1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

That One Boot... Chelsea or Dress Work Boot?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Salanizi, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Salanizi

Salanizi New Member

Hello,

First post here!

I would really appreciate some advice with regards to my next boot purchase.

I live in a relatively warm environment where everyone wears sneakers and loafers most of the time, however it gets quite chilly in winter and I also travel frequently to London UK in the winter where it gets freezing cold.

I need to purchase a boot, and I have previously wasted a lot of money on boots that either don't fit right, are uncomfortable, or are just plain ugly and low quality (brands: Timbs, Cole Haan, Thursday's, clarks etc.)

I want to purchase just one boot, which would be versatile to wear with jeans, slacks and a blazer (business casual), suit, and maybe even sweatpants (street wear look). I like the look of the work dress boot more (derby lace-up), however I do realize that the chelsea with the elongated toe is more dressy and can work better with slacks or a suit.

I have narrowed it down to two boots,both from Loake:

1. Loake Chatsworth waxed suede Chelsea Made in England (the Chelsea - 1880 line):https://www.loake.co.uk/chatsworth-waxed-suede.html

2. Loake Shilton waxed suede cap toe boot made in India (design Loake line): https://www.loake.co.uk/shilton.html

both within my budget and very, very high quality boots (goodyear welted rubber/dainite soles)

Which one should I get that's more versatile and works with all my needs (Suits/business formal/jeans/sweatpants?)

Thanks

2. johng70

johng70 Senior Member

sorry, you lost me at at "and maybe even sweatpants". After that, my brain stopped comprehending.

3. ColinYB

ColinYB Member

I own two pairs of the Chatsworth (in waxed suede and black calf leather)

However reading your description, I'm not sure there is one boot that would (a) cover jeans, slacks, business casual, a suit AND sweatpants while at the same time (b) looking halfway decent

If you care about (b)(looking halfway decent) you will need 3 pairs of footwear.

That said, I would pick the 1880 Chatsworth over the Loake Shilton but waxed suede will only really work with jeans and maybe with slacks/business casual. It certainly won't with suits and definitely not with sweats.

You might have to put more thought into whether these two boots fit your needs.

Cheers

4. breakaway01

breakaway01 Distinguished Member

toss out the idea of finding a boot that will work with suits and sweatpants. Waxed suede is also very casual. A pair of dark brown calfskin chelseas or chukkas would work from a suit (just barely though) down to jeans.