Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The $10,000 dollar Panama hat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ivan Kipling, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

'A hat this finely woven requires nearly five hundred hours of the most skilled hand craftsmanship in the world, from six different artisans. Think of hiring the world's best fine cabinetmakers by the hour, then do the math. The hat is a deal.' Available at Hartford York.
    [​IMG]

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I've also seen some $30,000 Panama hats.

3. Ivan Kipling

Label King, I'll bet you have!

4. Shoe-nut

Shoe-nut Senior member

I got involved in this Panama Hat thing many years ago and I can't say I understand what all the fuss is about. Now that I own a few and seldom wear them I don't feel that the added expense is worth the end result. Very few people have ever taken note of them only lumping them together with any old hat that someone would wear.

Give me a plain straw hat and I will be quite happy.

[​IMG]

Straw hat on left, middle vintage Panama and on right a Panama I bought a number of years ago new--both Montecristis.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Nice optimos. I'm planning on picking up a (non-$30,000) Panama soon with an optimo crown. Who's the maker of the vintage?

6. Shoe-nut

Shoe-nut Senior member

Hat is from the 40's or 50's but that is only a guess and the leather hat band has the marking Genuine Montecristi with no maker showing.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have an older panama hat that today would probably be priced at the $1000 point. Not quite the best, but still a nice one.

I understand that the pricing has to do with how fine the weaves are, but I'm not too sure on details.

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I understand that the pricing has to do with how fine the weaves are, but I'm not too sure on details.

Here are the details. .

9. Ivan Kipling

Shoe-nut, that's a lovely collection.
    Thanks, Tomasso. Terrific link. I wonder how many orders will be placed? Professional athletes, come to mind. What's ten thousand dollars to them? Women spend more than that on fur coats, too. This hat is a 'forever' piece. If I were young, had the money to spend, and felt convinced that this Panama was worth the money, I'd buy one.

10. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

A bit of unsolicited advice. I have a couple of Montecrisitis and the finer weaves are really something beautiful - they look almost like woven linen. But, the fine weaves (700+ wpsi) are less comfortable in really hot weather as they are too fine to allow for much ventilation. I would recommend something in the 200-400 wpsi range for an everyday Panama and save the finer weaves for evening, cooler Spring and Summer days or when you just want something really nice. A 200-400 wpsi hat is still a stunning hat. BTW anything from 100 to 200 wpsi is also a beautiful hat.

11. Ivan Kipling

Thanks, dopey. Here are two other examples, in a 'lesser' price range.
    [​IMG]

12. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Nice optimos. I'm planning on picking up a (non-$30,000) Panama soon with an optimo crown. Who's the maker of the vintage?

I believe (based on their website) Hartford York gets their Montecristis from Brent Black.

I, too, recently ordered a (non-$10,000) Montecristi (about 300 wpsi) from the folks in Tomasso's link and am awaiting its arrival. It will be in the classic fedora style.

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Yes, that's who I'm planning on ordering from as well. I've had some PMs with Bob at Fedora Lounge about it. His hats are highly recommended there, and he's also a regular member. The 300 wpsi level is probably what I'm aiming for, too.

14. Ivan Kipling

Now, I feel like ordering one . . . and I don't look good in hats.

15. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

The new BestLife magazine has some nice hats from Kelly Christy in the photos.

I like Panama hats but I'm not sure I would spend thousands of dollars.