• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That One Boot... Chelsea or Dress Work Boot?

Salanizi

Reaction score
Hello,

First post here!

I would really appreciate some advice with regards to my next boot purchase.

I live in a relatively warm environment where everyone wears sneakers and loafers most of the time, however it gets quite chilly in winter and I also travel frequently to London UK in the winter where it gets freezing cold.

I need to purchase a boot, and I have previously wasted a lot of money on boots that either don't fit right, are uncomfortable, or are just plain ugly and low quality (brands: Timbs, Cole Haan, Thursday's, clarks etc.)

I want to purchase just one boot, which would be versatile to wear with jeans, slacks and a blazer (business casual), suit, and maybe even sweatpants (street wear look). I like the look of the work dress boot more (derby lace-up), however I do realize that the chelsea with the elongated toe is more dressy and can work better with slacks or a suit.

I have narrowed it down to two boots,both from Loake:

1. Loake Chatsworth waxed suede Chelsea Made in England (the Chelsea - 1880 line):https://www.loake.co.uk/chatsworth-waxed-suede.html

2. Loake Shilton waxed suede cap toe boot made in India (design Loake line): https://www.loake.co.uk/shilton.html

both within my budget and very, very high quality boots (goodyear welted rubber/dainite soles)

Which one should I get that's more versatile and works with all my needs (Suits/business formal/jeans/sweatpants?)

Thanks

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry, you lost me at at "and maybe even sweatpants". After that, my brain stopped comprehending.

ColinYB

Reaction score
Hello,

First post here!

I would really appreciate some advice with regards to my next boot purchase.

I live in a relatively warm environment where everyone wears sneakers and loafers most of the time, however it gets quite chilly in winter and I also travel frequently to London UK in the winter where it gets freezing cold.

I need to purchase a boot, and I have previously wasted a lot of money on boots that either don't fit right, are uncomfortable, or are just plain ugly and low quality (brands: Timbs, Cole Haan, Thursday's, clarks etc.)

I want to purchase just one boot, which would be versatile to wear with jeans, slacks and a blazer (business casual), suit, and maybe even sweatpants (street wear look). I like the look of the work dress boot more (derby lace-up), however I do realize that the chelsea with the elongated toe is more dressy and can work better with slacks or a suit.

I have narrowed it down to two boots,both from Loake:

1. Loake Chatsworth waxed suede Chelsea Made in England (the Chelsea - 1880 line):https://www.loake.co.uk/chatsworth-waxed-suede.html

2. Loake Shilton waxed suede cap toe boot made in India (design Loake line): https://www.loake.co.uk/shilton.html

both within my budget and very, very high quality boots (goodyear welted rubber/dainite soles)

Which one should I get that's more versatile and works with all my needs (Suits/business formal/jeans/sweatpants?)

Thanks

I own two pairs of the Chatsworth (in waxed suede and black calf leather)

However reading your description, I'm not sure there is one boot that would (a) cover jeans, slacks, business casual, a suit AND sweatpants while at the same time (b) looking halfway decent

If you care about (b)(looking halfway decent) you will need 3 pairs of footwear.

That said, I would pick the 1880 Chatsworth over the Loake Shilton but waxed suede will only really work with jeans and maybe with slacks/business casual. It certainly won't with suits and definitely not with sweats.

You might have to put more thought into whether these two boots fit your needs.

Cheers

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
toss out the idea of finding a boot that will work with suits and sweatpants. Waxed suede is also very casual. A pair of dark brown calfskin chelseas or chukkas would work from a suit (just barely though) down to jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads