but cheap shots that less talented teams and players take all the time because they think they can get away with them. The thing is, I think the Spurs have figured out that they can get away with them a lot of the time - they've always been a classy team, and have earned a lot of respect from the refs as a result.

JMO, of course, and regardless they're well-deserving of a place in the conference finals; they play tough, smart basketball and were the best team over the second half of the season. I just wish the refs would let them earn it on the court without making it look like the Spurs are getting a helping hand.

7. Saucemaster

8. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

You don't think he's from Phoenix or Dallas or Detroit do you?

I think what Horry did tonight really sucked.

He's gonna get 3-5 games.

But Diaw and Stoudemire are gonna get 1 each...

My $.02 anyway.

9. Saucemaster

You don't think he's from Phoenix or Dallas or Detroit do you?

I think what Horry did tonight really sucked.

He's gonna get 3-5 games.

But Diaw and Stoudemire are gonna get 1 each...

My $.02 anyway.

I really hope Diaw and Stoudemire don't get suspended, but if they do, it would be pretty amusing that Horry's cheap shot would turn out to be his biggest shot of the series....

10. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Senior member

The Suns should put in Eric Piatkowski to cause some trouble when Duncan and Parker on the bench...

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

They don't call him Big (Cheap) Shot Rob for nothing.

Seriously, I think it tarnished his great legacy, perhaps permanently.

12. visionology

visionology Senior member

I hate Horry but the guy is not stupid. He did it in direct view of everyone with no other people around them. My guess is it was intentional because he knew what would happen. He is known for playing dirty so it doesn't hurt his image any really.

13. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Senior member

WOOHOO!!! GO WARRIORS!

(gotta keep it going folks....)

I still believe, and the dude at the gas station pump next to me does too!

14. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Oh god, don't be so dramatic. It was a hard foul, nothing more. This is the playoffs.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I don't think it changes his legacy at all. I've followed Horry since he played with the Lakers, and this is hardly a departure for him. I'm guessing he intended a hard foul, but didn't intend to injure. But trying to provoke a technical foul and/or ejection from a star player on the other team is certainly not out of character. Nor is, despite his generally easy-going demeanor, stupid hot-headedness. I can remember more than one occasion when he really hurt the Lakers in key games by picking up technicals for taking a swing, or threatening to take a swing, at players he thought had taken a cheap shot at him. I can remember a specific instance, late in a game in the Finals against Indiana I think, when he got hit with a critical technical after cocking his fist at someone in this weird pseudo-martial arts manner.

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I hate Horry but the guy is not stupid. He did it in direct view of everyone with no other people around them. My guess is it was intentional because he knew what would happen. He is known for playing dirty so it doesn't hurt his image any really.

I don't know if he's known for playing dirty, but as I commented in my other post the fact that he's an intelligent guy doesn't mean that he doesn't lose his head and do stupid things in the heat of the moment.

17. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Down by 19 in the third and we end up winning by 7, kiss the Bulls goodbye.

Game 6 here we come.

koji

18. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I think you're confusing Horry with Bowen.

koji

19. visionology

visionology Senior member

Yeah Bowen is the dirtier player but I remember Horry with some cheap shots when he was with the Lakers.

Yay, the bulls won. They finally decided to show up.

20. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Kirilenko=Pterodactyl.

And not in a good way.

Stephen Jackson needs to pass the ball. He's killing the Warriors. If pietrus could make free throws, Jackson's ass oughta be on the bench.